Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

17 hours ago, Dales said:

Finally got to see Wet Leg last . Great and can see what all the fuss is about, they will be most welcome at any festivals I go to next year. The place went crazy when they ended on Chaise . Short gig and all over by 10pm. Think they just played the full .

It was a nice gig with the excellent Coach Party supporting, I got in to them last year after hearing them at a few festivals.

A nice was La Rue, the other support . Have to admit, I knew nothing about her before the gig and was pleasently surprised. She has a wondeful voice and a few decent tunes. Can see her having a big future and would be happy to see her again.

Yeah I know people seem to be getting a bit sick of hearing about them, but I went to the Nottingham show last night and fully agree with everything you said

It was a brilliant show, the energy was right up there, a surprisingly diverse mix of people in the crowd, and a lot of people screaming pretty much every word.

Also surprising how rowdy the show was, didn't really expect there to be as much moshing in the crowd as there was.

Coach Party I started listening to after seeing they were going to be supporting and really liked them, they put on a good show live too and will definitely be looking to see them again some time!

Saw Oranj Son on Wednesday. They really are such a good band - they seem to have had big breaks in the past and a few line up changes but this looks like a settled line up. Did all of their new album and a few new songs as well. I’ll be at this in December (might get to the Manchester one as well if I can help the Mrs get the Xmas shopping done).

32FA3074-F2E9-40AA-B02F-C9A42529F4FE.jpeg

Red Rum Club at Liverpool Olympia last night, great gig, they are such a good live act. Unsurprisingly it was a tremendous atmosphere, second of two sold out home town shows at the Olympia, everyone bellowing out every word.

Support from Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard. I was a little disappointed in their album and the live set shows why, it is almost like they'd turned down the guitar and drums on the recordings, maybe they wanted a wider appeal but live they have a lot more umph. 

20221126_224226.thumb.jpg.edd600b69f554472325ce63354ce5f42.jpg

20221126_215619.thumb.jpg.b182d1e672b796eb6c609fa124e8551b.jpg

20221126_204925.thumb.jpg.1ee9be52234c1765f82bb30f274cfe06.jpg

20221126_204919.jpg

Edited by Gnomicide

Jim Bob ex of Carter USM in London Saturday night. Great stuff. After years of seeing Jim tour his solo stuff and mostly do stripped down acoustic covers of the Carter stuff, instead this tour we got full band arrangements of those tracks, meaning it was considerably rocked up instead and fit much more with the rest of the set. 

Except for The Only Living Boy In New Cross which was done with solo piano. I've never seen people attempt to mosh to piano before!

Managed a couple of gigs yesterday. Firstly was Stormzy at one of his intimate album release shows. it was only a few songs but the addition of the backing singers made it feel very special. Interesting to see it was only slower songs though.

Then made it back for Working Men's Club at the Junction in Cambridge. They were great as they always seem to be and was happy with the number dancing towards the front!

Highlight of the day has to go to Scalping though (support for the latter show). I've seen them a couple of times but only in daylight meaning last night was something special. Easily one of my favourite sets all year.

20221127_142234.jpg

I saw Scalping and Working Men's Club in Cambridge too last night. Ears are still very much ringing as proper loud at parts! Both very good (although I think Scalping won last night) despite WMC basically banging through the set without a break and wondering off without saying a word all night.

First aid kit Glasgow. Good show, but nothing... new. A little hiccup at the beginning of one of the new songs meant some quite annoyed look from Klara to her sister. Nice audience. Making a show of having a sip or Irn Bru when playing in Scotland is a bit easy 😉

Looking forward to a Karaoke with a live band tonight. Always lovely to see people think they can do Queen when they drank enough.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's a bit. They do it every time.

I guess it's the equivalent of bands playing in the Netherlands and of course making a comment about going to a coffee shop. Comments usually met by whatever faces in the audience.

In Scotland, down a can at breakfast. Then we'll talk. 😛

Paul Heaton last night in Bridlington was on superb form. Gig was a rare "solo" outing as Jacqui Abott was poorly, but the band carried her missing vocals very well and paul did a fantastic version of Rotterdam.

Paul did briefly talk about housemartins and beautiful south reunions ( oh my god the beautiful south again would be phenomenal) but he did jokingly say he couldnt see his band having to go to the job centre as he'd have to sack them so it won't be happening.

Paul Heaton and the BS would be a perfect legend contender with guest housemartin appearances.  The man's an absolute songwriting genius and a national treasure. 

13 hours ago, moogster said:

First aid kit Glasgow. . Making a show of having a sip or Irn Bru when playing in Scotland is a bit easy 😉

, they done this the last time i seen them in glasgow. ii find things like that annoying and off putting... a bit like the old, "i heard you are so much louder than England" nonsense. just play the f+++in tunes 🙂

On 11/28/2022 at 11:12 AM, theesundayroast said:

Managed a couple of gigs yesterday. Firstly was Stormzy at one of his intimate album release shows. it was only a few songs but the addition of the backing singers made it feel very special. Interesting to see it was only slower songs though.

Then made it back for Working Men's Club at the Junction in Cambridge. They were great as they always seem to be and was happy with the number dancing towards the front!

Highlight of the day has to go to Scalping though (support for the latter show). I've seen them a couple of times but only in daylight meaning last night was something special. Easily one of my favourite sets all year.

20221127_142234.jpg

Stumbled across Scalping in the Crossaint Neuf a couple of years ago. Had never heard of them but they were brilliant. 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, moogster said:

I guess it's the equivalent of bands playing in the Netherlands and of course making a comment about going to a coffee shop. Comments usually met by whatever faces in the audience.

In Scotland, down a can at breakfast. Then we'll talk. 😛

It doesn't happen as often as it used to but I've heard some really shit Beatles covers knocked together because an act is playing Liverpool. 

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It doesn't happen as often as it used to but I've heard some really shit Beatles covers knocked together because an act is playing Liverpool. 

I can't seem to remember but I feel like several non-UK artists tried Wonderwall at Glastonbury , seeing it somehow as THE tune to play (Jay Z being of course the known and definitely appropriate one)

2 hours ago, theciderviking said:

Abba Voyage last nighy. Just WOW! 🤩

I’m honestly still not convinced that I wasn’t watching Abba live on stage, it was that good. And the light show is phenomenal. 😍

Jen from The Lounge Kittens (whom I'm sure many Efesters will know) is their current musical director. 

First Aid Kit at Cambridge Corn Exchange ... top class as normal.

The new tunes are great live and I think they could have been braver and played A Felling That Never Came in the encore..

also a beautiful rendition of Songbird as a very moving tribute to Chrissie McVie.

28 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

First Aid Kit at Cambridge Corn Exchange ... top class as normal.

The new tunes are great live and I think they could have been braver and played A Felling That Never Came in the encore..

also a beautiful rendition of Songbird as a very moving tribute to Chrissie McVie.

Interesting I was at First Aid Kit when I found out about her death and did expect them to mention it but they didn't. I'm guessing they didn't feel prepared enough to do a tribute and have been practicing it. 

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Interesting I was at First Aid Kit when I found out about her death and did expect them to mention it but they didn't. I'm guessing they didn't feel prepared enough to do a tribute and have been practicing it. 

They said precisely that… that they had been practising all day..