Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

The Hold Steady last night in Campden Electric Ballroom - fantastic as usual - I genuinely don't think there's a better live band on the planet.

Having said that, I didn't think the sound in the Ballroom was as good as usual. Didn't stop me absolutely loving it though. 

Last night went to Say She She at The Ritz. They were fantastic. Voices in fine form. Lovely Talking Heads cover. The crowd well up for it. Great to see them doing so well. 

They were supported by Nia Wynn from North Wales who also sounded good. 

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5888.jpeg

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Last night went to Say She She at The Ritz. They were fantastic. Voices in fine form. Lovely Talking Heads cover. The crowd well up for it. Great to see them doing so well. 

Also saw Say She She over the weekend, although Bristol. Brilliant gig - great fun live.

Nia Wynn was not for me though - very Rag N Bone Man type 'soul'. Could see them doing well with that sort of crowd though.

20 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Going to see these guys tonight, will report back.

What did you think? I saw them at Barn on the Farm last year and really liked them, they seem to have had some pretty nice support slots recently too so seem to be on a strong upwards trajectory 

Pixies last night at the O2 Forum. Thought they were great and will echo what has already been said and Emma was good.

All, I would say that playing 2 albums in Full Boas Nova & Tropue Le Monde might be a bit much. Fine, if your a fan but for the person dragged along like my partner, an album in full and second set of hits might be a better way to go. When we bought the tickets, it was not billed as a double album show. Really, looking forward to seeing them again in the summer at Victorious.

Assumed that tour had been advertised as such - would definitely have sold my ticket, as a casual fan.

The Smile at Hammersmith last Sunday were absolutely magnificent - easily the best I've seen Thom & Johnny play together since The Park in 2010. I'm not sure how well it will work in Ally Pally on a Saturday night - the Apollo was the ideal venue for that vibe.

We saw Cannons at Tolhuistuin Club in Amsterdam last night. They were fantastic. Really tight live band and Michelle Joy’s voice was flawless. Much smaller venue than I had anticipated with a capacity of just under 200 but fantastic sound and a cool location just over the water from the centre. Great band that I hope get a little more traction in Europe following this tour. 

On 3/11/2024 at 3:55 PM, gigpusher said:

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5888.jpeg

Great band. Fantastic tunes and such a tight band. Plus you can tell they all love playing live, which I love to see. Saw them twice last year and can’t wait to see them again. 👌

OMD at the Bristol Beacon tonight.  I think the venue is being very well supported by the locals, as with other things I've seen here it appeared sold out and they went down very well.   As an aside, it's well run for drinks and other facilities and the acoustics are fabulous. 

Their set is finely honed, their voices still sound great, they've got a good visual and light show and a very adoring fan base. 

Also if you're in your fifties it's refreshing to go to a gig with plenty of folks who are clearly older (their oldest tunes are from the 70s). 

20240319_205041.jpg

20240319_220036.jpg

20240319_221442.jpg

• Like 1

Inspiral Carpets at Amp Stockport. Smallest venue I have seen them in and loudest, sweatiest gig I’ve been to in some time. Very good fun. Clint Boon was clearly enjoying the smaller venue chatting to friends and fans who have been watching them for years. 

IMG_5923.jpeg

IMG_5921.jpeg

IMG_5919.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Inspiral Carpets at Amp Stockport. Smallest venue I have seen them in and loudest, sweatiest gig I’ve been to in some time. Very good fun. Clint Boon was clearly enjoying the smaller venue chatting to friends and fans who have been watching them for years. 

IMG_5923.jpeg

IMG_5921.jpeg

IMG_5919.jpeg

that looks great!

i've only ever seen them twice - once at Glastonbury and once at some festival in Nottingham way back...

but that looks great fun!

22 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

that looks great!

i've only ever seen them twice - once at Glastonbury and once at some festival in Nottingham way back...

but that looks great fun!

Always good to see a bigger band in a small for them venue. Just makes everything a little rawer. I saw them at Band on the Wall a few years ago and thought that was the smallest venue I would ever see them at but this was even smaller.

I've only see Inspiral Carpets once and that was when they headlined Reading Festival. I remember I wasn't really bothered about them beforehand but very much enjoyed their set. On checking the poster, Pixies (mentioned a few posts earlier) also headlined that year but I have zero recollection of their set.

To be honest, I don't remember many sets from this year. Probably because a) it was a very long time ago and b) we spent a lot of time in the pubs round town. I was mainly there for Jane's Addiction and they pulled out last minute.

reading--1990-main-stage-ad.jpg  

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I've only see Inspiral Carpets once and that was when they headlined Reading Festival. I remember I wasn't really bothered about them beforehand but very much enjoyed their set. On checking the poster, Pixies (mentioned a few posts earlier) also headlined that year but I have zero recollection of their set.

To be honest, I don't remember many sets from this year. Probably because a) it was a very long time ago and b) we spent a lot of time in the pubs round town. I was mainly there for Jane's Addiction and they pulled out last minute.

That was a fantastic year, as was 1991 & 1992. The Cramps still rate as one of my all time favourite performances...

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm probably biased because I love them but I do think they are the most underrated of the 'Madchester' bands. They have always been great fun live as well.