Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

2 hours ago, becs94 said:

I was also at Leeds o2 last night for Carly and thought it was a great set! Crossing my fingers she makes a glasto appearance!

Only downside to the gig was the venue imo. Every time I've been to a gig there the floor always seems so cramped and it's hard to find a decent spot! 

Yeah you’re right about the venue, it’s grubby and in desperate need of a refurb. We were somewhere in the middle of the crowd, bit cramped but thankfully everyone around us was very polite.

I’d prefer artists to play elsewhere but it’s the only medium sized music venue in Leeds unfortunately. 

Edited by Punisher

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Ah, you do! But they weren't for sale when I checked the other week, as in they weren't an option at all. Just assumed it was shut for the show.

I think there’s a limit of how many people can be up there. I saw people up there during the show but security stopped my friend from trying to go up beforehand.

The balcony sides were definitely closed to the general public though.

Edited by Punisher

10 hours ago, slip-slop-slap said:

What sites do you use to keep up with who is touring? At the moment I just seem to click through half a dozen gig guides and wouldn't mind hearing if there's a better way. London based if it matters. 

Caught the Subways last week and they sounded great

Bands In Town is pretty handy for gig listings

14 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

Kid Kapichi at the Brudenell were on awesome form last night, really hope they get a slot on the Farm. Left field would be a good fit

Is everybody around Leeds these days? Good lads and lasses!

16 hours ago, Punisher said:

I’d prefer artists to play elsewhere but it’s the only medium sized music venue in Leeds unfortunately. 

There's the new Bradford Live venue opening at some point just down the road - they're refurbishing the old Odeon. It'll be a 4,000-capacity venue in line with Apollo-esque acts, I'd imagine - think it'll siphon traffic from the O2 Academy and the First Direct Arena's smaller shows hand-in-hand.

What sites do you use to keep up with who is touring? At the moment I just seem to click through half a dozen gig guides and wouldn't mind hearing if there's a better way. London based if it matters. 

Ents24, or I rely on this motley crew here for their recommendations.

As much as I find it awful as a social media, twitter is perfect for this imo. Following bands I like/ venues I go to fairly often is a really good way to be in the know fairly early on 

I tend to follow my favourite artists so see their tour dates and also just look at the listings for my favourite venues semi regularly to see if there's anything on that I'm interested in. 

Saw Florence and the Machine at the Hydro last week and it was very good. Better than the last couple of times seeing her. A few of the new album tracks were highlights.

However, she was absolutely trumped by Carly Rae Jepsen last night at the Academy. What a joy. 
CA16DA57-F0FB-46C8-84BF-D89593D6E03B.thumb.jpeg.5b8e10b29f66c3c8686d13d4800be103.jpeg

Going to Young Fathers in Edinburgh on Friday which should be amazing. Hopefully get closer to an hour but I’ll take less if it’s as good as previous posters have said. 

12 hours ago, slip-slop-slap said:

Echoing Twitter (artists, record labels, promoters and venues), the Tour Announcement and New Music threads on here, and also the sister site eGigs.co.uk.  That lets you filter by location, venue or artists to see what's on, and generally has a lot of tour announcements. 

The only downside (correct me if I'm wrong @eFestivals) is that it doesn't list EVERY gig on at a venue as it can depend on promoter / ticketing agent.  It's also not an exhaustive list of venues, but personally I find it the easiest single-source go to when I can't be arsed to trawl multiple sites,

Edited by Quark

12 hours ago, slip-slop-slap said:

I use Songkick, you can track a city/ town and link it to your spotify to track your favourite artists. So it will give me a notification if James Blake is in town for example.

41 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Seeing universal praise for Jeppo's tour. Getting my partner all kinds of excited for Sunday's show in Bristol. Thanks for the feedback, all

Still can't believe how good she was live - as someone above said it was absolutely joyous - such a fun night.  

She really is a strange one - the amount of people I have mentioned to and you get the raised eyebrows and then the "she's the Call Me Maybe singer, right?"  She has got bangers for days - 26 songs played in Dublin and she still had to leave out Your Type, Cry, This Love isn't Crazy, Comeback and many more

Edited by circus92

Saw Weyes Blood at the Roundhouse last night. Cracking gig, with amazing live vocals and an incredible visual collaboration with Adam Curtis being projected behind her for one of the best new album songs. Also top tier merch. Downside though was as usual standing crowd not knowing what to do for a quiet act and being weird/obnoxious. Didn't help that Natalie's stage banter was some of the most awkward I've ever seen. You can tell she's nice and sincere but she came across very cringe in-between songs, rambling for a bit too long and engaging with crowd weirdos. Great music though, so she gets away with it.

9 hours ago, chickenfire said:
Saw Florence and the Machine at the Hydro last week and it was very good. Better than the last couple of times seeing her. A few of the new album tracks were highlights.

However, she was absolutely trumped by Carly Rae Jepsen last night at the Academy. What a joy. 

Going to Young Fathers in Edinburgh on Friday which should be amazing. Hopefully get closer to an hour but I’ll take less if it’s as good as previous posters have said. 

I'm seeing them in Manchester really looking forward to it last time I saw them only played just over an hour but packed in so much energy it was unreal.

Know tributes aren’t everybody’s cup of tea (glass of cider 🤷‍♂️) but saw A Band Called Malice and The Phonics at O2 Academy Liverpool last night and they were stonkingly good! 🔥

Credit for the good photos 📸 Graham Currey, as I was enjoying it too much to take many. The rubbish ones are mine 😂

50601007-B2F2-47AC-8410-0BF0ADA00B16.thumb.jpeg.b966411d5ff00e16bd424b97a70eedb8.jpegF289D276-DC49-4157-876F-AF2060D6733F.thumb.jpeg.5e7579047620a08f40f58bb783218b1b.jpeg83018D41-581A-46A3-9508-9580E0385B4A.thumb.jpeg.a7bbdf7325a54125a385d73f4a3a8c03.jpeg0BA61360-49E4-4B68-B6E3-E49C41104D0A.thumb.jpeg.79e5a6c0da480af5a159b3d17608bcaf.jpeg7895C293-C585-4655-BE92-5DAB05A48F8B.thumb.jpeg.02dd93c4bc8e650410c96c9e30932949.jpegBA096805-623F-4A0D-9E53-860BF3DF8B5A.thumb.jpeg.a75cc1f282fb7b92c29a2f8fe640f496.jpeg604DF44A-7E2E-45FB-9189-AF10E1CDDA55.thumb.jpeg.de1f677580030f303e5620853973e592.jpeg7E044CAC-6B74-4D7C-994E-93D7D8348E7F.thumb.jpeg.bf3c256a8572fd8169576eb23b83269b.jpeg6E3FF319-B749-4039-B528-9714CC2AA9E5.thumb.jpeg.a8a8901824a7f2c2a99dec3000aeac15.jpeg8BB651E3-E57C-4696-AF05-2793F713B8ED.thumb.jpeg.1e6b368928a1f29e47fcae87db061f37.jpeg