Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

12 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Sea Power were off the scale brilliant tonight. I'm so hyper after that, I don't think I'm gonna sleep tonight! Support band Pale Blue Eyes were also excellent - ones to watch if you're into shoegaze. 

I saw them in Edinburgh on Monday. Another hot performance, a cracking night. Abi the violinist being absent for whatever reason, the music was less colourful than it was — but it didn’t detract from the quality at all. The only complaint is that they didn’t play Keep On Trying (Sechs Freunde), despite the crowd constantly shouted, “Sechs Freunde!” — the most requested title on the night, apparently. Seems that they dropped the song on the current tour. Long live Sea Power!

Support act was Hector Gannet from North Shields. Like Sea Power, they are an environmentally conscious, wildlife-friendly band. Good performance and I liked them, bought the CD album and EP from the merchandising.

https://hectorgannet.com

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Went to see the indie dads convention that was the return of The Boo Radleys and it was fookin ace.  Kingsize is still a song that most bands would give their eye teeth for.

Weird to think that the last time I saw them was on El Pointo.

I've not seen them since this...

355560149_crystal-palace-bowl-advert-1991-728x1024(1).thumb.jpg.3d7932d804fbdb1a436b96dfdd948dc5.jpg

😬

6 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

I saw them in Edinburgh on Monday. Another hot performance, a cracking night. Abi the violinist being absent for whatever reason, the music was less colourful than it was — but it didn’t detract from the quality at all. The only complaint is that they didn’t play Keep On Trying (Sechs Freunde), despite the crowd constantly shouted, “Sechs Freunde!” — the most requested title on the night, apparently. Seems that they dropped the song on the current tour. Long live Sea Power!

Support act was Hector Gannet from North Shields. Like Sea Power, they are an environmentally conscious, wildlife-friendly band. Good performance and I liked them, bought the CD album and EP from the merchandising.

https://hectorgannet.com

Abi is looking after her sheep apparently!!!!!!

Their setlist was heavy on 'The decline of...' and 'Do you like rock music' (which was fine with me, their best 2 albums IMO) as well as quite a few new songs (which sounded ace to me).

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Me too. Not my favourite venue, to put it mildly. Not the easiest to get to, crowd miles from the stage and, fatally, no alcohol on sale 🙄

We'd blagged tickets to a VIP bit where you could buy alcohol as my mate was going out with the singer's sister.

We wandered round the crowd a few times and somehow avoided being mugged for our ale.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

I recall we were aware so got tanked up beforehand and slowly sobered up through the day. Like a normal gig but in reverse

I once went to a England cricket match and did that. Been out the night before got in at 6 am slept until 10 am. Arrived at the ground still pissed, sobered up as the game went on. 

Silverbacks were good tonight, also very funny and a lovely bunch of people. New songs sounded great too which is promising for the new album.

Looking forward to seeing Lord Apex tomorrow. We don't get many hip hop gigs around here, especially with people of his quality.

I've just got back from my "first gig back". 

Bob Vylan were a great supporting act, tackled a few hecklers in the crowd well and delivered a really solid set.

Biffy Clyro - although hated by some here - delivered a solid set in a smaller than venue. Few odd choices in the setlist aside - very little 'early stuff' and some obvious tunes missed - it was a great return to live music. 

There is something soothing about being back in a crowd, although some seem to have forgotten any kind of etiquette! 

Roll on the next gig, next week!

IMG_20211029_211334793.jpg

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Bob Vylan were a great supporting act, tackled a few hecklers in the crowd well and delivered a really solid set.

Biffy Clyro - although hated by some here - delivered a solid set in a smaller than venue. Few odd choices in the setlist aside - very little 'early stuff' and some obvious tunes missed - it was a great return to live music. 

There is something soothing about being back in a crowd, although some seem to have forgotten any kind of etiquette! 

Was speaking to a mate who was there and they played the whole new album song by song and then 8/9 other songs.  Surprised they’ve done that but still looking forward to Kentish Town next week

9 minutes ago, sisco said:

Was speaking to a mate who was there and they played the whole new album song by song and then 8/9 other songs.  Surprised they’ve done that but still looking forward to Kentish Town next week

Yeah, they played nothing off the first four albums! I just realised they played  nothing off Puzzle as well! They missed a couple of their bigger tunes off Only Revolutions too.

It was a very "recent heavy" set

Edited by vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

Yeah, they played nothing off the first four albums! I just realised they played  nothing off Puzzle as well! They missed a couple of their bigger tunes off Only Revolutions too.

It was a very "recent heavy" set

Yeah did amaze me when he told me they’d played the whole new album as the first 11 songs! Only been out a week or 2! 

Sea Power in Bedford last night - what a fantastic night, band were on top form and the crowd, as always at Esquires, were in a great mood. They played a set full of all the old favourites, well over 1 1/2 hours, and still left some bangers in the bag.

Support from Pale Blue Eyes, excellent young band sort of shoegazey/trancy - one to keep an eye on.

On to Snapped Ankles in London tonight.

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Welcome back!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Sea Power in Bedford last night - what a fantastic night, band were on top form and the crowd, as always at Esquires, were in a great mood. They played a set full of all the old favourites, well over 1 1/2 hours, and still left some bangers in the bag.

Support from Pale Blue Eyes, excellent young band sort of shoegazey/trancy - one to keep an eye on.

On to Snapped Ankles in London tonight.

I need to get to Esquires, only 20 mins down the road from me now. 

19 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Yeah, I've noticed that at the gigs I've been back to as well, still a few twats not knowing how to behave themselves is a small price to pay for the return of live music.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, Franco Baresi said:

DMA's in Bath last night, the lad can really sing, although because of this the setlist was ballad heavy I thought, wasn't as exciting as when i've seen them on previous albums. Will just catch them at Festivals from now on.

I saw them for the first time tonight (apart from support slots) in Liverpool and I absolutely loved it because i got into them on The Glow, but I completely get what you're saying - I had a mad listen to the previous albums the past few weeks because I expected it to be more along those lines, but it wasn't what happened. At Liam Gallagher in 2019 they supported and i saw people on shoulders etc, it didn't look as energetic tonight from the seats. 

Great stuff for me though, bring on Neighbourhood in May!

The Mysterines last night.

Good stuff from them again, looking forward to the album coming out next year.

They could do with working on their between song action. Quite big gaps between songs and very little audience interaction other than "Is everyone alright?" and "This one is called..." with lots of arsing about with pedals etc. but I'm sure that will come.

Support act Stone, who were drafted in at 3pm after one of the scheduled supports tested positive for covid, were a lot of fun, I'll keep an eye out for them in future. 

20211030_215434.thumb.jpg.941d07ba1e683a171a5b486de7af5a67.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:22 PM, nikkic said:

I need to get to Esquires, only 20 mins down the road from me now. 

I do remember it being a good room. Further away from me than you are, but I saw Honeyblood there in July 2019. Sound was nice and punchy. Wanted to see Black Honey there too a while back but couldn't get it over the line. May have to check it out later on down the line.