Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Saw London Grammar last night at Leeds Beckett SU. It was an album launch show so it was a shorter set than usual. They were absolutely phenomenal. The sort of band that can really control the crowd. You could hear a pin drop when Hannah was doing some of her solo singing. Anyone that's going to see them on their upcoming tour is in for a treat!  

4 hours ago, Quark said:

It worked OK when I saw them in Brighton and he did the solo bit, might just have been a bad crowd for it?

Probably,my best mate said it worked when they played a small, intimate gig. 

3 hours ago, idb said:

Might have been down to the crowd. No doubting he's got a great voice and could just do an acoustic gig on his own (I do believe the delux version of the album has a few stripped back songs on it)

He does have a good voice, and that section was my wife's favourite bit. The energy just faded and left the room and didn't come back until the band rejoined him on stage.

8 hours ago, Quark said:

Laura Marling at Brighton Dome last night, first time I've ever done a seated gig but after the run at work I've had recently I was quite happy to park myself down for 90 minutes!

Always liked what I've heard of LM but never really delved into her stuff and I'd not seen her live before, so went in with little in the way of expectation. Bloody lovely stuff. Her voice is fantastic live, and I genuinely didn't realise what a great guitarist she is.  Very dry and self effacing chat between songs as well.

Was a lovely venue to see her in as well, the Dome really suits that kind of thing for me.  No pics this week as taking photos would have ruined the ambience a bit!

Agree with all of this, saw her at Leicester, first seated venue for ages, last Friday and really enjoyed it. Great voice and again, I hadn't realised what an accomplished guitarist she is - I saw her in LUMP a while back where she was only singing.

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Yep, didn't realise that's what it was. 

Crowd wasn't chatty and phones weren't too bad, but I was amazed by the number of grown adults that are incapable of sitting through a 90 minute gig without needing to get up and either go to the loo or to the bar. Most were doing it between songs which wasn't so bad, but honestly couldn't believe people's inability to sit still!!

Crowd was very good during the songs but I couldn't believe the number of people who can't manage to hold it in for 90 mins or can't manage without a drink for more than a few minutes - surely it's possible to have a drink beforehand and then go somewhere for a drink afterwards?? Is it just more obvious at a seated venue?

Saw Laura Marling at the Roundhouse tonight and not only was she bloody brilliant, I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd. Very, very limited talking during the set and even phone use for pictures/videos was done very respectfully (where I was standing anyway). 

Only minor downside for me is that there was nothing from Alas, I Cannot Swim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I saw Keg and The Lounge Society this evening.

As @benalihas already said, KEG are fantastic!!  The trombone/shell player said their EP is out tomorrow so look out for that!  Their other two songs on Spotify are great.  

Glad you enjoyed it. I've not been as excited about a band third on the bill since I saw a gig where Fontaines supported HMLTD and Shame.

I really think Keg will be one of the bands every half decent festival will be clamouring to book next summer.

1 hour ago, benali said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I've not been as excited about a band third on the bill since I saw a gig where Fontaines supported HMLTD and Shame.

I really think Keg will be one of the bands every half decent festival will be clamouring to book next summer.

I spoke to Steve Lamacq who was there to see KEG not Lounge Society.  He didn’t seem totally won over but definitely thought they could be “something” once they have performed more.  His new band tips were Cheap Teeth and Average Life Complaints. 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Like 1

Got given tickets to Kasabian about 10 years ago at the Ricoh arena, seated tickets are always rubbish but these were right at the back, surrounded by Middle Aged women who just wanted to see sex on fire, sound was terrible. 

Ive seen a fair few bands at multi site festivals like Reading& Leeds, or V festival which had clearly partied too hard after their gig the day before 

17 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Got given tickets to Kasabian about 10 years ago at the Ricoh arena, seated tickets are always rubbish but these were right at the back, surrounded by Middle Aged women who just wanted to see sex on fire, sound was terrible. 

Gosh they must have been disappointed! 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sprints and Deadletter tonight. Both great fun. Was very impressed by Deadletter and can see them playing some decent sized gigs in the next year or so.

One of the best things about post lockdown gigs is the high quality of support acts that are being booked. Bands are travelling all over for a few of support dates just so they can play shows again. It really is a great time for fans of live music.

Just got back from For Those I Love in Bristol. It felt so raw at times it was uncomfortable to watch; like you were intruding on something deeply personal. Absolutely incredible. I really feel like the record will be cult classic in the future. It’s criminally under exposed. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Red Rum Club hometown end of tour gig at Liverpool uni last night. My word it was lively.

Only dampened by the poor timing of Covid booster jab and winter flu jab that morning. Done in now

Superb wasn't it? Banger after banger.

Big fan of their pre-set playlist too, really gets the crowd up for it.

Edited by Gnomicide

Been to New Order - Heaton Park, The Lathums - Bristol Trinity, and Fontaines DC - Bristol Academy, all fantastic! great to be back hearing live music really loud!

DMA's in Bath this coming Weds, Franky Wah at Motion Saturday, Ashcroft at the Albert Hall on Monday, and New Order at the 02 Sat 6th coming up, pray for my liver & kidneys!! 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Superb wasn't it? Banger after banger.

Big fan of their pre-set playlist too, really gets the crowd up for it.

It was absolutely bouncing in there. Although I did say to the other half when I saw the oversized "pints".. "I give it ten minutes before they are going through the air" 😂

Saw The Mysterines and Tourist in Leeds over the last couple of nights and both were phenomenal!

The Mysterines were so good I immediately bought tickets for their March tour when I got on the train home - check them out if you haven't already (you can listen to all their tracks on Spotify in ~40mins).

I didn't know what to expect from Tourist but it was a hell of an atmosphere in that room. He brought it up and down like a master and dropped his biggest tracks throughout the set. I don't see enough live electronic these days so it made for a nice change. The date was actually rescheduled from 2019 (bet he was gutted to postpone the dates before Covid was even a thing).

• Like 1

Haven't felt the need to spill on any of the gigs I've been to so far but just back from For Those I Love in Manchester and holy shit. Never had an event have such a profound effect on me, it was so brutal. Cried through half of it. Like staring into an open wound. The sheer rawness of the whole thing seemed to expose all my own mental health problems and slap them about. Gonna take days to process that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

Haven't felt the need to spill on any of the gigs I've been to so far but just back from For Those I Love in Manchester and holy shit. Never had an event have such a profound effect on me, it was so brutal. Cried through half of it. Like staring into an open wound. The sheer rawness of the whole thing seemed to expose all my own mental health problems and slap them about. Gonna take days to process that.

Aw so wish I could have gone to that one. Take care. Such a powerful record and I think to anyone in a bad place actually a remarkably positive record. If his friend could only have known how loved he was. To know how much his friends loved him and needed him then I am sure he would still be here today. 

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Judging from his setlists I can't see it being anymore than an hour and a half

Wicked, thanks. That's kind of what I was assuming, and somewhat, hoping! 

Annoyingly he clashes with Squarepusher in Leeds on Tuesday but I'm not looking forward to getting home about 1am after the Manchester show!