Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

27 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

How were Duran Duran in Brum? I was dying to go but had to go London for work. Gutted.

Really good i'm afraid. They were always on a list of bands i'd wanted to see at some point but never did so when the small venue gigs came up (and were far cheaper than the Hyde Parks gigs) I thought sod it and went for it. The sound was excellent too. The 2 hours queuing outside and then another 2 hours standing in the venue waiting for them to come on was not so good, and neither was the 100 mile drive home afterwards 😄 Got a half decent spot though at least..

duran.jpg

Edited by cdm22

Since lockdown it’s been

Wolf Alice - Bournemouth 02 Academy 

Sleeper/The Bluetones - o2 Forum Kentish Town

The Brand New Heavies - Cardiff Uni Y Plas

Space - The Bunkhouse Swansea

Manic Street Preachers - Motorpoint Cardiff 

Genesis - Birmingham Utilita Arena

All of which have been great nights their own way 

Next up is a KISS tribute Dressed To Kill in Swansea tomorrow, followed by Laura Marling in Cardiff Tramshed on Wednesday and Kasabian in Cardiff Uni next Friday 

Mik Artistik - Don’t need to say much, we all know he puts on an epic show in his own unique way. Interestingly he’s performing a new version of Sweet Leaf. Definitely an improvement on the classic. 

Pigeon Detectives. They were supporting Shed Seven but the crowd for them was poor. The Pigeons put on a great show as always. Rare occasion where the support act was better than the main act. 

Kaiser Chiefs. As usual absolutely fantastic. They are at their best in front of a live audience especially when it’s a local one with a lot of home support. That was probably the second most I’ve danced and sung at a gig this year. 

The most recent gig I went to was Bez. Wasn’t sure what to expect as he isn’t a DJ or Musician. He’s just Bez and dances like a loon getting the crowd going. He invited a few of us on stage with him and I spent a couple of hours dancing up there with him in front of a sell out crowd. Absolute fantastic night. 

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Kaiser Chiefs. As usual absolutely fantastic. They are at their best in front of a live audience especially when it’s a local one with a lot of home support. That was probably the second most I’ve danced and sung at a gig this year. 

Ricky Wilson is one of the great frontmen. Proper stagecraft. Makes the effort.

Latitude - first weekend after restrictions were lifted and it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish, highlights were Wolf Alice, Bastille, Supergrass, Chemical Brothers and Declan Mckenna 

The Vaccines - so much fun in an intimate venue like the Waterfront Norwich, they've massively upped their game for their live performances 

Next up is Kasabian at the end of the month, followed by Shed 7, The Charlatans and Wolf Alice later in the winter 

Outdoor festivals first - Latitude - Wolf Alice, Lynx, Sports Team, Chems, Bastille and Victorious - Frank Turner, Annie Mac, Fontaine's DC, Royal Blood were all highlights 

first indoor gig - 4 nights at Roundhouse for Frank Turners Lost Evenings. Best support act by a mile was The Lottery Winners. 
off to see Slow Readers Club tomorrow at Wedgewood rooms in Portsmouth 😀👍

Don’t often comment on Glasto forums but saw this and thought I’d share my piece.

came to uni about a month ago now and have already seen 4 gigs. Firstly I saw the Vaccines, I’d say they have been the bottom gig so far, purely because I went on my own so felt a bit awkward. They were really good sounded clean, it just didn’t have that spark if that makes sense.

A week after I saw Fontaine’s DC, they were incredible, went with a mate from my course and we had an absolute whale of a time, were right in the mosh for all their songs and they sounded very very good, lack of crowd interaction but that’s them and they didn’t need any. Guardian gave it 5 stars and I’d agree, proper proper good gig, comes in at number 2 on my list

the third one I went too was the Magic Gang on Friday night. Again very good, went with my really good mates I’ve made which was proper nice, they were good, the crowd wasn’t. Having had a few drinks we were happy and jumping about with a few other people, trying to liven the crowd up. But a bunch of dickheads in front of us kept elbowing us all in the midriffs. Felt a bit sour  in there. The band were class, played all the good songs, sounded good, just let down a little bit by the atmosphere.

and finally last night (Saturday) I went to see Inhaler, who were absolutely insane. Probably my fav band atm so seeing them was proper class, went with my course buddy and we managed to get decently close. The moshes were huge at times but also quite safe and the crowd was electric and knew every word. My best gig so far back, would deffo recommend catching them at some point if you can.

Just thought I’d attach a couple of photos I thought were pretty cool

635C8C00-0B40-4845-BB83-B304E8D1F714.jpeg

EBE064EA-0312-4035-B7E9-A22470C07D71.jpeg

On 10/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Best band I’ve seen post pandemic is Crack Cloud. Amazing. 9/10

Best moment during a gig since the pandemic was Self Esteem doing I Do This All The Time @ Wide Awake. Very emotional! 

Squid @ Printworks were also very good - 8/10

I've got tickets for Self Esteem next year as I couldn't make her November date and fair to say I can't wait for it. She's on fire at the moment 

On 10/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, Quark said:

I'd been thinking about setting up a similar thread GP, good call 🙂

Yes it seemed like one was missing and I figure we can give each other good intel on who's smashing it 

On 10/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, dotdash79 said:

Been to the following:

moovin festival was good but had our tent robbed and put us on a bit of a downer. 

new order - was great, ace venue and there first gig back and they went for it. 

manic street preachers- always great, but the set was only 75 min which felt a little short. ( was a last min gig and only paid half price, thanks twickets)

jungle- so good they made me forget how bad the Victoria warehouse is 

roisin Murphy- not that into her but she was great. First gig at Brixton academy, also Brixton is still as mad as always. 

Yep think there will be some bargains to be had on Twickets for those of us who can hold our nerve. 

8 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Fontaines DC in Manchester last Thursday is in my top 5 best gigs. Seen them a handful of times but it was next level.

Absolutely brilliant set and crowd response in a fairly gash venue

Really wish I could have gone to Fontaines DC. Just fell in a bad week for me. 

On 10/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Best band I’ve seen post pandemic is Crack Cloud. Amazing. 9/10

Best moment during a gig since the pandemic was Self Esteem doing I Do This All The Time @ Wide Awake. Very emotional! 

Squid @ Printworks were also very good - 8/10

Crack Cloud are one of the best live bands around at the moment. I'm gutted they aren't supporting Oh Sees  now.

I saw Squid last week, love their shows so much. They really think about everything they do and totally nail it every time.

10 minutes ago, benali said:

Crack Cloud are one of the best live bands around at the moment. I'm gutted they aren't supporting Oh Sees  now.

I saw Squid last week, love their shows so much. They really think about everything they do and totally nail it every time.

Crack Cloud are fast becoming one of my favourite bands.  Found their live set utterly captivating. 

Thought Squid were really disappointing at Wide Awake but loved them at Printworks.

• Like 1

I've been to about 25 gigs and 2 festivals since they came back. I can't believe people on here aren't going to more because everyone seems to be on tour at the moment, there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to see and I don't even live in a city that's renowned for its music scene.

The best bands have been Pom Poko, Keg, English Teacher, Modern Woman, Folly Group, Squid, Slowthai, Kings of Convenience and Egyptian Blue.

Saw Fontaines last night. 6th time I've seen them, probably a middling gig for them although not helped by it being in Southampton Guildhall which is just an awful venue. They were obviously better when playing small venues because that's always the way. Plus back then they were playing the original, better version of their songs and didn't have to put in 20 minutes of filler from the second album to pad out the gig like they did last night.

Talk Show on Tuesday which should be fun then Lounge Society, Sprints and Silverbacks before the end of the month. November is stacked too. It's an amazing time to be a music fan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Crack Cloud are fast becoming one of my favourite bands.  Found their live set utterly captivating. 

Thought Squid were really disappointing at Wide Awake but loved them at Printworks.

Oh really? Mind you some people weren't overly fussed about their Green Man set because it included some of their more sonically adventurous material but then I would happily watch a whole set of that.

The "play Houseplants" lot weren't happy!

On 10/8/2021 at 12:53 PM, foolee said:

Download Pilot 10/10 - Complete euphoria. Death Blooms my pick of the new acts. Frank Carter, Neck Deep & Creeper were all solid. 

Bath Festival 6/10 - Wasn’t too bad. My partner loves McFly so she enjoyed them but would’ve been better at their own show. Scouting for girls put on a good show. And I discovered Lauran Hibberd which I’m really getting into, well worth a watch at a festival next year! 

Larry Pink, The Human 6/10 - Cool to see Laurie from Slaves new project and meet him after the show in such a small and iconic venue in Bath Moles. Good to see an Joe from Idles make an appearance for their song together too. No support. 

Yungblud 9/10 - Kentish Town and absolutely killed it. Crowd were immense, has a good message and he puts on a great live show. A must see and one to keep an eye on for the future. Dylan supported who is a female fronted band that sounded like catchy pop music with guitars, decent. 

Nothing But Thieves 7/10 - Small acoustic show that I got dragged too but I loved it. No support. 

Sports Team 6/10 - Great to see them in such a small venue, Bristol Fleece. No support. 

Reading 8/10 - Amazing weekend with friends with a few negatives from the camping side of it. Watched so many good bands that I enjoyed so I’ll list a few - Sam Fender, Inhaler, Demob Happy, Waterparks, Tom Grennan. Best of the weekend went to Biffy Clyro, Ashnikko, Bob Vylan, Gerry Cinnamon, Sea Girls, KennyHoopla, Beabadoobee, Sigrid & Yungblud. Pleasantly surprised by The Kid Laroi. 

Burn It Down Festival 7/10 - Lovely little indoor festival in Torquay headlined by Dinosaur Pile-Up who smashed it, if you’re into rock music and Foo Fighters you need to check out the album Celebrity Mansions, underrated band. Kid Kapichi and Phoxjaw both small newish bands to keep an eye out for in the rock scene and were both really good live. 

The Vaccines 9/10 - New album is incredible and they’ve stepped it up with the live show. Wasn’t expecting much but was blown away. Watched them in Bristol Trinity so only smallish for there size. No support. 

Sea Girls 8/10 - Again, great to see in such a small venue. Fleece in Bristol again and loving the new track Sick. Looking forward to the new album and seeing them at festivals next year. No support. 

Bring Me The Horizon 10/10 - Best gig yet. Stage show, setlist and crowd were all 10/10. Headliner material. You Me At Six and Nova Twins supported, I didn’t think much of Nova Twins and YMAS were terrible. 

Courting 6/10 - Good little indie band. They probably won’t get big but if you like Sports Team check these guys out. Good at what they do, have catchy songs and don’t take themselves too seriously. Covered 2 Weezer songs and Starships by Nicki Minaj. Home Counties supported and they were alright. 

Yungblud 8/10 - Not as good as Kentish Town but still very good. Feel like academy’s are too small for him now. He’s a really nice bloke as the first 50 people who buy tickets for his gigs get meet and greet of which we were part of and he took time to speak, sign and get photos with everyone. Renforshort and Daisy Brain were supporting, both of which are worth a listen and watch at festivals next year. Renforshort has an amazing voice, it’s again like pop singing over rock music. Similar to someone like Olivia Rodrigo. 

Tom Grennan 8/10 - Reminds me of a male version of Amy Winehouse with his soul like singing. Amazing at getting the crowd going which I don’t think you’d expect from his songs. Fantastic gig. Didn’t catch the support. 

Gender Roles 8/10 - Played exchange last night, remind me of FIDLAR who I love and the crowd was awesome. Snake Eyes supported who were good too. 

Sorry for the essay but I’ve been trying to make up for lost time. 

Courting are great. Supporting sports team at brixton too

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, benali said:

Oh really? Mind you some people weren't overly fussed about their Green Man set because it included some of their more sonically adventurous material but then I would happily watch a whole set of that.

The "play Houseplants" lot weren't happy!

It wasn’t a festival friendly set for sure.  The day time slot didn’t help.  They seemed to just “jam” for 20 minutes during the middle which was odd I thought. 

57 minutes ago, benali said:

I've been to about 25 gigs and 2 festivals since they came back. I can't believe people on here aren't going to more because everyone seems to be on tour at the moment, there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to see and I don't even live in a city that's renowned for its music scene.

The best bands have been Pom Poko, Keg, English Teacher, Modern Woman, Folly Group, Squid, Slowthai, Kings of Convenience and Egyptian Blue.

Saw Fontaines last night. 6th time I've seen them, probably a middling gig for them although not helped by it being in Southampton Guildhall which is just an awful venue. They were obviously better when playing small venues because that's always the way. Plus back then they were playing the original, better version of their songs and didn't have to put in 20 minutes of filler from the second album to pad out the gig like they did last night.

Talk Show on Tuesday which should be fun then Lounge Society, Sprints and Silverbacks before the end of the month. November is stacked too. It's an amazing time to be a music fan.

Loving the enthusiasm.  I’ve got Lounge Society as well soon.  Tickets for Legss, Stereolab and Girl Band as well. 

• Like 1

Been to various other things, but went to my first proper indoor gig on Sat night. Saw the Dub Pistols, who were exactly the same as always! Seen them loads but was a great reintroduction. Lot of energy and played more of their really old stuff than I expected. Took a mate who'd never seen them before somehow and he really enjoyed it too.

Experience slightly marred by feeling my pocket on the way out and my phone and wallet were gone. V surprised that someone would pickpocket you at a gig, but seems unlikely I would somehow drop both and not notice! Spoke to the venue on the way out but no joy.

Since lockdown lifted:

Latitude. Amazing to be back inj a big field. Highlights: Chemical Brothers, Wolf Alice, The Staves, Dream Wife, Holly Humberstone. Well orgniahsed. Good sound. 10/10

Elder Island. Small, short gig at record shop. Meh. Caught covid. The irony after Latitude the week before.  3/10.

Nothing But Thieves at Banquet. Great gig, his voice is amazing. Good new material. Crowd up for it 8/10.

Sat and Mon All Points East. Awful sound all weekend. Highlight Slowthai. Olivia Deane. 5/10 on sound only. 

Wide Awake. Great day fest. highlights - Lynks and Self Esteem. Good beer selection. 9/10.

Slam Dunk. Great to be back. Line up was only ok. Card Machines broke for half an hour. Highlight. Don Broco and Mcfly. Sue me. 7/10.

All Time Low. Brixston Acaedmy. Felt so great to be back in Brixston Academy. Forgot how loud it was. 9/10.

Nothing But Thieves at the 02. Missed nearly all of the support (Yonaka) as it took 40 mins to get in cos of security. Other than that a great gig (7.70 for buswiser wow). 9/10, but would think again before booking 02 arena again. 

Not music, but got free tickets for Simon Amstell from SFF last week - was a good evening out and his show was well structured. Some embarrassing moments where some more high brow jokes fell flat in my rural home town... He was thrown by a very unsophisticated heckle too! 

Went to the Rick Astley & Blossoms play The Smiths gig at Kentish Town O2 Forum the other night. Probably the best fun, I have had since things opened up. A little surreal and have avoided reading social media on it as I know there will be an element of Morrisey/Smiths fans who will see it as sacriledge but it was so so much fun. Ricks's voice was top notch and Blossoms played the music brilliantly. They hammed it up with gladiola and rick swinging his microphone. 

I have not had such a good sing-a-long in years. No support band but the crowd sung to every track played by the DJ which was a stream of banging tunes and the sing-a-long carried on through Ricks set. It was so good even if just a little wrong 😄 I dont think I have ever seen so many happy people in once place before. 

Plus an encore of How Soon is Now, This Charming Man & There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

I know a lot of people have a problem with Morrisey but boy did The Smiths produce some of the best music out there. Love you Mozza but please take note of the above encore and maybe play it sometime? 

I know it was suppossed to be a one off set of two gigs but that set at a festival next summer would be a killer.