When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:
These people are insane. Genuinely feel sorry for their kids. 

I feel sorry for the kids too. I try not to be too hard as I'm always drawn to this article from last year. We are blaming the wrong people:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/02/state-fear-ministers-used-covert-tactics-keep-scared-public/

The daily diet of statistics on deaths, hospitalisations and Covid cases has been so effective that compliance with lockdown has gone far beyond what ministers expected.

But the problem with fear, as one behavioural scientist said on Friday, is that “you can’t turn it on and off like a tap”.

Whether frightening the public was a deliberate – or honest – tactic has become the subject of intense debate, and dozens of psychologists have now accused ministers of using “covert psychological strategies” to manipulate the public’s behaviour.

They believe the Government, acting on the advice of behavioural experts, has emphasised the threat from Covid without putting the risks in sufficient context, leaving the country in “a state of heightened anxiety”.

They are so concerned that the British public has been the subject of a mass experiment in the use of strategies that operate “below their level of awareness” that they have made a formal complaint to their professional body, which will now rule on whether government advisers have been guilty of a breach of ethics.

One of the key pieces of evidence cited by those who have complained about “covert” tactics comes from a document prepared for the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) at the beginning of the pandemic a year ago.

Dated March 22, the paper written by the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours (SPI-B) stated: “A substantial number of people still do not feel sufficiently personally threatened; it could be that they are reassured by the low death rate in their demographic group, although levels of concern may be rising … the perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging.

I'm still disgusted something like this has gone on in our country 

Edited by lost

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its so sad...  I do feel sorry for their kids... 

My kids lost two Birthdays each including my daughters 10th...  Its was pretty shit but we had no choice.

To think someone would choose not to do it is seriously messed up.  Like just said above - the people who spread the fear to this level are the real bad people.

The worst part of covid for me was the feeling of being robbed of time. If i was 60 odd I wouldn’t give a fuck really cause I’d have done my stuff. I’m mid 20s and so much has Had to be put in ice for this for years now. It’s brutal.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

These people are insane. Genuinely feel sorry for their kids. The worst ones imo are Patterson and that Kit Yates guy and the Doctor Oxford person. All have something to sell. The ultimate worst is Eric Feigl-Ding, the guy is a disgrace and he causes so much harm intentionally. Deepti is a fruit loop but don’t really think she’s a bad person just a bit nuts. Pagel probs the lest bad of the lot. At least at one point I’ve tried to see her spread good news even if it’s occasional.

CLASSIC DING

20220121_180318.jpg

45 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

France loosening restrictions including masks outdoors (😂😂😂) as of Feb 2nd despite recording over half a mil cases yday. Good stuff, planning to go to Paris in mid March 🙏🙏🙏

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Ireland seeing sense and dropping restrictions

There’s a war on the horizon, no need to scare and control the masses with covid any more. 

8 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

France loosening restrictions including masks outdoors (😂😂😂) as of Feb 2nd despite recording over half a mil cases yday. Good stuff, planning to go to Paris in mid March 🙏🙏🙏

Any link to the updated restrictions? Are they doing away with PCR tests to travel to France yet?

9 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Any link to the updated restrictions? Are they doing away with PCR tests to travel to France yet?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.france24.com/en/france/20220120-france-says-will-loosen-covid-19-measures-from-february

I don’t see anything about testing so don’t think that’s changing. I just assumed it was an LFT to get in

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Kids had their entire social lives taken away for large parts of lockdowns so I wouldn't put all of the language development problems down to mask wearing. Even when classes where allowed for kids in 2020 the under 3s where in a tough position that they need accompanying adults and that put limits on class sizes that made most things just cancel. I'm sure masks don't help but I'd need to see some pretty compelling evidence that they where the main problem.

I like in that article the doctor they speak to says there hasn't been any research but it's obviously a factor and that turns into "Masks Causing Over 350% Surge.."

5 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.france24.com/en/france/20220120-france-says-will-loosen-covid-19-measures-from-february

I don’t see anything about testing so don’t think that’s changing. I just assumed it was an LFT to get in

Yeah it's PCR. Hopefully they drop that when their cases plummet like they did in the UK.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

That's it...  down play the obvious...

I'm not downplaying the obvious I think removing all social interaction out with the immediate family will have had a bigger impact on language development than masks, because in most social settings that two and three year olds go to, playgroups, playparks, soft plays, nurseries, child classes, etc there has never been any mask wearing. So whilst yes baby in the buggy not being able to see mummy's lips move when she asks the bus driver for a ticket isn't great I think not being around anyone but mum and dad for 6 months is a bigger deal.

I do think the impact of all of this on very young kids is a big unknown and wasn't given any priority in decision making and yes that includes the impact of mask wearing. Hopefully the long term effects will be minimal but it does seem that this is more by luck than judgement. Up here in Scotland soft play's were never allowed to reopen from the 2020 lockdown, it wasn't until the 2021 easing that they reopened and whilst they maybe pretty grim they are also about the only place you can take a 2 year old to play in bad weather off which we get plenty of up here.

It would be good for any COVID enquiry to have a proper look at the effects on child development.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

The U.K. gov website seems to say pcr or antigen test taken within 24 hours of departure 

Were coming from Sri Lanka which is on the Amber list of France I believe.

Will look into it, but getting antigen here is near on impossible 

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Seems to me people have already give up on masks...  

The number of customers wearing them is definitely dropping but actually a lot higher than id expect at this point. I'd say 2/3 to 3/4 tonight.

Very much depends on day of the week/type of customer though. Your more traditional youth hosteler seem more likely (and that applies across ages, not just oldies) while your groups of lads on a boozy weekend away, not a chance. 

On 1/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, Barry Fish said:

Can't think why...  another zero cost Dean?

No. Net benefit. Keeps the little shits quiet for a few more years.

(More seriously - we're talking babies and toddlers, how often are they normally in a situation where they are watching adults talk while masked up? It seems like it's more likely to be the bans on mixing that have had an impact?)

On 1/21/2022 at 6:08 PM, fraybentos1 said:

The worst part of covid for me was the feeling of being robbed of time. If i was 60 odd I wouldn’t give a fuck really cause I’d have done my stuff. I’m mid 20s and so much has Had to be put in ice for this for years now. It’s brutal.

I've not had that (mid-thirties) but then I've had a weird pandemic. I feel really bad for kids who should have been at uni or such, that's something you can't ever get back. For me it's more a balance. I did loads of the stuff that I wouldn't normally get time to do, I probably read as many books over the pandemic as I would have in ten years normally. The challenge is going to be redressing the balance without ending up exhausted!

On 1/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, BobWillis2 said:

There’s a war on the horizon, no need to scare and control the masses with covid any more. 

if there's war its not (this time) been contrived by 'the west', putin is a proper evil bastard who's alwatys wanted to restore the russian empire.

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

First - what a shitty comment...

Secondly - One thing that is clear with you Dean - and I said this earlier - even if I spoon feed you stuff you won't accept it.  

Well yeah, an article that says there's no scientific evidence for it, and then literally goes on to make the same point I made (that it's also at least partly down to social isolation) isn't the slam dunk you think it is.

And that's the thing that's clear with you: you're unable to properly interrogate a source to see if it's actually making the point you think it is, and if it's at all backed up by any sort of evidence. I'm pretty sure you mostly just read the headlines and then post it here. 

If I had posted something from a doctor saying "I think masks are far better than we currently think, there's no research out there, but I'm sure I'm right" you would rightly ridicule it. But then that's because it doesn't agree with what you think. Anything that backs up your point of view, you consider to be an accurate source, and anything that doesn't you don't.

Did you look at anything else on that site by the way? 

https://thenationalpulse.com/2020/12/25/fertility-covid-vaccine/

It's a far right blog by one of the Breitbart lot. But apparently a reliable source now?

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wasn't looking for slam dunks...  I was looking to expose your bullshit comment about zero costs.

First, I never said I thought it was zero cost, again, you're reading the headline not the entire post. I said I think the current UK government consider masks to be zero cost, as we saw a few weeks back when Johnson had said his priority was ending WFH over masks. So maybe send that link to Boris?

Secondly, it doesn't support your argument at all. On a far-right, anti-vax, anti-mask site the best they have is one doctor admitting there's no data but saying he thinks that's the case. How is what she is saying, as a individual, any more valid that what Christina Pagal says? Other than that it supports your current point of view?

Incidentally, as far as I remember, at no point in the entire pandemic that I've posted on here, have I ever used a Twitter thread or blog to back up my argument. I've linked to respected newspapers, I've quoted from books, I've pointed directly to bits of data, but yeah, you're never going to win an argument with me by saying LOOK AT THE MANS ON TWITTER! 

You need to start thinking about what you're reading and whether it's true or not. Hint: the answer is never influenced by how much you want it to be true. There are posters on this thread that are well down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theory at this point, unless you want to end up as one of them, maybe don't jump right on stuff they post as you think it helps your argument. It doesn't. It just damages your credibility.

22 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Neither Boris or the government has ever said there was a zero cost to masks.  They have actually said the exact opposite.  Its only ever been people of your mindset with that view point.

You have pushed the idea throughout the pandemic that masks are "just a bit of cloth" and everyone should man up about them.  And now you want to pivot 🙂

No, I just think anyone who regularly calls other people snowflakes but gets bothered by wearing a mask needs to man up. There are legit reasons for not wearing masks but most of the "they're uncomfortable" ones can be sorted by either finding the right mask or just getting used to them. So no, I don't want to pivot.

And you might be right about the government - the impression I was getting was that they thought masks had pretty much no impact on the economy. I don't agree with that, there's both negative and positive impacts (they put some people off doing stuff, but then people have a false sense of security when mandated, so actually encourages others). The discussion about what Johnson actually thinks about masks and will do going forward, and the economic impacts in either direction was the discussion I was hoping to have last week, but instead you and others decided to have a dig instead.

Here's the thing you need to understand about me. I'm not here to change your mind on anything. Couldn't give a fuck what you think. There's people posting total nonsense in this thread and I'll happily ignore them. I'm not interesting in convincing someone that "The Great Reset" is bullshit. 

I come here for interesting discussion, I come here to get out of my bubble and see what the more hawkish elements of society think. And because of that, sometimes I'll just talk about stuff. "Oh this is interesting", "you could argue this", "some people say this", etc. I am not trying to push a particular viewpoint on you. Not everything I say, not every point I bring up, is my personal, deeply held belief. Sometimes I do share those beliefs too, but my posts don't all have an agenda that's pushing towards a specific thing. And yeah, sometimes, I change my mind. You seem confused by that, because that's not what you do, and you think everyone must do the same as you.

That's why the times I get frustrated or annoyed, aren't when you disagree, but when you just go in for a personal attack instead. Because that's boring. Yeah, I can bat it back, I can make a joke, I can mock your obsession with your family holidays, whatever. Or you just link to some utter nonsense on a far right blog and say "see".

And even then, there's an interesting discussion there about the impact on toddlers of all this, and I tried to take it in that direction. And I stand by what I said: how many times does a toddler actually watch two adults conversing with masks on. Not in the home, and not outdoors so what's left? The real problem would seem to have been social distancing preventing those interactions happening in the first place. That's an interesting point surely? 

But no, because if you acknowledge that, you lose out on being able to blame masks, and masks are the one part of all the government restrictions you personally can't handle, so you see everything through that lens, yet you're totally unable to acknowledge that any such bias could exist in you. It's just complete coincidence that the one restriction you struggle with the most is the one restriction that is of no benefit whatsoever. Tell you what, here's some no-name blog with a headline that proves my point: https://theconversation.com/over-half-of-adults-unvaccinated-for-covid-19-fear-needles-heres-whats-proven-to-help-161636

• Upvote 2