Will you go see Billie Eilish?

Gilgamesh69

Billie Eilish 2022 Poll  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go see Billie at Glastonbury 2022?

• Absolutely!
    • Maybe - Depends who else is on
    • Maybe - I already have a ticket to see her elsewhere so not too fussed
    • Might check her out, but doubt I'll watch the whole set
    • Hard pass
    • Yes but only because I'll probably get dragged to it by my friends/family/partner
    • I don't have a ticket (yet!) ='(

Not exactly the announcement to create hype and get people excited for the festival. I’m kind of dreading who the other headliners are going to be. 

A lot of acts will have lost a lot of money over the last couple of festival seasons. They may not be tempted by the low Glastonbury pay. I know there’s huge worldwide exposure but they may prefer the more lucrative offers in terms of cash. 

It will probably be the usual perennial acts who always show even though we’re sick of them. 

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Do you think some people get reminded of their own mortality when a younger artist gets a big glasto slot? It’s not Billie they are angry about, they are just sad times a changing. 

I think some people just aren’t as into mainstream pop as you are. 

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Really don’t get the how will she fill 90 minutes argument when she’s doing it practically every other day at this point. She’s got plenty of material for a set… it’s a bit of a lazy point to make.

This is always a conversation that happens when an artist with 2-3 albums is going to headline, despite that its happened multiple times before. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

This is always a conversation that happens when an artist with 2-3 albums is going to headline, despite that its happened multiple times before. 

It’s a real “tell me you’ve not done any research without telling me you’ve not one any research” moment.

First time I went to Glastonbury in 2004 the headliners were Oasis, Paul McCartney and Muse, on the Other stage it was The Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx and Orbital.

I know it was 17 years ago, but I can't really recall much over analysation on this board (I was using it back then) or in general about what was announced. From my hazy recollection, Oasis was seen as trying to put the 1995 set right, and it failed as they had canned an album that year and weren't really doing much and looking back on it the set wasn't that good, but no-one was massively against them playing. Paul McCartney was seen as a massive coup and I really enjoyed watching him, and Muse were seen as the new upcoming band that were on the cusp of becoming a stadium rock act.

And although all three have been commercially successful, none of them are what you would consider a 'pop' act, and I guess with how the music world has evolved in the last 15 years is that acts like Billie Eilish are now being given the chance to headline (and Stormzy in 2019) rather than playing it safe with established acts.

Also social media now (and since 2007 ish onwards IMO) plays a massive part as everyone can have their say openly about what they think and who should/shouldn't headline.

Billie Eilish isn't for me, just not the sort of music I enjoy, I even gave her albums a go yesterday to see if I would like it and I just can't get on board with it, but I'm sure a lot of people under the age of 25 (And a few who are older) will love it just like a lot us enjoyed our favourite acts when we started going to festivals.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a real “tell me you’ve not done any research without telling me you’ve not one any research” moment.

It's almost as though it's a general discussion and chat forum instead of a formal debating process.

I get it, but no I haven't done much research. I come here to natter about stuff and bounce stuff around a bit. Not planning on doing extensive research before I pop my head in.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Do you think some people get reminded of their own mortality when a younger artist gets a big glasto slot? It’s not Billie they are angry about, they are just sad times a changing. 

My first reaction to the news Billie Eilish was headlining Glastonbury wasn’t “I’m going to die soon”.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Really don’t get the how will she fill 90 minutes argument when she’s doing it practically every other day at this point. She’s got plenty of material for a set… it’s a bit of a lazy point to make.

Not a lazy point at all - it is very valid.  There is a massive difference with filling 90 minutes with quality and filling it with 30 minutes of quality and then a load of boring filler.  Yes she can fill 90 minutes - but from what I have heard she is really stretching it on the quality front.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Jumping to conclusions as usual!  You are presuming I have done no research when last night I actually listened to her whole set from Vegas which seems to be her typical setlist at the moment.

https://setify.co/s/2b8c5472

Am I now qualified to have an opinion, or do you suggest I need to do some more research?

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Jumping to conclusions as usual!  You are presuming I have done no research when last night I actually listened to her whole set from Vegas which seems to be her typical setlist at the moment.

https://setify.co/s/2b8c5472

Am I now qualified to have an opinion, or do you suggest I need to do some more research?

Not sure you've earnt that right yet. You've got to really put the hours in first. But not too many hours because don't forget, we are all going to die soon (how could you forget when a 19 year old is headlining) 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Not a lazy point at all - it is very valid.  There is a massive difference with filling 90 minutes with quality and filling it with 30 minutes of quality and then a load of boring filler.  Yes she can fill 90 minutes - but from what I have heard she is really stretching it on the quality front.

This is all subjective though? And not what you said originally.

In short no. I don't think she's a bad artist but I find her stuff boring AF. Im someone who just turned 29 so not very old and I think her lyrics speak to alot of teens hence why she is so popular. Talking to friends, they said her Glastonbury set in 2019 was very very good.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is all subjective though? And not what you said originally.

It's music though, the whole thing is subjective.

Objective: has she produced enough music to fill a 2 hour headline slot?

Subjective: has she produced enough music of a suitable quality to hold and entertain a Glastonbury crowd on a Friday night for 2 hours?