2023 Headliners

Matt42

If we're heading back to the debate on album quantification, then first week sales matching or marginally below the 34,245 shifted by Notes on a Conditional Form would probably suggest they've not dropped off much since. Heck, even in a market that has had only four number one records break the 30,000 sales barrier this year, I'd argue that merely Being Funny in a Foreign Language matching that is a sign of sturdy interest.

If they deliver sales in excess of that - and I am skeptical they will, despite my affection and belief they are Pyramid-topping material - then feel they're back on the up. (A lot will depend how they play on radio with the singles, one imagines.)

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

I do think the Fleetwood Mac chat is hope rather than expectation. If (big IF) they were to play, is is a case of Mick Fleetwood and Friends? How many members of Fleetwood Mac are enough members for us to count it as Fleetwood Mac?

Given Christine said “....If we do (tour again), it would be without John and without Stevie, I think,” she said. “I think I’m getting a bit too old for it now – especially having had a year off. I don’t know if I could get myself back into it again."

FM without Buckingham or either of the ladies would be absolute rubbish. May as well just call it ‘Mick Fleetwood barks at people’ and put them on the Avalon Stage. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone know how Dua Lipa got on last night at Roskilde?

She's doing what Billie did with Glastonbury where it's essentially just the arena show shoved outdoors. It didn't totally work at Primavera if I'm perfectly honest, but her headlining next album is an absolute no brainer.

Depending how quickly she finishes the next record she's either 2023 to kick off a new cycle or 2024 as a victory lap.

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

She's doing what Billie did with Glastonbury where it's essentially just the arena show shoved outdoors. It didn't totally work at Primavera if I'm perfectly honest, but her headlining next album is an absolute no brainer.

Depending how quickly she finishes the next record she's either 2023 to kick off a new cycle or 2024 as a victory lap.

Not that she desperately needs another hit but it does feel like a while since she had one. She’s got a feature on the new Calvin Harris album - if that is an enormo-smash comparable to One Kiss then I could see her disappearing for a while, but if not then I think she might like to move straight on to her next album era. 

EDIT: Sorry I didn’t realise it had already come and gone. Never mind. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did she not just have a hit with Megan Thee Stallion?

Ish but not comparable to the success she was having two/three years ago. I’m talking one where it’s so inescapable that she’d be best advised to disappear for a while or risk people getting sick of her. No real risk of that at the moment I shouldn’t think. 

Fleetwood Mac without LB is not Fleetwood Mac IMO.  He was always the engine room of that band.  Plus they all hate each other.  NOT happening people.

AM and Taylor Swift are favourites IMO.  I think Elton John also a big shout but as a mix of 3 that doesn't seem to be very Glastonbury.  More likely to be something with appeal to a younger audience and a different genre - Dave/AJ Tracey etc.

And can we all PLEASE stop speculating about the fucking Spice Girls for a spot.  Legends or anywhere.  It will be an absolute pile of cringeworthy shite.  Fuck that.

The 1975 were booked for 2021, said it loads and it’s true. They fit in with the the ethos, promote good causes and messages during their live sets. They have the bangers and are probably the most popular Gen Z band, for someone who promotes Gen Z music as much as Matt (despite not being part of the generation) I would’ve  thought you would like us to have our band headline?

6 hours ago, NoBuses said:

The 1975 were booked for 2021, said it loads and it’s true. They fit in with the the ethos, promote good causes and messages during their live sets. They have the bangers and are probably the most popular Gen Z band, for someone who promotes Gen Z music as much as Matt (despite not being part of the generation) I would’ve  thought you would like us to have our band headline?

wasn't florence + the machine also booked for 2021? if the Eavii are honouring that agreement, you think they'd be honouring the Florence one as well

Florence and the Machine are an interesting one, in that I think they are smaller than they were when they were bumped up to fill the Foo Fighters spot in 2015.

But conversely, they also feel too big to bring back anywhere but atop the Pyramid. A catch-22, in a sense - I'm not sure there's any Glastonbury headliner since 2010 that could be booked below Pyramid, even if some of them do not justifiably feel sizable enough next to some of the other headliners.

6 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Florence and the Machine are an interesting one, in that I think they are smaller than they were when they were bumped up to fill the Foo Fighters spot in 2015.

But conversely, they also feel too big to bring back anywhere but atop the Pyramid. A catch-22, in a sense - I'm not sure there's any Glastonbury headliner since 2010 that could be booked below Pyramid, even if some of them do not justifiably feel sizable enough next to some of the other headliners.

Mumford and Sons could definitely headline the Other Stage at this point. If they’re even still a thing after Nazi-gate idk. 

All three headliners from 2014 too.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

10 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

But the other thing was that Florence totally couldve just been there this weekend as an Other headliner to make this an even more stacked bill. I mean I dont know why they didnt just have an Other opener every day just for the hell of it. Libertines, Florence and even Green Day to round it out wouldve been cracking. Although look at Foals and do you expect them to headline the Pyramid next album no matter what or did they just peak and this is all they end up at.

Edited by Suprefan

Just now, Suprefan said:

But the other thing was that Florence totally couldve just been there this weekend as an Other headliner to make this an even more stacked bill. I mean I dont know why they didnt just have an Other opener every day just for the hell of it. Libertines, Florence and even Green Day to round it out wouldve been cracking.

Green Day on their own stadium shows the same weekend? Hell of a gutsy booking to stick 'em on the Other. (Would have been a blast, mind.)

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Mumford and Sons could definitely headline the Other Stage at this point. If they’re even still a thing after Nazi-gate idk. 

All three headliners from 2014 too.

That's a point, actually - Kasabian absolutely topping/opening the Other in the not-too-distant future. Arcade Fire's ticket sales at Manchester Arena were very poor when I last looked, which is a shame. Some of the tracks off WE were among their best in years.

Metallica were in stadiums last time they toured under their own steam. Wasn't the rumour that they were meant to top the Other back in 2014 against somebody?

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But the other thing was that Florence totally couldve just been there this weekend as an Other headliner to make this an even more stacked bill. I mean I dont know why they didnt just have an Other opener every day just for the hell of it. Libertines, Florence and even Green Day to round it out wouldve been cracking. Although look at Foals and do you expect them to headline the Pyramid next album no matter what or did they just peak and this is all they end up at.

Foals could conceivably have headlined in 2016 or this year. But now that they didn’t, it’s difficult to see how they manage any further increase in popularity to justify a bump up to the top of the bill. Clearly they’re happy to play second fiddle. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Green Day on their own stadium shows the same weekend? Hell of a gutsy booking to stick 'em on the Other. (Would have been a blast, mind.)

That's a point, actually - Kasabian absolutely topping/opening the Other in the not-too-distant future. Arcade Fire's ticket sales at Manchester Arena were very poor when I last looked, which is a shame. Some of the tracks off WE were among their best in years.

Metallica were in stadiums last time they toured under their own steam. Wasn't the rumour that they were meant to top the Other back in 2014 against somebody?

Well everyone and their mum was expecting them to pop up. So an hour to open Other in the morning mightve been the only sound solution. Even if it was rammed, it wouldnt have been at John Peel or The Park.

Edited by Suprefan

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yep. We never found out who but it was very strongly rumoured that they were bumped up to do the Pyramid gig instead after negotiations with someone else (Prince?) fell through. Would certainly be an Other Stage headliner at best if they returned. 

Arcade Fire could arguably headline JP at this point although they probably wouldn’t take it. 

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Foals could conceivably have headlined in 2016 or this year. But now that they didn’t, it’s difficult to see how they manage any further increase in popularity to justify a bump up to the top of the bill. Clearly they’re happy to play second fiddle. 

Biffy Clyro could have done it in 2014, possibly 2015, when Opposites had cemented them as a big arena band. Seem to remember Emily Eavis basically saying their 2017 bill packed subs big enough to step up if they had a 2015 situation again. (Would imagine if anyone had bailed, Biffy Clyro would have been catapulted to the top, irrespective of day, over The xx and The National.)

Foals seem in an odd spot. Their sales are down - like everyone else - but the live shows continue to sell well. Not sure they are at the headline level so when put face-to-face with the trio we got this term - and alas, that is a casualty going forward of booking enormo-stars. (This is slightly unfair - they aren't much smaller than Kendrick Lamar over here, I'd argue, but the latter has a broad stateside success and appeal that naturally elevates him.)

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. We never found out who but it was very strongly rumoured that they were bumped up to do the Pyramid gig instead after negotiations with someone else (Prince?) fell through. Would certainly be an Other Stage headliner at best if they returned. 

Arcade Fire could arguably headline JP at this point although they probably wouldn’t take it. 

Prince versus Metallica. A stage clash for the ages.

Frankly, either one would have carried more clout than Arcade Fire and Kasabian.

22 hours ago, Matt42 said:

JP headline I had them down for.

Every time BMTH have played they’ve had a pitiful crowd.

Both times they’ve played recently they’ve been up against the legend , they made it known they weren’t happy about it with Kylie (“we’ve been gone for 3 years, brought a new album out and ended up in the same slot” iirc) 

they’re great live and given the right slot will pull a huge crowd 

2 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Both times they’ve played recently they’ve been up against the legend , they made it known they weren’t happy about it with Kylie (“we’ve been gone for 3 years, brought a new album out and ended up in the same slot” iirc)  

owned

18 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

they’re great live and given the right slot will pull a huge crowd 

But if they aren't happy about the slots there being given at Glastonbury then surely they can just go and play R+L or Download where there either outright headliners or co-headliners.