2023 Headliners

Matt42

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

From 2008

Swift is a songwriting savant with an intuitive gift for verse-chorus-bridge architecture

It’s hard not to be won over by the guilelessness of Swift’s high-school-romance narratives

Her music mixes an almost impersonal professionalism — it’s so rigorously crafted it sounds like it has been scientifically engineered in a hit factory — with confessions that are squirmingly intimate and true.

image.thumb.png.a528d9368be014bcf42989108181b712.png

That's not the NME is it though?  Rolling Stone has been awful for at least 20-25 years. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

And if they say they actually enjoy music with instruments in them, they’ll get arrested and thrown in jail. 

Holy shit, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is coming to pass!

3 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

That's not the NME is it though?  Rolling Stone has been awful for at least 20-25 years. 

19 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

When I was growing up the likes of Rolling Stone and NME had no truck in taking down the likes of Harry Styles, Taylor Swift,

Try harder please. 

lebowski-amateurs.gif

Edited by The Nal

Just now, The Nal said:

Try harder please. 

lebowski-amateurs.gif

Beat me to it 😄

I got no skin in this game and can't be arsed to argue the point, but I do like picking apart poorly constructed arguments. Call it a hobby.

So we can all finally agree that the headliners should be: a skinny white guy with a guitar but preferbly disabled, just to reel back the disgusting privilege, a woman of colour (doesnt matter who) and........ The Pigeon Detectives?

1 minute ago, willgooneday said:

Swift was clearly an exception. 

Bored now. Could easily go off and Google another one but couldn't be arsed.

You've lost the crowd. 

Edited by The Nal

7 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

So what I am getting from you, and I see this in many people, is that you liked things from a certain part of your life. Things move on  as we do, and some people cling to those times in their life as being the best. As I say I meet lots of people like it so think it is natural for some. 

2 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

So what I am getting from you, and I see this in many people, is that you liked things from a certain part of your life. Things move on  as we do, and some people cling to those times in their life as being the best. As I say I meet lots of people like it so think it is natural for some. 

Yet if that time happened to be the 1960s it's totally fine and Glasto books a headliner to suit? If it's any more recent we're all whining sods who can't move on. Got it. 

So much boomer privilege in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Yet if that time happened to be the 1960s it's totally fine and Glasto books a headliner to suit? If it's any more recent we're all whining sods who can't move on. Got it. 

If we were trying to book Brian Poole and The Tremoloes you might have a point.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, Matt42 said:

2023: Arctic Monkeys, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift
2024: Dave, (reformed Pink Floyd or Zep), Dua Lipa

Let’s lock this in.

It wont be a reformed zep or Floyd ever on any level (well maybe a - he once played stand in drummer kind of thing) 

20 minutes ago, pedmills said:

2010 | Glastonbury Festival

That was 12 years ago and had the same or less rock towards the top of the bill as this year. 

Gorillaz and Muse as Saturday night headliner is exactly the kind of thing we're clamouring for. With a third artist their on merit not a flash in the pan pop fad. 

Edited by willgooneday

Gorillaz and Muse as Saturday night headliner is exactly the kind of thing we're clamouring for. With a third artist their on merit not a flash in the pan pop fad. 

You probably don't know, but Gorillaz famously died on their arses that night.

How exactly are acts like Taylor Swift who have sustained relevancy for a decade plus a flash in the pan? I'm a big big fan of guitar music (fav band of all time are AM) but I can appreciate and like other genres without losing indie points or whatever

5 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

not a flash in the pan pop fad. 

1 hour ago, willgooneday said:

That's hardly The  Pigeon Detectives, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, The Fratelli's, Maximo Park, The Cribs, The Wombats, The Editors, The Kooks, Keane, Razorlight, The Coral, Franz Ferdinand, Bombay Bicycle Club, Interpol or Milburn as far as quality of musicians goes is it?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

If you can’t find it within yourself to not feed the troll can yer at least put them on ignore. 

I'm not trolling. Disagree with my opinion all you want but I'm entitled to it. 

Edited by willgooneday

I'm not trolling. Disagree with my opinion all you want but I'm entitled to it. 

Can you honestly come up with any decent reason why the music you liked when you were a teenager should be favoured over any other kind of music?

26 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

I don't think that us what u am saying at all. My father inlaw is the same, anything after 1975 is mainly rubbish, not as good as when he was young.

On your point I am sure there were several bands from your period there this time.