2023 Headliners

Matt42

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

They are playing Academies on their current tour. It does make a difference without Keith.

Kasabian are never going to get the headline slots without Tom. They might get MSW at Reading but generally it's a glorified sub spot.

But Prodigy have to see how those gigs will go before seeing whats next. We have zero idea how theyll come off. Kasabian did the same post Tom departure. And they were support for Liam this weekend now.

Edited by Suprefan

9 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Have to disagree with the point about Christine..... she was riding a wave at that point, and very much on the up. Not only that, but I thought she smashed it, so fair play. She could have kicked on from there. Agree she hasn’t, but that doesn’t make it a poor slot choice.

She also wasn’t meant to be headlining the other originally, I think she was bumped up when Keith passed.

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

But Prodigy have to see how those gigs will go before seeing whats next. We have zero idea how theyll come off. Kasabian did the same post Tom departure. And they were support for Liam this weekend now.

Yes they were but Knebworth is huge. It's not as if Kasabian would do it themselves. Don't forget as well, they were one of the last bands even with Tom from their kind of indie rock generation to get the Glastonbury headline spot.

I don't see The Prodigy myself going to do arenas more than maybe Ally Pally and the smaller one's.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, jj200 said:

Friday: The 1975

Saturday: Elton John 

Sunday: Muse

Other stage:

Friday: The courteeners

Saturday: Kings of Leon

Sunday: Liam gallager   

Jon peel stage

Friday: Kasier chiefs

Saturday: Bastille

Sunday: Editors 

West holt stage:

Friday: Manic street preachers

Saturday: kasabian

Sunday: disclosure  

Kasabian and Manic Street Preachers headlining West Holts would be a bit of a curveball

23 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Harry Styles

Fleetwood Mac

Taylor Swift

Do you really think they'd do both Harry and Taylor? two pop acts seems very unlikely to me.  but i think it's definitely one or the other 

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

I think it's gonna be Taylor, Elton and The Weeknd, Aerosmith legend slot.  

Replace Elton with AM and I’d agree. Don’t think Elton’s dates make him very likely. 

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Kasabian are never going to get the headline slots without Tom. They might get MSW at Reading but generally it's a glorified sub spot.

I disagree with this. They were offered headline slots at Neighbourhood, IoW, Truck and Tramlines before they had even done a single post-Tom show. They're even headlining InMusic festival in Croatia alongside The Killers, Nick Cave and Deftones.

Last year, they sold out every date on a 17-date tour before anyone even knew who was actually fronting the band. They've now just had a their support slot at Knebworth go down an absolute storm and they're releasing new music along with playing actual arenas at the end of the year.

Do I think they'll headline Glastonbury again? Probably not, but I think it's clear that they aren't dead and buried, even if they are nowhere near as big as they were. There's still an audience for their music, and it's an up-hill battle for them to regain their popularity, but I think they'll get back to a status of headlining the likes of R+L/TRNSMT and playing arena tours whilst likely being at the calibre of the sub spot for the Pyramid.

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

I think it's gonna be Taylor, Elton and The Weeknd, Aerosmith legend slot.  

I think Aerosmith would be a bit poor. It would just be using a special guest slot that didn't make it for an easy fix. Wait to see what Taylor is doing first I think. I think Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay and I am undecided on the final one but I'd be shocked if it wasn't female orientated.

51 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Still can't see past Arctic Monkeys headlining one night

Yeah stick on.

17 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I disagree with this. They were offered headline slots at Neighbourhood, IoW, Truck and Tramlines before they had even done a single post-Tom show. They're even headlining InMusic festival in Croatia alongside The Killers, Nick Cave and Deftones.

Last year, they sold out every date on a 17-date tour before anyone even knew who was actually fronting the band. They've now just had a their support slot at Knebworth go down an absolute storm and they're releasing new music along with playing actual arenas at the end of the year.

Do I think they'll headline Glastonbury again? Probably not, but I think it's clear that they aren't dead and buried, even if they are nowhere near as big as they were. There's still an audience for their music, and it's an up-hill battle for them to regain their popularity, but I think they'll get back to a status of headlining the likes of R+L/TRNSMT and playing arena tours whilst likely being at the calibre of the sub spot for the Pyramid.

Doesn't matter what they are doing outside the country. Nick Cave and Deftones don't headline major festivals here and many are of the view that The Killers would not have for Glastonbury had they not been a stand in. The Glastonbury subs this year bar Fender aren't that big so yes I agree Kasabian could do that bit I've not said they couldn't above.

I've not said they are dead, I expect them to continue where they have now which many many playing their gigs coming up do.

Tbf as well, I said Reading MSW. Also, the only two acts headlining IOW and TRNSMT this year that can be considered major headliners are The Strokes and Muse. Even Pete Tong is basically co-headlining IOW.

Edited by thewayiam

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Doesn't matter what they are doing outside the country. Nick Cave and Deftones don't headline major festivals here and many are of the view that The Killers would not have for Glastonbury had they not been a stand in. The Glastonbury subs this year bar Fender aren't that big so yes I agree Kasabian could do that bit I've not said they couldn't above.

I've not said they are dead, I expect them to continue where they have now which many many playing their gigs coming up do.

Tbf as well, I said Reading MSW. Also, the only two acts headlining IOW and TRNSMT this year that can be considered major headliners are The Strokes and Muse. Even Pete Tong is basically co-headlining IOW.

Didn't realise The Strokes are doing TRNSMT, though it shouldn't come as a surprise - their only English gig, as far as I'm aware, is still Lytham Festival the day before. Think I'll be scratching my head over that one until I'm there, and they walk out

FWIW, I'm a nick cave STAN and even as a super fan, I'd never thought he'd headline the pyramid.  but his show at Primavera on Saturday night was one for the books, and the way even casual fans have been reacting to it is super cool.  If he continues this trajectory, and releases a record at least a little more radio friendly than Ghosteen, I think there's at least a shot he'd to the Pyramid at some point in the next years.  Maybe that's the wishful fan in me, I dunno.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I think Aerosmith would be a bit poor. It would just be using a special guest slot that didn't make it for an easy fix. Wait to see what Taylor is doing first I think. I think Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay and I am undecided on the final one but I'd be shocked if it wasn't female orientated.

Yeah stick on.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, sorry mate. My point about InMusic, though, was more that there's places that were willing to still take a punt on them post-Tom before even knowing what they were going to be like. They've obviously still got a good stock level within the industry.

Though for what you said about them, I'd say that The Strokes are in a weird spot when it comes to headliners. Have they EVER headlined a major UK festival on their own? The only one I can think off the top of my head is that they co-headlined R+L with Pulp in maybe 2010 or 2011? To me, they only get the demand they do in the UK due to the fact that it's not a common occurrence for them to play here.

As for The Killers, I feel like people on this forum underestimate the sheer enormity of them. They've just done two sold out nights at The Emirates, along with a bunch of other smaller stadium shows and headline festivals all over the world. In my opinion, there's only two bands from the 00s onwards (three if you want to count Muse but Showbiz was released in '99) that could sell out stadiums and that's The Killers and Arctic Monkeys.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Didn't realise The Strokes are doing TRNSMT, though it shouldn't come as a surprise - their only English gig, as far as I'm aware, is still Lytham Festival the day before. Think I'll be scratching my head over that one until I'm there, and they walk out

The Strokes will play anywhere that will give them the fee, regardless of the size of the place. Tbh I was giving them a little extra when I even included them with Muse.

14 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, sorry mate. My point about InMusic, though, was more that there's places that were willing to still take a punt on them post-Tom before even knowing what they were going to be like. They've obviously still got a good stock level within the industry.

Though for what you said about them, I'd say that The Strokes are in a weird spot when it comes to headliners. Have they EVER headlined a major UK festival on their own? The only one I can think off the top of my head is that they co-headlined R+L with Pulp in maybe 2010 or 2011? To me, they only get the demand they do in the UK due to the fact that it's not a common occurrence for them to play here.

As for The Killers, I feel like people on this forum underestimate the sheer enormity of them. They've just done two sold out nights at The Emirates, along with a bunch of other smaller stadium shows and headline festivals all over the world. In my opinion, there's only two bands from the 00s onwards (three if you want to count Muse but Showbiz was released in '99) that could sell out stadiums and that's The Killers and Arctic Monkeys.

I know what you're saying but Kasabian have enough hits that the crowd will do well for them anyway. 

I don't disregard the size of The Killers, they aren't the same force they were but when it comes to Glastonbury I certainly don't think they would have been a booking without a need to fill in. They smashed it at Coventry. 

The Strokes I believe headlined Reading in 2002 but returns to co-headline with Pulp in 2011 who blew them away.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

The Strokes will play anywhere that will give them the fee, regardless of the size of the place. Tbh I was giving them a little extra when I even included them with Muse.

I know what you're saying but Kasabian have enough hits that the crowd will do well for them anyway. 

I don't disregard the size of The Killers, they aren't the same force they were but when it comes to Glastonbury I certainly don't think they would have been a booking without a need to fill in. They smashed it at Coventry. 

The Strokes I believe headlined Reading in 2002 but returns to co-headline with Pulp in 2011 who blew them away.

See, I think The Killers have just got bigger and bigger. Over the last month they've played 7 Stadiums in England, and they've got another 6 across the rest of the UK and Ireland over the next couple of weeks. The only reason they wouldn't necessarily have been booked for Glasto is because there could have been somebody else that hadn't played before on the table. There's a list as long as your arm of astronomical artists that wouldn't headline Glastonbury nowadays unless they were a stand-in. Coldplay, Muse, Liam Gallagher, The Who... You could even go so far as to say that the festival likely wouldn't approach The Rolling Stones or Adele as a first choice. Had The Killers not headlined on the Sam's Town tour, they'd probably have been high up on Glasto's list of gets.

There's plenty of artists that get touted as headliners for the next few years on this forum that wouldn't come close to The Killers' drawing power imo; Dave, Dua Lipa, The 1975, etc... Even Kendrick Lamar who is headlining this year. All of them are talented artists and they've got huge fan-bases but there's not many modern artists you could put above The Killers in terms of drawing-power IMO

3 hours ago, Olshansky said:

FWIW, I'm a nick cave STAN and even as a super fan, I'd never thought he'd headline the pyramid.  but his show at Primavera on Saturday night was one for the books, and the way even casual fans have been reacting to it is super cool.  If he continues this trajectory, and releases a record at least a little more radio friendly than Ghosteen, I think there's at least a shot he'd to the Pyramid at some point in the next years.  Maybe that's the wishful fan in me, I dunno.

Any act can headline the pyramid if their next release is one of the most popular albums of all time.

Nick Cave will never headline the pyramid. 

On 6/5/2022 at 11:05 AM, Matt42 said:

Some initial thoughts of who I reckon might be there. Think this is missing a lot of padding out - but some names I reckon will be in the mix on the main stages.

FRIDAY

PYRAMID: Arctic Monkeys // Lana Del Rey // Courteeners // Anderson. Paak & The Free Nationals

OTHER: Jorja Smith // Run The Jewels // Camila Cabello

SATURDAY

PYRAMID: The Weeknd // Biffy Clyro // Lizzo // Christine & The Queens

OTHER: Portishead // Robyn // Aitch

SUNDAY

PYRAMID: Taylor Swift // Stevie Nicks // Lil Nas X // Aerosmith

OTHER: The Prodigy // London Grammar // Rosalia

594509B1-B22E-400F-9551-4A119B86F648.jpeg

is Anderson .Paak based on anything or just a hunch? Was hoping Silk Sonic would do a round of European fests next summer after not bothering to cross the Atlantic this year. They’d be a good Other headliner against the Arctics or an older-skewing act, if they’re around. 

Alternatively, if both of them are out on their own again, let’s have Bruno Mars headlining instead of The Weeknd, please and thank you

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Almost definitely going to be missing next year for a wedding in Italy.

Kind of selfishly hoping it’s a very weak billing but I know I’m going to be wrong and miss something amazing. I’m not massively enthused on AM / Taylor so that could be a saving grace.