2023 Headliners

Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

One being able to say you’ve headlined one of the biggest festivals in the world. 

Not sure why he would particularly care about that, maybe his agents do but why should he?

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not sure why he would particularly care about that, maybe his agents do but why should he?

Isn’t exposure and clout literally drakes entire persona? The guy has built his career off maintaining high exposure and being front of mind. He’s competitive and if someone from his team told him to do a massive event that his contemporaries have also done I can see it. He’s played plenty of festivals before so it wouldn’t be that weird for him.

But as you’ve said it will be a decision of his team, who will always push for the biggest and best gigs possible.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Isn’t exposure and clout literally drakes entire persona? The guy has built his career off maintaining high exposure and being front of mind. He’s competitive and if someone from his team told him to do a massive event that his contemporaries have also done I can see it. He’s played plenty of festivals before so it wouldn’t be that weird for him.

But as you’ve said it will be a decision of his team, who will always push for the biggest and best gigs possible.

True actually, one show that will get a lot of exposure in one go. He barely does shows (well compared to how much he could rinse it at least) so doing this would give him a nice UK boost i suppose - just can't really get past the fact he doesn't actually need it.

EDIT: Also i don't think they would be in any rush to book him, hes not particularly acclaimed, has no message etc

Edited by gfa

It’s pretty obvious that Dave is the next cab off the rank for rappers headlining. After that who knows? There’s no obvious contender after that so I suppose if they are desperate to have another rapper at the top of the bill in 3-4 years time then maybe they call the Hotline Bling.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I reckon we'll get one of Dua Lipa or Taylor Swift, one of The 1975 or Florence + the Machine and then a heritage act as our trio.

1975 I’d put a bet on being at Reading instead. Dua taking 2023 off due to touring heavily this year.

Can’t see it being Florence. She still hasn’t sold out standing for one of her O2 dates months after it’s gone on sale. There doesn’t seem to be too much buzz around the new record at all. Dropped lots of singles but made very little impact. Not a solid headliner in the UK anymore. A good sub / other stage headliner though!

Reckon Taylor is the only likely one out of all you’ve mentioned.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

1975 I’d put a bet on being at Reading instead. Dua taking 2023 off due to touring heavily.

Can’t see it being Florence. She still hasn’t sold out standing for one of her O2 dates months after it’s gone on sale. There doesn’t seem to be too much buzz around the new record at all. Dropped lots of singles but made very little impact. Not a solid headliner in the UK anymore. A good sub / other stage headliner though!

Reckon Taylor is the only likely one out of all you’ve mentioned.

Yeah The 1975 could do Reading, and I think they probably will if they're not at Glasto. But I think there's a good chance that next year is their time. I think 2021 would have been their time and I'd imagine that Glasto will try to honour acts that were booked for that year as much as they can.

Dua is obvs touring heavily this year due to covid, she's just pretty much had 2 years off so I imagine she might be straight back to it next year. I also think it's odd that she hasn't been rebooked this year considering she's doing festivals in Europe at the same time. Makes me think she's been offered a bigger slot for next year.

Flo is a known friend of the festival and I think she'll get to headline properly in the coming years rather than being a bump up. Also think that info about her turning down a secret set as she'd rather headline seems a bit sus. She'll obvs be on the festival circuit next year, anyway.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah The 1975 could do Reading, and I think they probably will if they're not at Glasto. But I think there's a good chance that next year is their time. I think 2021 would have been their time and I'd imagine that Glasto will try to honour acts that were booked for that year as much as they can.

Dua is obvs touring heavily this year due to covid, she's just pretty much had 2 years off so I imagine she might be straight back to it next year. I also think it's odd that she hasn't been rebooked this year considering she's doing festivals in Europe at the same time. Makes me think she's been offered a bigger slot for next year.

Flo is a known friend of the festival and I think she'll get to headline properly in the coming years rather than being a bump up. Also think that info about her turning down a secret set as she'd rather headline seems a bit sus. She'll obvs be on the festival circuit next year, anyway.

I was going to post separately but I’d just reply to you with my thoughts on 2023 so far.

If I had to say what I thought was most likely right now

The Weeknd - Has pretty much confirmed he won’t hit Europe until next summer. Which I find quite interesting. Perhaps he wants his tour to fit around some other shows that can’t happen in 2022 (like some festival sets). Think it’s only a matter of time before he’s on the pyramid anyway as he’s now one of the biggest acts in the world never to do it. His recent releases have had huge crossover success and it’s just a total no brainer to me.

Taylor Swift - Really think her silence throughout most (if not all) of 2022 so far is telling. She’s completely vanished and when she vanishes it’s for a reason. With Swift nothing is a mistake. Whether it be TS10 or the rest of her re-recordings her silence is deafening. We’ve not heard from her since the Damon Albarn situation! I think the last we saw a new picture of her was when Drake posted a picture of them hanging out in a studio. I think she’s preparing for a huge 2023.

third - one of the heritage acts that ***from their original 2022 plans. A fair few older acts decided not to tour in 2023, I think next year will look super saturated for legends. I’d be surprised if Glasto got none of them.

Few other thoughts 

- Arctic Monkeys a possibility but as I’ve said before they’ve skipped Glasto on many album cycles. I wouldn’t be surprised if they skipped again. They may have headlined this year if there wasn’t a backlog, but I can see them letting it pass as they’ve done it before.

- If Taylor isn’t ready for 2023 I think it will be Adele. Whispers of a summer stadium tour, I can see her being a big name they’d rope in if Taylor and Dua aren’t around. 

Edited by Matt42

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

@Matt42 I do think The Weeknd is a good shout too.

I just think there’s been a fair few acts who have held back and not progressed with a 2022 tour, as they would have had to pencil the dates together when things were still pretty hairy.

A scramble for venues for 2023 probably has been going on for months now, I won’t be surprised if we see an entirely fresh roster of acts on the touring circuit - which will mean 2022’s heavy tourers will take time off.

Edited by Matt42

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Arctic Monkeys will do it I think

The Weeknd // Arctic Monkeys // Taylor Swift  with Aerosmith in the legends would be a popular top 4 I reckon. 

I just think there’s going to be quite a few heritage acts touring next year and I’d be surprised if Glastonbury didn’t bag one.

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

You have to think with Taylor it’s now a case of the festival saying “tell us when you want it and you’re in”. It’s when not if.

She’s been mad quiet this year. I think she’s really busy. Something is cooking. 

Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Taylor Swift

An all time best trio. Swap Taylor with Blur if she's not touring, she can videocall in halfway through their set and announce that she's playing 2024 instead.

Arctic Monkeys 100%. The way things are shaping up, their next UK tour is likely to come next Spring - I'd be surprised if Glastonbury doesn't feature when the time comes. All quiet on new music from them at the moment, however. Can't be too far off

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Arctic Monkeys 100%. The way things are shaping up, their next UK tour is likely to come next Spring - I'd be surprised if Glastonbury doesn't feature when the time comes. All quiet on new music from them at the moment, however. Can't be too far off

September