2023 Headliners

Matt42

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno. In terms of big current acts needing to do it I’d say he’s a likely shout now. Plus stadiums + Glastonbury is something we’ve seen from many acts before. 

Critically acclaimed, world famous, big internationally, first time headliner, great live show. It’s right up Glastonbury’s street tbh.

I don’t doubt him being up Glasto’s street, I doubt him choosing to do it.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I don’t doubt him being up Glasto’s street, I doubt him choosing to do it.

He will be managed by someone who manages another past headliner. I reckon it’s on the cards at some point. 

Edited by Matt42

The Weeknd would put on a show for the ages and I would love to see it happen but got to agree that it seems unlikely, especially next year whilst he's at his peak and everywhere will be paying him big money to entice him (could be a likely option for R+L)

Dave seems like the most likely option for Glasto, seeing as he's currently the most critically-acclaimed and most loved rapper within the UK and could have his next album ready for next year.

Dave / Arctic Monkeys / Dua Lipa

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He will be managed by someone who manages another past headliner. I reckon it’s on the cards at some point. 

Bruh why have you randomly decided this is gonna get every artist in the world to play Glasto?

It also doesn’t appear to be the case.

3 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

This woud require a massive shift in attitude from the band. Seems unlikely.  

Howcome they are against stadiums? Due to football?

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

If monkeys really are playing stadiums then that is a shift in attitude tbf but they’re obv big enough to do it. 

Not sure if reading to much into it thinking that this means they think this album will be popular in the way AM was.

I think if it wasn’t for covid they’d be doing way more in the U.K. this summer but clearly things have been pushed back 

They did 4 instant sold out nights at the o2 in 2018 - not friday or saturday as well plus plenty of other big dates. They could have done it last time round without a doubt

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

Howcome they are against stadiums? Due to football?

They did 4 instant sold out nights at the o2 in 2018 - not friday or saturday as well plus plenty of other big dates. They could have done it last time round without a doubt

Nah not football but they’ve said in the past they weren’t wanting to do stadiums. Think they said it was daunting or something. That could change of course 

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nah not football but they’ve said in the past they weren’t wanting to do stadiums. Think they said it was daunting or something. That could change of course 

I swear they did a stadium in Mexico last tour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foro_Sol

Not quite a football stadium but close enough - maybe that show made them realise its fine

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

I swear they did a stadium in Mexico last tour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foro_Sol

Not quite a football stadium but close enough - maybe that show made them realise its fine

Don’t know the ins and outs but theres this: 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.radiox.co.uk/artists/arctic-monkeys/reveal-if-they-would-play-uk-stadium-gig-daunting/

It’s clearly been a conscious decision thus far to not play them in the U.K. (so far) as they easily could have done. Maybe next year is the year 

They have played them before - mostly in Australia/New Zealand and one or two in the States - but it’s rare. They’ve actively avoided it over here to the extent that their longed-for Hillsborough gigs were going to be in the Park and not the stadium itself. I believe they were looking at doing a similar thing at the Olympic Park before they wound up at Finsbury that year, too. 

I’d be pretty shocked if their mindset changed at this point. 

8 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

While I understand the sentiment there, this is a band that has headlined The Iconic Pyramid Stage at The World Renowned Glastonbury Festival to 80+ thousand people live in the field, plus another 2+ million watching live (or near enough) on TV and several multiples of that worldwide watching highlights or on demand later. Twice.

Playing to a crowd of their own fans in a (slightly) smaller venue where they have far more control of the staging, lighting, sound setups and full choice of support acts really shouldn't be any more daunting than that.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:29 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

I hope Taylor plays next year and is announced quickly.

Not sure I could take another year of the Swift speculation.

😊 you know that’s nonsense, it’s the sodding oxygen that keeps this place going………

On 3/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, Matt42 said:

In my view whenever Oasis reunite it will happen very fast and probably come out of nowhere. In the same way that prophets of rage binned a whole tour when Rage reunited. Both of them having dates won’t mean anything. They can still fulfil their solo dates even if Oasis becomes a thing again. 

Maybe that is the way forward for them actually. Reuniting for the odd tour but continuing with their solo careers so they don’t get sick of eachother?

I would be pretty gobsmacked if Oasis ever re-unite to be honest, even if they repaired their relationship I don't think Noel would do it from a musical point of view. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moving from another thread but what would people think about 

Dua Lipa, Arctic Monkeys, Taylor Swift?

I commented that due to the pyramid this year looking female heavy, surely we are due a year with two female headliners in one year soon. With a fair bit of backlog due to enforced fallow years I wonder if that could be soon.

Big trio, especially with Dua’s festival headlining streak this year. Also Taylor Swift’s return to touring will be heavily anticipated.

Only thing that makes me doubt it is that’s (1) new headliner and (2) mid-career artists. I guess you could say 2017 had that balance so it’s not crazy to think they’d do it that way. 2016 also had two mid-career headliners with Coldplay / Muse.

I also think 2023 looks to be the year that some big heritage names are hitting the road again after the pandemic - U2, Springsteen, Maybe Fleetwood. I’d be surprised if none of them were in the mix.

Dua is having a big 2022, which makes me think there’s a chance she is taking 2023 off and will be back in 2024.

What do you think?

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Moving from another thread but what would people think about 

Dua Lipa, Arctic Monkeys, Taylor Swift?

I commented that due to the pyramid this year looking female heavy, surely we are due a year with two female headliners in one year soon. With a fair bit of backlog due to enforced fallow years I wonder if that could be soon.

Big trio, especially with Dua’s festival headlining streak this year. Also Taylor Swift’s return to touring will be heavily anticipated.

Only thing that makes me doubt it is that’s (1) new headliner and (2) mid-career artists. I guess you could say 2017 had that balance so it’s not crazy to think they’d do it that way. 2016 also had two mid-career headliners with Coldplay / Muse.

I also think 2023 looks to be the year that some big heritage names are hitting the road again after the pandemic - U2, Springsteen, Maybe Fleetwood. I’d be surprised if none of them were in the mix.

Dua is having a big 2022, which makes me think there’s a chance she is taking 2023 off and will be back in 2024.

What do you think?

It’s got as much chance as anything at this stage.

Taylor/Dave/Arctics seems like a well balanced trio, but not sure there's precedent (in recent years anyway) of Glastonbury repeating 2 of Reading's headliners? 

Shame Elton already looks doubtful for it. As long as they get LCD Soundsystem to headline West Holts on the Sunday I couldn't care less who is on the Pymild.