2023 Headliners

Matt42

1 minute ago, gfa said:

APE don't really book pyramid headliners though. Chems sold it out a few years ago just a few days before their show and are the quintessential other headliner. Tame are definitely still at the other headline slot - hopefully they do reading / parklife soon and put on a great show to keep them moving up UK lineups

Oh I totally agree. Pretty much every headliner APE have ever had are at Other Headline/ Pyramid Sub level, and Kevin is still there.

All my point was that it’s unfair to go after a band for not selling it out when it so seldom does normally.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

think a lot of us on the APE board are waiting for cheap tix haha

APE don't really book pyramid headliners though. Chems sold it out a few years ago just a few days before their show and are the quintessential other headliner. Tame are definitely still at the other headline slot - hopefully they do reading / parklife soon and put on a great show to keep them moving up UK lineups

They've booked Gorillaz this year who have headlined Pyramid (all be it a while back), Mumford in the past too as well as The Strokes who have probably missed the boat now but are probably considered big enough to?

As I've said Tame would be borderline (pun intended) Pyramid level now, but I think would pull it off

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Always funny when a band headlines every other festival in the world and its not good enough to just end up on The Pyramid based on random technicalities because it wouldnt look good on tele or something.

If this is Tame they definitely aren't big enough in the UK.. couldn't even sell out a night at the o2 like come on. They are big and i like them but they just aren't that big over here for whatever reason.

Can we ban this “all they need is just one big album” argument? That literally applies to anyone. Anyone can become anything with “just one big album”. The question is about what is likely to happen, a band who is floating is very unlikely to have “one big album” out of nowhere, because it’s very rare acts resurrect their career just from one record.

3 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Ah I see. Had a look at their setlists and they are very status. I’d have loved to see Black Gold and ironically that got binned so yeah, see your point entirely.

My favourite is Bad Habit. They don't go near it with a barge pole, alas.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Their APE date has appalling support and is on a thursday in fairness.

I had genuinely forgotten they were playing. Dang me not living in London, I guess.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Feels like the most recent Tame Impala LP came and went more or less unnoticed. But I could be way off with that. 

Yeah, it passed me bye. Alas, as with a lot, their time may have gone.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can we ban this “all they need is just one big album” argument?

You can try, but this is eFestivals. We deal in the ludicrously repetitive.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Still. It’s their only UK date and it’s not sold out? What’s the capacity?

45k i think. not saying they should headline pyramid but that show has everything stacked against it - like £70 too

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can we ban this “all they need is just one big album” argument? That literally applies to anyone. Anyone can become anything with “just one big album”. The question is about what is likely to happen, a band who is floating is very unlikely to have “one big album” out of nowhere, because it’s very rare acts resurrect their career just from one record.

Not impossible though, feel like with online streaming etc its rarer now. Biggest example i can think of is RHCP

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

You can try, but this is eFestivals. We deal in the ludicrously repetitive.

I know Happy Mondays were booked to open the other stage, but I don’t know why we aren’t talking about them as headliners. All they need is one big album, a Grammy winning song, and a really popular stadium tour and they will be right there. Don’t know why we are counting them out.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Always funny when a band headlines every other festival in the world and its not good enough to just end up on The Pyramid based on random technicalities because it wouldnt look good on tele or something.

Who are you talking about?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, gfa said:

Not impossible though, feel like with online streaming etc its rarer now. Biggest example i can think of is RHCP

RHCP have been a headline band for nearly my entire life though. They’ve never once dipped below headliner status at anything they’ve played.

The 1975 or whatever have grabbed a few headlining gigs in the UK, but most events they play internationally they don’t headline. Not the same.

There are doubts about the 1975’s size at the point in their career where they should a surefire headliner.

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yeah, it passed me bye. Alas, as with a lot, their time may have gone.

It did come out just before Lockdown too which won't have done them any favours.

I think Kevin Parker is too talented to suggest their time has gone

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The 1975 or whatever have grabbed a few headlining gigs in the UK, but most events they play internationally they don’t headline. Not the same.

There are doubts about the 1975’s size at the point in their career where they should a surefire headliner.

I think the line that just because a British artist doesn't headline events internationally makes them not credible headliners for a British festival is a bit codswallop, to be honest. (Also, didn't The 1975 headline Sziget in 2019 just before topping at Reading and Leeds? I know it being a week-long affair differs the headliner size arguably needed, but to compare.)

Allow me, in the interest of fairness, to play devil's advocate. They were booked to headline Boardmasters, alongside Kings of Leon and Skepta, in 2020, before the pandemic did a number.

But then, The Killers played Latitude in 2018 and Glastonbury in 2019, to play reverse devil's advocate.

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Could say the same about Stormzy.

You could - but by giving Stormzy the headline slot the festival was making a statement of intent that's distinct from other metrics you would usually use to judge whether or not an act is headliner size.

The only statement you make when you book The 1975 is 'we couldn't find anyone else'.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

You could - but by giving Stormzy the headline slot the festival was making a statement of intent that's distinct from other metrics you would usually use to judge whether or not an act is headliner size.

The only statement you make when you book The 1975 is 'we couldn't find anyone else'.

Well you could say the same about Kasabian then.

58 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

It did come out just before Lockdown too which won't have done them any favours.

I think Kevin Parker is too talented to suggest their time has gone

If we’re talking about them headlining the Pyramid, then they never had a time in the first place. They’ll do just fine headlining slightly smaller fests and I don’t see them ever dropping down from that, but Pyramid sub/Other headliner is their ceiling when it comes to Glastonbury.

Also the last album was a snooze fest. Couple of okay songs but largely just all blends together in to a hazy nothing. 

55 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Could say the same about Stormzy.

Stormzy is headlining Mad Cool this year and actually played a pretty sizeable tour in the US.

But either way, Stormzy’s music isn’t likely to catch on in the US anyway. The 1975 were making straight up Americana and it hasn’t helped them become a headliner there.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Stormzy is headlining Mad Cool this year and actually played a pretty sizeable tour in the US.

But either way, Stormzy’s music isn’t likely to catch on in the US anyway. The 1975 were making straight up Americana and it hasn’t helped them become a headliner there.

They did drop off a bit there. Didn't the second record do very big miles? Would have argued there was a point they were bigger there than here.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough.