2023 Headliners

Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No I don’t think it’s about turning down Glastonbury. Glastonbury will give her a headline slot when it works for her. They will want her to headline at a time that works. I highly doubt they are playing hard ball like “you need to headline now whether it works for you or you’re gonna lose it” - not a position I imagine Emily takes.

She’s probably already lined up for 2024. When she’s had a year off and a new album.

Yeah mebbes. But that's still influenced by what the festival would offer. I still reckon if they offered it to her for 2023 she'd take it.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

So you think Taylor and Dua both for 2024? Dave as well?

Imo Glastonbury is bound to book two female headliners in the same year one year. Taylor passing on 2023 may push to make this happen.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Two female headliners isn’t a problem, but the lack of diversity in genre is. I think they’d try and space them out.

Yup, no way they’re booking two female all-out pop acts to headline in one year. 

Especially with Dave likely to get his shot around then too. They're not gonna have no rock headliners. Not this soon, anyway.

It’s bound to happen one year though isn’t it?

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup, no way they’re booking two female all-out pop acts to headline in one year. 

Absolutely. Not saying they are big enough - because they're not - but a hypothetical future scenario where you had Wolf Alice and Dua Lipa would make sense, given their genre differences. 

Yeah but when it does I think it'll be more varied than Dave / Dua Lipa / Taylor Swift.

Can’t help but feel like if Taylor has passed on 2023, someone like Dua, Dave, Harry etc is going to lose their shot. Unless the festival is brave and books a more forward looking trio.

Regarding Dua touring extensively this year (which she is), that's largely due to covid pushing her tour back. Originally she'd have toured extensively in 2020/2021 and probably had 2022 as a quieter year to come back in 2023. But she obvs was forced to have a quieter 2020/2021, so I'm not sure she'll be looking to take a whole year off again. Really don't think her doing Glastonbury and then a late 2023 tour is out the question at all.

Regarding Dua touring extensively this year (which she is), that's largely due to covid pushing her tour back. Originally she'd have toured extensively in 2020/2021 and probably had 2022 as a quieter year to come back in 2023. But she obvs was forced to have a quieter 2020/2021, so I'm not sure she'll be looking to take a whole year off again. Really don't think her doing Glastonbury and then a late 2023 tour is out the question at all.

But when do artists ever do Glastonbury as a one off? It’s always part of a larger tour.

Posted (edited)

I meant Glastonbury and a couple other summer shows, and then a late 2023 tour. Something like what Kendrick has done this year.

Yeah I guess that’s possible. 

I just think Dua’s team will be concerned about overexposure and probably think it’s best for her to take a break. She’s been at the top for nearly three years now, I think another year playing it large could be detrimental. Future nostalgia being the never ending era!

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Beyonce has a new album on the way

There’s nothing more I’d love than for Beyoncé to return, but I just can’t see it really. I feel like Adele returning is more likely than Beyoncé returning. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I guess that’s possible. 

I just think Dua’s team will be concerned about overexposure and probably think it’s best for her to take a break. She’s been at the top for nearly three years now, I think another year playing it large could be detrimental. Future nostalgia being the never ending era!

Only been able to do gigs for one of those years though. I'm also imagining this as either a prelude to a new album/just as a new album has been released.

It's also notable that she wasn't rebooked this year. Makes me think that a Pyramid deal has already been agreed for the near future.

Only been able to do gigs for one of those years though. I'm also imagining this as either a prelude to a new album/just as a new album has been released.

It's also notable that she wasn't rebooked this year. Makes me think that a Pyramid deal has already been agreed for the near future.

Either way, the point has to be made that Glastonbury is experiencing a crazy backlog right now. Lots of acts who could headline if given a shot.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Seems a reasonable shout.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t help but feel like if Taylor has passed on 2023, someone like Dua, Dave, Harry etc is going to lose their shot. Unless the festival is brave and books a more forward looking trio.

Have to disagree. Think the stock that all three have in the bank makes them big enough to headline in the next two years. If Taylor Swift was intended for 2023 and instead rolls into 2024, chances are one of them, if earmarked for the latter, moves up to plug the gap.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Either way, the point has to be made that Glastonbury is experiencing a crazy backlog right now. Lots of acts who could headline if given a shot.

And double post, but absolutely, aye. In terms of first-time headliners, there's quite a few credible contenders.

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Thats a problem for lots of the big fests. There just arent enough slots for everyone that could fill the top of a lineup.  They could be sneaky and just throw in fleetwood for legend and you technically have 4 headliners in a respective. Maybe even give them 90 mins. Its just theyre on in the daytime. Gotta get creative somehow.

And on the female headliner talk, when are they gonna get to 3 female headliners. Thats the biggest obstacle when it comes to genre diversity. I mean that could be the pitch you make to Taylor now so she just holds off on coming back til they got that lined up. But who else is put in there. Wolf Alice is the obvious "rock" choice and Florence isnt really defined as a pop act so you got that going for you. They prob couldnt roll the dice on a Paramore cause of looking like Reading/Leeds, even though they shared some top talent. If Olivia made a total punk album for her follow up it would def lean towards not so pop I guess. But do they throw her up to the top that fast cause they capitalize on the stardom and you luck out with a right place/time if her career slows down. Always tricky.

31 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Thats a problem for lots of the big fests. There just arent enough slots for everyone that could fill the top of a lineup.  They could be sneaky and just throw in fleetwood for legend and you technically have 4 headliners in a respective. Maybe even give them 90 mins. Its just theyre on in the daytime. Gotta get creative somehow.

And on the female headliner talk, when are they gonna get to 3 female headliners. Thats the biggest obstacle when it comes to genre diversity. I mean that could be the pitch you make to Taylor now so she just holds off on coming back til they got that lined up. But who else is put in there. Wolf Alice is the obvious "rock" choice and Florence isnt really defined as a pop act so you got that going for you. They prob couldnt roll the dice on a Paramore cause of looking like Reading/Leeds, even though they shared some top talent. If Olivia made a total punk album for her follow up it would def lean towards not so pop I guess. But do they throw her up to the top that fast cause they capitalize on the stardom and you luck out with a right place/time if her career slows down. Always tricky.

There are plenty of female/female-led acts bubbling away under the surface who could conceivably be at that level in a few years. Not just those mentioned but Wet Leg, Rina Sawayama, Griff, Self Esteem, Megan Thee, Lizzo, Phoebe Bridgers, Arlo Parks, London Grammar and Jorja Smith all also have varying levels of potential if they play their cards right. Lorde too if she can arrest her stall in momentum.

In the shorter term, I certainly don’t think it’s impossible we could see trio along the lines of Swift, O-Rod and Little Simz in the next few years.

Of course it’d be even more plausible for an all lady top of the bill to occur if one of the reluctant icons like Madonna or FM would give in and agree to play, but it’s no longer the case that they need to sign up one of those pair (or a returner like Beyoncé/Adele) to make it work. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

4 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Would The Eagles be a dream headliner for Glastonbury? They're touring the UK this year but could come back next year for the gig?

Taylor Swift / Elton John / The Eagles 

Personally would much, much rather have Don Henley solo in the legends slot.

More likely as well.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Don’t think it’s impossible we could see trio along the lines of Swift, O-Rod and Little Simz in a few years.

Even more plausible for an all lady top of the bill to occur if one of the iconic female/female-led acts like Madonna or FM would give in and agree to play, of course. 

Misread O-Rod as Rod Stewart for a moment there, steady on.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Personally would much, much rather have Don Henley solo in the legends slot.

More likely as well.

Just play The Boys of Summer a dozen times in a row, it will still be ruddy fantastic.