Partner Q to 'how often' - How many times have you been to the festival?

paulshane

Partner Q to 'how often' - How many times have you been to the festival?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. How many Glasonburys have you been to?

• 0 - Never been
    • 1 - 3 times
    • 4 - 9 times
    • 10 - 19 times
    • 20 - 31 times
    • 31 - 35 times
    • 36 times, i.e. every single one so far

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Above 20 and less than 31.

not bad at all - Well so far I have been to 32 although each time I am asked face to face I struggle as its not easy to work out due to the gap years

+ if we go by https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/

the total would be 35 and not 36 - there was a year in the 70's where people showed
up but GFL { right or wrong } do not count that.

I know I was not aware of it in 1970 or 1971 and would not have had a clue about 1979 if it was not for a festival band booker who booked a folk band in the Half Moon in Putney that I was connected to - Pilton was not even showing on a AA Car Atlas ' but we were giving a rough map on a beer mat.

1979 was the first ' 3 day event ' weekend ticket was £5 - I kid you not

all the people who went with me in 1979 just dropped out in the 80's - most after 1985 { A very wet and muddy year } - turning point for me was in 1988 when I was able to join the WBC so the last actual ticket I have is 1987 { I kept all the tickets but cant find all the wrist bands } 19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg1979-2.thumb.jpg.e1433648dd513f643f72b3cca0a816a1.jpg

• Upvote 7

Interesting the amount of people that went years ago, had a big gap then started going again.

Wondering what would stop me...Me and my girlfriend have talked about marriage and kids (I'm 40 and she's 32 so we are thinking a baby has to happen soonish or not at all) so perhaps that would stop me going as I would only give it up for financial reasons and even then I'm sure I could save up a bit each month to afford it anyway....failing that, ill health would be the only other reason I can think of that would stop me from going.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:36 AM, glasto-worker said:

not bad at all - Well so far I have been to 32 although each time I am asked face to face I struggle as its not easy to work out due to the gap years

the total would be 35 and not 36 - there was a year in the 70's where people showed

I know I was not aware of it in 1970 or 1971 and would not have had a clue about 1979 if it was not for a festival band booker who booked a folk band in the Half Moon in Putney that I was connected to - Pilton was not even showing on a AA Car Atlas ' but we were giving a rough map on a beer mat.

all the people who went with me in 1979 just dropped out in the 80's - most after 1985 { A very wet and muddy year } - turning point for me was in 1988 when I was able to join the WBC so the last actual ticket I have is 1987 { I kept all the tickets but cant find all the wrist bands } 19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg1979-2.thumb.jpg.e1433648dd513f643f72b3cca0a816a1.jpg

I remember 85 as lots of folks had simply never seen rain and mud there before - so there were quite a few who didn't even bring tents or weatherproof gear.

They used to have that market which I think was somewhere up the hill above the pyramid?  I was manning a stall there flogging cheese rolls 3 for a quid for the local Liberal Party and you'd see occasional punters who had tried to protect their DMs or trainers by wrapping a carrier bag around them - not very effective and no traction 😞 

Some folks instead of a tent may have a piece of guy rope strung between two motorbikes with a bit of polythene over the top - as in those days of course the car parks weren't far off and separate.  Who could have thought that having pissed or stoned folks moving cars or motorbikes through crowds/bonfires/what have you may cause concern for health and safety?  Was great fun though 🙂  

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

I remember 85 as lots of folks had simply never seen rain and mud there before - so there were quite a few who didn't even bring tents or weatherproof gear.

They used to have that market which I think was somewhere up the hill above the pyramid?  I was manning a stall there flogging cheese rolls 3 for a quid for the local Liberal Party and you'd see occasional punters who had tried to protect their DMs or trainers by wrapping a carrier bag around them - not very effective and no traction 😞 

Some folks instead of a tent may have a piece of guy rope strung between two motorbikes with a bit of polythene over the top - as in those days of course the car parks weren't far off and separate.  Who could have thought that having pissed or stoned folks moving cars or motorbikes through crowds/bonfires/what have you may cause concern for health and safety?  Was great fun though 🙂  

yes I know - perhaps its the Boy Scout in me but ' no way would I go to a festival without full camping gear '.

re ' punters wrapping a carrier bag around them ' - yes that was Very common and ' they were making it worse not better ' as they would slid all over the shop.

Re ' Old market ' - did you spot the rastafarian cafe ? in a huge marquee tent 'near the top of the hill ' ## You could buy anything in there ## run by people from Bristol with a enormous sound system .

they got a way with it for so many years but then GFL would not let them back on site sometime later in the 80's

I used to drive down from London so found it handy being able to park beside our
group of tents although I cant recall the year they stopped people doing that.

Re Fires - one year two idiots who were well out of it ' dragged their own tent into their own fire ' - Not a second hand story - I was standing there watching them ' making sure they did not touch any of my friends tents '

anyway ' we survived 85 '

work55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

yes I know - perhaps its the Boy Scout in me but ' no way would I go to a festival without full camping gear '.

re ' punters wrapping a carrier bag around them ' - yes that was Very common and ' they were making it worse not better ' as they would slid all over the shop.

Re ' Old market ' - did you spot the rastafarian cafe ? in a huge marquee tent 'near the top of the hill ' ## You could buy anything in there ## run by people from Bristol with a enormous sound system .

they got a way with it for so many years but then GFL would not let them back on site sometime later in the 80's

I used to drive down from London so found it handy being able to park beside our

Re Fires - one year two idiots who were well out of it ' dragged their own tent into their own fire ' - Not a second hand story - I was standing there watching them ' making sure they did not touch any of my friends tents '

I'm not sure I remember the cafe.  I obviously remember the many dealers tents up there, as there would be someone shouting their wares out the front - and a wide range they did too!

Great that you've got photos and mementos from back then - I've got little if anything from the earlier years I went.  Either I got in on a traders ticket or I was erm busy.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:36 AM, glasto-worker said:

I love these bits of history!

When did the plastic style wristbands get dropped off in favour for the cloth ones? In the Eavis vs Goodge doc they’re still in use then I think 

Hard to count them all.  Like many I went in the early days, had a gap with kids and career andn then restarted again later.  But my claim to fame is that I went to Glastonburys -2 and -1, the Bath Blues Festival in 69 and Shepton Mallet in 70 which Michael Eavis attended and says were the inspiration for Glastonbury.

Bath Festival of Blues - Wikipedia

The Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music 1970- updated November 2009

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Hard to count them all.  Like many I went in the early days, had a gap with kids and career andn then restarted again later.  But my claim to fame is that I went to Glastonburys -2 and -1, the Bath Blues Festival in 69 and Shepton Mallet in 70 which Michael Eavis attended and says were the inspiration for Glastonbury.

Bath Festival of Blues - Wikipedia

The Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music 1970- updated November 2009

What I always find fascinating looking at posters like this, is what would people have thought of it at the time Looking back the lineups look stacked as many of the artists have stood the test of time and are revered these days. But would people have viewed Led Zep / Jefferson Airplane / Frank Zappa / Santana all on the same bill on the same day as stacked? For example, Pink Floyd are third row down because of their status at the time. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm not sure I remember the cafe.  I obviously remember the many dealers tents up there, as there would be someone shouting their wares out the front - and a wide range they did too!

Great that you've got photos and mementos from back then - I've got little if anything from the earlier years I went.  Either I got in on a traders ticket or I was erm busy.

I suspect you were not the only one to miss it as it was in the area the traders used to park in { so not in the collection of trader stalls } but ' what really stood out was the two Enormous doorman ' - trust me if I was not a Glaswegian I would not have entered as well - I have mentioned the rastafarian cafe before and someone did mention they came from Bristol - what I found very funny was ' no one was drinking tea or Coffee ' - in Scotland and certain parts of London ' they would be called a Shebeen ' - no way would they be allowed to trade now but a way back then there was not much checking as to what each trader was up to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

no way would they be allowed to trade now but a way back then there was not much checking as to what each trader was up to.

No, the years with less security and no police on site were very different times.

My parents were there at some points during the day and my Dad coming back asking what "Black 'ash" was, as he'd heard someone selling it 🙂 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:30 AM, Mardy said:

Worked 93 and 94 post festival clear-up. Bunked the fence 95. Went abroad to live, so wasn't on the cards for lots of years. Decided to go again in 2007, been every festival since. Not got a ticket for next year. Not sure how I'm feeling about it. Suprisingly relaxed, I guess. Maybe my time is up. Will probably try for tickets in the resale, but I'll be honest, EOTR has stolen my heart.

So, in total, 14, I think

'surprisingly relaxed' is good until its on, and you;re sat on the stairs sulking (its what I do when I miss out on something )  working out how to bunk in again 😉 Pull yourself together Mr Mardy  - EOTR has your heart you think, but Glastonbury will always be your first and most passionate love and you can;t just dump her like that ......... resale surely ...... we need you there. Sure she changes, we all change, we grow but we never forget and there are always snippets of her that will pull you back in again 🙂 

Note to self: Must try EOTR one year 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:46 AM, glasto-worker said:

work55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg

Just realised the pub you're on about....drank in it before I think, although my more favoured pub when watching Arsenal at Fulham is the Dukes Head. 🙂

2022 will be my 15th on the bounce, first went in 2003 when I was going through a messy break up with my girlfriend and mother of my children.  2009 was when the same lady first came with me, after we happily got back together after a 2 year break, so 2022 will be her 10th.  She's talking about retiring, I can't imagine not being there, as long as the ticket gods are kind.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, mike46 said:

When did the plastic style wristbands get dropped off in favour for the cloth ones? In the Eavis vs Goodge doc they’re still in use then I think 

I would not have a clue but ' if you spot any plastic style wristbands ' - some are not Ticket holders. A crew cloth ones is always a different colour to the ticket holder cloth one but if a person has to work say backstage they will be issued with a second plastic wristband ' and I know some people who end up with three.'

For many years they did not issue a crew ticket but recently they have started
handing them out { note there is no photo on that ticket } - but the more important pass is the bottom one - the WBC employ their own crew camp security and without that pass a person cant enter the crew camping area.

IMG_20191006_0002-1200.thumb.jpg.60a85f49b4004f0b8c6ea1435c85dd19.jpg

On 10/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, mike46 said:

I'm not sure ticket holders ever got plastic wristbands, I've been going since 1995, and the earliest ones didn't have bands at all, you got a UV stamp on your hand, which was scary if you were in a camper van, as although you got a paper passout, there was the constant worry the stamp would rub off overnight and you wouldn't be let back in.

However, the crew passes are plastic, this is some of my collection from over the years (full discalimer, I'm not crew, I just know lots of crew who occasionally have spare passes for the stage bars 🙂 ) and for example, the Park Stage band from 2019 (edit, I think it was 2019) was a plastic clip on one. The other crew areas are usually the plasticy/cloth type that stick together.

image.thumb.png.331d18707cc474c59151fdc236e1757f.png

Edited by paulshane
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, paulshane said:

I'm not sure ticket holders ever got plastic wristbands, I've been going since 1995, and the earliest ones didn't have bands at all, you got a UV stamp on your hand, which was scary if you were in a camper van, as although you got a paper passout, there was the constant worry the stamp would rub off overnight and you wouldn't be let back in.

However, the crew passes are plastic, this is some of my collection from over the years (full discalimer, I'm not crew, I just know lots of crew who occasionally have spare passes for the stage bars 🙂 ) and for example, the Park Stage band from 2019 (edit, I think it was 2019) was a plastic clip on one. The other crew areas are usually the plasticy/cloth type that stick together.

image.thumb.png.331d18707cc474c59151fdc236e1757f.png

Sorry but that claim is wrong as I was a ticket holder from 1979 to 1987 and although I cant find them all ' these were issued when you drove in or walked in '

now what happened from 1989 to ticket holders I would not have a clue as I never bought a ticket as I always had a crew pass

I still have these and the paper tickets and I know 100% I was not working.

19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

Sorry but that claim is wrong as I was a ticket holder from 1979 to 1987 and although I cant find them all ' these were issued when you drove in or walked in '

now what happened from 1989 to ticket holders I would not have a clue as I never bought a ticket as I always had a crew pass

I still have these and the paper tickets and I know 100% I was not working.

19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg

cool 🙂 I wonder why wristbands got phased out?

On 10/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, paulshane said:

cool 🙂 I wonder why wristbands got phased out?

it sounds like something Emily Eavis would have wanted but I could be wrong.  

it took time but I found it - the main problem is I know after 1987 I never bought a ticket again so I always had a crew pass { or passes } so if below is correct they had plastic weekend ticket holder wristbands up to 1998.

going by https://www.idcband.com/about-us/

I quote ' ID&C stands for Identification & Control, which is the core of our business. In 1999 we introduced the UK's first fabric festival wristband at Glastonbury a product which is now widely used at festivals and events around the world. '

I have a feeling they kept issuing the plastic crew wristbands for some years after 1999 but at some stage they switched to fabric crew wristbands { they are different and they are a different colour }

I moved to my current flat nearly 4 years ago and all my passes and wristbands - hundreds of them from many festivals are stored in a box but I have not found the correct box { it will surface at some point in time }