How often do you go to Glastonbury?

kalifire

How often do you go to Glastonbury?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you go to Glastonbury?

• Every year without fail (ticket depending)
    • As often as possible (more often than not)
    • Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't
    • Once for the bucket list
    • No interest in going and I don't know what I'm doing here

1 hour ago, benali said:

Not sure I'm going to win over the crowd with this post, but here goes...

Went once in 1997. Forgot my sleeping bag, didn't take any wet weather stuff. Both were horrendous mistakes. 

Barely went anywhere because the whole site was screwed over by the mud so we camped right by the dance tent and just went in and out of there. The only 2 good things about it were that I didn't pay to get in and saw Aphex Twin.

I have no inclination to go again.

What brings a stranger to these boards  pardner..? Lord knows this is a church that could often do with broadening.. but you may need some thick skin with that 'devils talk'...

22 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

What brings a stranger to these boards  pardner..? Lord knows this is a church that could often do with broadening.. but you may need some thick skin with that 'devils talk'...

I post in the Green Man and End of the Road forums because we go to them every year. I was looking for a place to discuss music once those boards die down and noticed it was a lot busier in here. 

As this forum is seemingly busier all year round I thought it might be somewhere to discuss gigs that people are going to and find out about some bands I might otherwise not have heard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Going in and out of the dance tent probably wouldn’t on it’s own give me inclination to keep going .. although I’m sure it has a pull … there is quite a lot more too it than that area .. 

Oh yeah, I get that. We did wander around a bit on the first day or so we were there but conditions and poor choice of footwear and clothing worked against us! Probably should have done more prep than being sat in our student house and deciding on a whim to drive there and see if we could get in. An hour later we were in the car trying to work out where the site was on a paper map. Somehow we made it, parked in a random driveway for £10 and 30 minutes later were pitching our crappy tent in the rain.

Spent some time in the stone circle and have hazy memories of walking for about an hour to find some stage or another only to find out it had sunk and was closed. I think it was after that we gave up and made do with the dance tent.

I understand how important the festival is to some people. I've been to enough other ones to know that feeling isn't unique to Glastonbury and much prefer smaller events which are much easier to navigate and offer more than enough entertainment over 4 days.

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Every bloody year since 02 … apart from 09 as I had got back from a 9 month Nz working holiday 1 month before and didn’t know about all the other ways of getting in …. Let’s see what the resale brings … 

Need to sort your signature out if you missed 2009!

14 hours ago, fred quimby said:

We had a wedding to go to. Mrs Qs close cousin, kind of grew up as Sisters. I was gutted and wanted to bail but sadly couldn't, was horrible on the build up, it is part of my soul . The Friday and Saturday weren't too bad cus  of the wedding and we got twated, managed some acid which is always fun at a wedding. 

Big family fall out since and they do not talk anymore so maybe not worth it in the end

Not missing one again. I am lucky as I have worked there since 1999 and (fingers crossed) always know I will be there next year

oh wow...a mate of ours got married in Yorkshire on Glastonbury weekend in 2015...lets just say a lot of loose acquaintances of his got bumped up to full all day invitations for it!

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Need to sort your signature out if you missed 2009!

I’m a fraud … now can’t work out how to change it … definately missed it though … good spot ... anyone know where signature settings are in profile ... I cant continue my day until ive sorted it  edit ignore that ive sorted it 🙂

Edited by crazyfool1

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m a fraud … now can’t work out how to change it … definately missed it though … good spot ... anyone know where signature settings are in profile ... I cant continue my day until ive sorted it  edit ignore that ive sorted it 🙂

Now you've missed 2008 & 2009 😄

17 hours ago, benali said:

Not sure I'm going to win over the crowd with this post, but here goes...

Went once in 1997. Forgot my sleeping bag, didn't take any wet weather stuff. Both were horrendous mistakes. 

Barely went anywhere because the whole site was screwed over by the mud so we camped right by the dance tent and just went in and out of there. The only 2 good things about it were that I didn't pay to get in and saw Aphex Twin.

I have no inclination to go again.

Haha this is insane to me - “gave my self worst possible opportunity to enjoy X 24 years ago, never trying X again”

First went in 97 and was totally hooked. Been to about 15 since then ie whenever I could get tickets. Been with son, daughter, various friends and solo. Always loved it. 

I'm getting old now and the stress of Tday etc is tiring. Keep promising myself that I will do one more then stick to smaller festivals. But once addicted.....

21 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

All since 2010 but ticketless for 2022. Will try but have Rock Werchter booked and a Rammstein clash on Sunday!

There's a bit of me that thinks it might be good not to go - just to realise that missing out isn't a total disaster.

I do think it's good to miss one for that reason. I've been every year since 2008 except 2016 (when we didn't get tickets). Up until then it was my absolute worst nightmare and I was inconsolable but missing a year made me realise life goes on and you can go back. I'm ticketless for 2022 and gutted about it, but I now have the experience of not going to know I'll be alright and do other things. That said I bloody wish I was going next year. Will probably try the resale, but feels so far away! 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I do think it's good to miss one for that reason. I've been every year since 2008 except 2016 (when we didn't get tickets). Up until then it was my absolute worst nightmare and I was inconsolable but missing a year made me realise life goes on and you can go back. I'm ticketless for 2022 and gutted about it, but I now have the experience of not going to know I'll be alright and do other things. That said I bloody wish I was going next year. Will probably try the resale, but feels so far away! 

If it's any consolation if there was one to miss for me 2016 would have been the one I'd choose. I started going in 2010 and since then 2011 is the only one I missed and I hated missing it. Like you I currently don't have one for next year and will be trying in the re-sale. A lot of people complaining about them not honouring the 2020 price so hopefully they'll all be giving up their tickets in protest!!

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

If it's any consolation if there was one to miss for me 2016 would have been the one I'd choose. I started going in 2010 and since then 2011 is the only one I missed and I hated missing it. Like you I currently don't have one for next year and will be trying in the re-sale. A lot of people complaining about them not honouring the 2020 price so hopefully they'll all be giving up their tickets in protest!!

Ha funnily enough you're not the first person to say that to me about 2016... we had a wonderful time at Blue Dot and Supernormal instead 🙂

I haven't given up on the resale but having booked Primavera and other plans creeping in I kind of know it will be a bit late in the day to commit to it. I won't be able to stop myself trying most likely.

5 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Haha this is insane to me - “gave my self worst possible opportunity to enjoy X 24 years ago, never trying X again”

Ha, yeah. Don't need to go again because of Green Man, EoTR and whatever other festivals we go to. 

Also it's in school time so we could only go on Friday afternoon and come back Monday. What's the point of that?

On 9/30/2021 at 2:16 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

2016 was my least favourite of my Glastonburys but beforehand was the one I was looking forward to most.  I'd managed to get the pre-festival shifts on the recycling crew so was finished on the Thursday and also be on site for a few days before it opened to the public. But with the rain and the site was so muddy it was real hard work getting around and my feet were in a terrible state and ended up in the medical tent. I'd also bought a new tent which was a bit too small, especially as I was on site for a week.  Only time I've ever come home early and left on the Sunday and my car got stuck in the mud! So all of this combined with the bloody referendum result made for my worst festival. 

Did 84&86 and then waited til 1995 to go again and have been every year since except 2004 when I couldn’t get tickets ( the year of hanging on the phone for hours and trying dial up Internet 🙄) and 2008 when I could have got tickets as it didn’t sell out til day before but I was in Australia for a family wedding. So a fair few! And will be there in 22 too 😀

7 hours ago, dondo said:

2016 was my least favourite of my Glastonburys but beforehand was the one I was looking forward to most.  I'd managed to get the pre-festival shifts on the recycling crew so was finished on the Thursday and also be on site for a few days before it opened to the public. But with the rain and the site was so muddy it was real hard work getting around and my feet were in a terrible state and ended up in the medical tent. I'd also bought a new tent which was a bit too small, especially as I was on site for a week.  Only time I've ever come home early and left on the Sunday and my car got stuck in the mud! So all of this combined with the bloody referendum result made for my worst festival. 

Yeah a lot of people say it was a good one to miss! I can only conclude that this means a mudfest for 2022 as well as clearly it's my presence that prevents it getting really bad.

First went in 07 and have gone every year since apart from the last one which I couldn’t get tickets for. My wife was 3 months pregnant at the festival in 2017 and next year we will be coming with my 2 kids. Looking forward to it like it’s my first time there, going to be a total different festival 

Went first in 2004, got tickets in resale which I don't think was advertised. Just logged onto website a random day in April and...bingo. Then been every year except for 2013 when the ticket gods weren't smiling on us (and See changed the booking system). Tickets for 2022 in the bag and looking forward to it. Getting older, so we stay at Worthy View now. purely because the tramp from the car is 500 yards not 3 miles. Intend to keep going as long as we can get tickets/manage it. Have been to other festivals, but nothing comes close...though Beautiful Days and Green Man are looking tempting.

Every year since 1989, spent most of that first time playing football in the police compound and up and down the lanes to Shepton Mallet courthouse, long story. But the experiences I had within the festival that year changed my life forever and for the better and I haven't missed one since. My three kids have also been every year since they were born, now aged 18,16,13. That's why I always respect the struggling pram pushers, I've been there, done it. 

Edited by Cooter
  • Upvote 1