How often do you go to Glastonbury?

kalifire

How often do you go to Glastonbury?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you go to Glastonbury?

• Every year without fail (ticket depending)
    • As often as possible (more often than not)
    • Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't
    • Once for the bucket list
    • No interest in going and I don't know what I'm doing here

First went in 1997 and only saw 2 bands before leaving for hospital (friend broke their ankle climbing fence).  Back in 2000 properly (tickets bought)

Left Scotland in 2005 and after immigrating to Canada, never really thought about it.  Until I realised they have no real festivals in Canada comparable to anything in the UK.  Started watching the highlights on BBC and pining for a return.  Returned in 2017 with my wife and just loved every second of it.  Missed out on tickets for 2019, but got tix for the next three years 2020/21/22 🤣.

Also plan on trying for tickets every year now and if successful will just try to make it work (also hope to take the kids in 2023/2024)

• Upvote 1

First went in 2003.  

Managed to get tickets again in 2004.

Didn't get tickets in 2005 but volunteered for recycling crew.

Took a few years off as got married and had children.

Returned via recycling crew in 2010, 11, 13, 16 and 19 having opted out certain years for various reasons.  Will be back in 22 volunteering and will probably keep doing that route for future years. 

Did try a couple of times to get tickets so could go as a family but had no luck.

As a young teenager I read all about this mysterious gathering in 70 and71 in the melody maker, and bought the Glastonbury Fayre triple album. It looked incredible. Then along came further education, marriage, mortgages, kids, kids at uni etc etc. Though did manage the festival in 85.  Back in 2010 and then from 2014 onwards. Been lucky with tickets ever since

So heres some advice from an oldie , if you’ve kids, bring them, if you can afford the ticket, apply.  I regret all those missed years, though really couldn’t afford it and working full time in education didn’t help with time off.  Don’t have second thoughts about going, you will regret it in the future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Not far off the truth. You forgot the bottle stall

Yes sorry, too busy fantasising about wenches frolicking in gaily coloured frocks singing Somerset ballads. Think I spend too much time at the Avalon stage. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

wow - impressive.

how come you missed 2009? how did you feel at the time missing it?

We had a wedding to go to. Mrs Qs close cousin, kind of grew up as Sisters. I was gutted and wanted to bail but sadly couldn't, was horrible on the build up, it is part of my soul . The Friday and Saturday weren't too bad cus  of the wedding and we got twated, managed some acid which is always fun at a wedding. 

Big family fall out since and they do not talk anymore so maybe not worth it in the end

Not missing one again. I am lucky as I have worked there since 1999 and (fingers crossed) always know I will be there next year

Edited by fred quimby

3 hours ago, northernringo said:

Haven't been yet - still a slim hope for 2022 in the resale but hopefully if not that, then 2023.

I'd say when I do go for the first time, I'll try and go every few years.

You might say different once you’ve been once 🙂 … the fallow years will throw things out of sync too 🙂 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

As a young teenager I read all about this mysterious gathering in 70 and71 in the melody maker….

…..Don’t have second thoughts about going, you will regret it in the future.

This.

You must be about the same vintage as me @AyrshireChris - and my first time was 2008.  3 cheers for old guys.

Not sure I'm going to win over the crowd with this post, but here goes...

Went once in 1997. Forgot my sleeping bag, didn't take any wet weather stuff. Both were horrendous mistakes. 

Barely went anywhere because the whole site was screwed over by the mud so we camped right by the dance tent and just went in and out of there. The only 2 good things about it were that I didn't pay to get in and saw Aphex Twin.

I have no inclination to go again.

10 minutes ago, benali said:

Not sure I'm going to win over the crowd with this post, but here goes...

Went once in 1997. Forgot my sleeping bag, didn't take any wet weather stuff. Both were horrendous mistakes. 

Barely went anywhere because the whole site was screwed over by the mud so we camped right by the dance tent and just went in and out of there. The only 2 good things about it were that I didn't pay to get in and saw Aphex Twin.

I have no inclination to go again.

Going in and out of the dance tent probably wouldn’t on it’s own give me inclination to keep going .. although I’m sure it has a pull … there is quite a lot more too it than that area ..