Isle of Wight 2022

Samba123

Another useful difference to somewhere like Glastonbury is that you can walk between the 2 biggest stages in 5 mins, and they stagger the set times with some but minimal overlap - so it's pretty easy to see most of the the big sets as long as you're not fussed about getting near the front.

Last year it got hard to get in the big top at night but I think they were trying to control numbers due to covid; once inside there was plenty of room on the right hand side of the tent (the other side to the entrances. I don't remember this being an issue at previous editions though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Last year it got hard to get in the big top at night but I think they were trying to control numbers due to covid; once inside there was plenty of room on the right hand side of the tent (the other side to the entrances. I don't remember this being an issue at previous editions though.

Good info, thanks! So is the big top not wide open on all sides for people to enter? Did they have some kind of system?

On 4/17/2022 at 1:01 PM, gregory said:

Good info, thanks! So is the big top not wide open on all sides for people to enter? Did they have some kind of system?

File:Isle of Wight Festival 2012 Big Top Arena 2.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

This is a pretty decent picture to explain it. You can get in the side in the picture and the back of the tent freely during the day, but at least in the evenings last year they used the points between those barriers in the picture and a 1 way system in the side and out the back to make sure the tent was not overcrowded. When that happens you tend to get a big crowd outside the tent where you can still see the stage and the sound isn't as good. 

There is no entry/exit from the long side furthest away from the photo, the little space behind there might be a backstage compound I think? And the short end to the right of the picture is the stage. 

Just for reference if you walk past this left you get to a big fair ground and eventually the camping, and to the right is the Cirque de la Quirk and main stage. The tent is the wrong orientation in the map below, but the photo would'ver been taken from where the 'Strawberry Fields' writing is.

Isle-of-WIght-Map-2019.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

There is no entry/exit from the long side furthest away from the photo, the little space behind there might be a backstage compound I think?

The Eastern side of the tent is constrained by one of the primary Service Roads so needs to remain restricted access for that reason. Beyond that is the School Next Door.

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

File:Isle of Wight Festival 2012 Big Top Arena 2.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

This is a pretty decent picture to explain it. You can get in the side in the picture and the back of the tent freely during the day, but at least in the evenings last year they used the points between those barriers in the picture and a 1 way system in the side and out the back to make sure the tent was not overcrowded. When that happens you tend to get a big crowd outside the tent where you can still see the stage and the sound isn't as good. 

Thanks for the detailed reply. 🙂 

So pre-COVID maybe they didn't count people in and out?

I have a few other random questions if anyone can answer..

• Aside from Main and the Big Top, what other live music stages are there? Is the "Hard Rock Cafe" one still going?
  • On Thursday night aside from the Big Top, is there stuff to do? Don't really fancy Happy Mondays..
  • What is the mud situation usually like?
  • Does it get chilly in the evenings?

Any other general advice appreciated! Thanks

13 minutes ago, gregory said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. 🙂 

So pre-COVID maybe they didn't count people in and out?

Not that I can remember, but it's possible that I wasn't paying much attention by the time they were.

Also what I meant to say about the Big Top is that there is always more space down the right hand side of the tent as you look at the stage (the side opposite the entrances and the photographer above)

11 minutes ago, gregory said:

I have a few other random questions if anyone can answer..

• Aside from Main and the Big Top, what other live music stages are there? Is the "Hard Rock Cafe" one still going?
  • On Thursday night aside from the Big Top, is there stuff to do? Don't really fancy Happy Mondays..
  • What is the mud situation usually like?
  • Does it get chilly in the evenings?

Any other general advice appreciated! Thanks

Yes, HRC was there last year, there's also the Cirque de la Quirk that has DJs, and alternative performances like fire dancers etc that can be quite the spectacle, especially after dark.

There are a couple of tents nearer the campsites that are normally banging on Thursday, Platform one is for up and coming bands and Electric Love is an 80's themed tent full of fun with normally a huge mix of great cover bands on. There is also Hipshaker that has good DJs on too. Here is last years clashfinder for an idea of the programmes for the small stages

https://clashfinder.com/s/iow2021/

I'm hoping we get a bit more of the line up soon but I don't honestly remember if they normally leave it late to do so.

Mud - normally the sight holds up quite well. There has been at least one year where it got muddy but it rained for days on end. Nothing like the muddy years at Glastonbury though. Unless the forecast is horrific I'll just take walking boots and wouldn't bother with wellys but that is just my preference I suppose.

Evenings can get a bit chilly but nothing a decent jumper/few layers/beer jacket and dancing can't mitigate. I guess this is personal too and completely depends on what sort of June we are having. 

• Upvote 1

Do you think we can expect a few more names for the Main / Big Top? Seems like a few are missing per day as per previous clashfinders? Any guesses who? 

The fact that they made an announcement just to name Chinchilla, Nina Nesbitt, Max and Morgan Wade last time doesn't fill me with hope. 

Using last years clashfinder as a guide we currently have the following portion of the line up (amount of bands playing each day and stage could change though):

Thurs

Big Top 4/4

Fri

Main 5/6

Big Top 5/7

Sat

Main 8/9

Big Top 7/9

Sun 

Main 8/10

Big Top 8/8

So basically there might be 1/2 names per day for the 2 biggest stages. Realistically the names could be anywhere from stage openers to sub headliners in a few cases so hard to gauge what size they will be.  Would be nice to see some one of note somewhat filling the Lionel Richie hole.

And obv there is the smaller stages to be added too which have provided good entertainment for me in the past but not many recognisable names other than cover bands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy101 said:

Is that the River Stage? Maybe Hard Rock just no longer sponsor it.

So it is; https://www.isleofwight.com/isle-of-wight-festival-2021-an-interview-with-john-giddings/

Elsewhere in the interview: “When Jay Z played, and Kanye West walked on with him – I didn’t think the audience could get any higher, but it kind of lifted. I was stood next to Beyonce. It wasn’t a bad night.” (laughs)"

This is painful, given 2022 = Kasabian - the front man and Lewis Capaldi..

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, retrokev said:

the rifles are playing the riverstage ,which is pretty cool

Is there a line up for that stage yet? Or was it a self confirm? 

In the past I've noticed they tend to have a few bigger than expected acts.

We're getting fairly close to the wire for any additions to the main stages too. 

2 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Is there a line up for that stage yet? Or was it a self confirm? 

In the past I've noticed they tend to have a few bigger than expected acts.

We're getting fairly close to the wire for any additions to the main stages too. 

They have been announcing stuff at 10am every day this week, so guess River Stage will come Thur/Fri. Australian band Germein will be added too I think  

Today was this (don’t know a single act, but Don’t Problem sound good);

9FF32486-08F5-4C4C-B3DD-3F7AE4C87FDF.thumb.jpeg.f2b63e59d540f478fb4cc23a2d01bfc4.jpeg

• Upvote 1