Isle of Wight 2022

Samba123

5 hours ago, Neon said:

I hope they continue as with this year allowing drinks to be taken into the arena from the co or wherever. It’s no brainer really.

While the policy did change a couple times, I don't think that brining alcohol in to the arena was ever officially sanctioned - I worked on that checkpoint (entrance to Electric Ladyland from campsites/coop), and by about Friday mid-afternoon the official policy had roughly become "no alcohol past this point unless you're camping in Pink Moon / Harvest Moon / Podpads" - however in order to keep things moving on what was a fairly unsuitable and improvised location for a checkpoint, security were only really stopping the obvious (ie visible) ones on the Friday, and by the end of the weekend had largely given up even on that.

I believe, but am far from certain on this, that there had been a plan to have a more stringent checkpoint further down (going in to Penny Lane), but that it didn't happen for whatever reason. To be blunt about it, I'm pretty sure that you'll have stricter checks back next year.

42 minutes ago, incident said:

I worked on that checkpoint (entrance to Electric Ladyland from campsites/coop)

Ah maybe I seen/spoke to you, I was running the gate/one way system at Gate A4 and popped down there a few times as security went AWOL at various points, mainly in the mornings! 

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Ah maybe I seen/spoke to you, I was running the gate/one way system at Gate A4 and popped down there a few times as security went AWOL at various points, mainly in the mornings! 

That's definitely quite possible, as what I was specifically thinking about when I said unsuitable location was all the fun we had with vehicle traffic and trying to convince people that they didn't want to get run over - if any backlog was created at the checkpoint, it pretty much guaranteed that people would be stopped blocking what turned out to be a pretty busy junction - what with both the trakway and the road proper each crossing the path a few metres apart.

53 minutes ago, incident said:

That's definitely quite possible, as what I was specifically thinking about when I said unsuitable location was all the fun we had with vehicle traffic and trying to convince people that they didn't want to get run over - if any backlog was created at the checkpoint, it pretty much guaranteed that people would be stopped blocking what turned out to be a pretty busy junction - what with both the trakway and the road proper each crossing the path a few metres apart.

The issue I had with that junction was that during the build week, we had one security company at that point and at either end of the road plus the corner, to control the traffic as Southern Water vehicles had priority. 
Come show days, and the security contractor had changed, no communication with the other 3 points on the road and obviously a shit load of pedestrians. 
And as the security contractor had staff go AWOL or not even turn up, it was a nightmare and thankfully there was a few screwed on Oxfam bodies to help out there, and a spoke to a few of them about it and the issue with people wandering up the road to Fairlee Road too! 

4 hours ago, incident said:

While the policy did change a couple times, I don't think that brining alcohol in to the arena was ever officially sanctioned - I worked on that checkpoint (entrance to Electric Ladyland from campsites/coop), and by about Friday mid-afternoon the official policy had roughly become "no alcohol past this point unless you're camping in Pink Moon / Harvest Moon / Podpads" - however in order to keep things moving on what was a fairly unsuitable and improvised location for a checkpoint, security were only really stopping the obvious (ie visible) ones on the Friday, and by the end of the weekend had largely given up even on that.

I believe, but am far from certain on this, that there had been a plan to have a more stringent checkpoint further down (going in to Penny Lane), but that it didn't happen for whatever reason. To be blunt about it, I'm pretty sure that you'll have stricter checks back next year.

Surely this lost them a considerable amount of money, honestly for me having the co-op is good enough. Not sure how I did festivals without it, its just so convenient.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Surely this lost them a considerable amount of money, honestly for me having the co-op is good enough. Not sure how I did festivals without it, its just so convenient.

I've pulled out the staff map, and it definitely shows the Arena Checkpoint (which presumably would have been a more substantial / less improvised one) as supposed to be located near the entrance to Penny Lane, with Electric Ladyland being part of the campsite/co-op area.

I don't have a clue why it was different in reality, and yeah I have to assume the take at the bars was down as a direct result*. My best guess would be either Staffing or Infrastructure availability, or some combination of those - both of which many festivals suffered problems with this year and as Paul alludes to, IOW was short of staff numbers in a few areas including with at least one of the security companies.

*though I will say, the Belgian Cherry Beer they sold at the Kashmir Cafe is possibly the best beer I've ever had on a Festival site, and as a direct result my personal alcohol spend was the highest it's been at any festival for several years - if I can't find something I like, and I often can't, I'll usually just stay sober rather than drink the likes of Carlsberg. The other bars were unimpressive though.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 6:41 PM, Maximousmillian said:

Is the full lineup out now, or is there still a few more acts to announce?

Judging by last year's line up we have the following amount announced:

Thurs

Big Top 3/4

Fri

Main 5/6

Big Top 4/7

Sat

Main 6/9

Big Top 6/9

Sun

Main 7/10

Big Top 6/8

So more names likely for both big stages on all days (number of acts could change but unlikely to be by a lot).

And there is a number of smaller stages to announce but there are less likely to be recognisable names on those

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posted on February 01, 2022

Unfortunately, Lionel Richie will no longer be playing at cinch presents the Isle of Wight Festival 2022. Watch this space for more info soon. We can't wait to see you all this summer!

Please see below:

Lionel Richie has confirmed that he will be cancelling his 2022 ‘Hello’ summer tour dates.

“As Covid and its variants continue to impact the world, I have decided to hold off on my European tour this summer. The most important thing to me is the health of my fans, band and crew. I hope you all understand and I hope to see you very soon when we can all gather safely.” 

3 hours ago, Samba123 said:

Unfortunately, Lionel Richie will no longer be playing at cinch presents the Isle of Wight Festival 2022. Watch this space for more info soon. We can't wait to see you all this summer!

Please see below:

Lionel Richie has confirmed that he will be cancelling his 2022 ‘Hello’ summer tour dates.

“As Covid and its variants continue to impact the world, I have decided to hold off on my European tour this summer. The most important thing to me is the health of my fans, band and crew. I hope you all understand and I hope to see you very soon when we can all gather safely.” 

Think Lewis and nile will be joint and someone under ,but would like 2dcc  to take over

7 hours ago, Samba123 said:

Please see below:

Likely replacements?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess that is a replacement and having a usual Subheadliner -> Headliner set up than the co-headliner structure which is basically the same thing with added font size and marketing 😅

Apparently a few festivals are struggling with international headline sized acts so it could be more challenging than ever to find a similar sized replacement at short notice than a 'normal' year

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 8:10 PM, Nuthugger said:

Never been to this fest but deffo interested in ticking it off the list. How is it compared to say Glasto?

Layout wise: It's a lot smaller, and so much easier to navigate. Far fewer stages (Main Stage is outdoor, Big Top seems about the size of the acoustic tent at Glasto maybe? then getting down to fairly small venues both outdoor and in tents that still have some great stuff on). It's much more comparable to Reading/V/Bestival in size. I didn't notice anything bad about the sound on the main stage last year and there is normally plenty of room to get a decent view if you want one.

Main Stage normally closes at midnight (earlier on Sunday) and Big top normally has an act on after that. There are DJs on the smaller venues until 1ish. It might also be worth noting that the music doesn't start until later on the Thurs/Friday as part of the site is on a school playing fields so they wait until the kids are out of earshot. 

The campsites and arenas are adjoining but you have to go through security to get to the music. In previous years they haven't allowed alcohol through these but for one reason or another this wasn't the case last year. I wouldn't count on that happening again but would be a brucey bonus if so as ice cold cans/slabs of beer/cider were very reasonable.

I'd say it's more commercial but not to a point where it detracts from the experience, with sponsorships and branded areas (like Old Mout Cider, Aperol Spritz) and Co ops which all have their uses. I wouldn't say it was anywhere near like Reading (or the 'Carling Weekend') used to be when I used to go there though. There are also loads of fairground type rides dotted about and in the big areas between campsite and arena with the main stages which Glastonbury doesn't have. Not my thing to go on but I think it really helps the atmosphere when walking in.

Crowd wise, the capacity is a lot smaller, but it's not a small festival. Good mix in demographics with a lot of families, not many teens/young adult groups getting completely wrecked but still lively. Average age is possibly a bit older than most festivals but enough of all ages that no one looks out of place.

Very friendly vibes I find, decent food and drink options (but nothing like G). Staff seem to be good when I've had to interact with them but I may have been wearing rose tinted glasses last year because everyone, staff or punter, just seemed so happy to be at a festival.

It's fairly easy to get to once over the Solent if not driving, they have loads of buses waiting to take you off to the festival site. There is added cost in the travel crossing but the ticket always seems good value to me so I see it as cancelling each other out. 

I love Glastonbury but have a lot of time for IOW and will be doing both this year, I just wish there was a few weeks between them.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Layout wise: It's a lot smaller, and so much easier to navigate. Far fewer stages (Main Stage is outdoor, Big Top seems about the size of the acoustic tent at Glasto maybe? then getting down to fairly small venues both outdoor and in tents that still have some great stuff on). It's much more comparable to Reading/V/Bestival in size. I didn't notice anything bad about the sound on the main stage last year and there is normally plenty of room to get a decent view if you want one.

Main Stage normally closes at midnight (earlier on Sunday) and Big top normally has an act on after that. There are DJs on the smaller venues until 1ish. It might also be worth noting that the music doesn't start until later on the Thurs/Friday as part of the site is on a school playing fields so they wait until the kids are out of earshot. 

The campsites and arenas are adjoining but you have to go through security to get to the music. In previous years they haven't allowed alcohol through these but for one reason or another this wasn't the case last year. I wouldn't count on that happening again but would be a brucey bonus if so as ice cold cans/slabs of beer/cider were very reasonable.

I'd say it's more commercial but not to a point where it detracts from the experience, with sponsorships and branded areas (like Old Mout Cider, Aperol Spritz) and Co ops which all have their uses. I wouldn't say it was anywhere near like Reading (or the 'Carling Weekend') used to be when I used to go there though. There are also loads of fairground type rides dotted about and in the big areas between campsite and arena with the main stages which Glastonbury doesn't have. Not my thing to go on but I think it really helps the atmosphere when walking in.

Crowd wise, the capacity is a lot smaller, but it's not a small festival. Good mix in demographics with a lot of families, not many teens/young adult groups getting completely wrecked but still lively. Average age is possibly a bit older than most festivals but enough of all ages that no one looks out of place.

Very friendly vibes I find, decent food and drink options (but nothing like G). Staff seem to be good when I've had to interact with them but I may have been wearing rose tinted glasses last year because everyone, staff or punter, just seemed so happy to be at a festival.

It's fairly easy to get to once over the Solent if not driving, they have loads of buses waiting to take you off to the festival site. There is added cost in the travel crossing but the ticket always seems good value to me so I see it as cancelling each other out. 

I love Glastonbury but have a lot of time for IOW and will be doing both this year, I just wish there was a few weeks between them.

I'd add to this: its smaller but its a very long site, the back of general camping to main stage is almost 30 minutes walk time

Alcohol wise i thought i heard they let alcohol into the arena for the first few days but by the end of the weekend it was strict again, i didn't go though so cannot confirm.

I agree that its very friendly, I really enjoyed it there and would definitely go back with the right lineup! Its very similar to Latitude size / atmosphere wise I think but with a less fresh booking policy i'd say

Edited by gfa