Jump to content

2021 - How was it for you ?


killyourtv
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

my review is here:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/endoftheroad/2021/review.shtml

 

if you have the time for what was a bit of a long worded piece this year, I'm rusty...

A great read, and you've now identified "The Bill" as the little snippet Anna Meredith worked into "Enter Sandman" (can't believe I'm writing this). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, riverlodge said:

I'm being lazy here and quoting from 'another location' posting. But the cross refs with other festivals might be of interest (at a really dull moment). And I'm definitely of the opinion that Dry Cleaning have leapt forward this summer so much and are right, right up there. The set I saw at Latitude was amazing, but the Big Top set was off the scale. Immense.

Here is my festival summer 'best of' list
Lots of subjectivity (the time and place and all that) as it should be, but this is what 'felt' good to me.

Latitude

Top 3: Dry Cleaning, Luke la Volpe, Vlure

Remainder of top ten (no order): Anna Meredith, Just Mustard, Goat Girl, Working Men’s Club [BitF might have 'words' with me that they aren't top 3 but hey ho..], CMAT, Black Honey, Los Bitchos
Seen and liked: Supergrass, Villagers, Goa Express, Snuts, Stephen Fretwell, Sinead O’Brien, Wet Leg, Stephen Fretwell, Self Esteem, Kyanos, Big Joanie
Seen and not bothered: Cool Greenhouse, Kawala, Sea Girls, Weird Milk, Tim Burgess
[note: did not see Sunday eve]


Green Man [this was almost impossible to cull]

Top 3: Lump, King Hannah, Lazarus Kane
Remainder of top ten (no order): Mogwai, Shame, Fontaines, Wet Leg, Lounge Society, Liz Lawrence, Goa Express
Seen and liked: PVA, Yard Act, Working Men’s Club, Hanya, Home Counties, Surfing Magazines, Nadine Shah, Egyptian Blue, Django, Django, Caribou, Katrin Finch/ Seckou Keita, Emma-Jean Thackray, Newdad, Duski, Crack Cloud, Panic Shack, Golden Dregs, Dream Wife,
Seen and not bothered: Lynks, Jockstrap, Nuha Ruby Ra, Boy Azooga (reluctantly), Billie Marten

EOTR [pretty tricky here too]

Top 3: Lazarus Kane, Dry Cleaning, Anna B Savage
Remainder of top ten (no order): John Grant, Anna B Savage/William Doyle/ Laurie (piano), Katy J (tipi set), Caroline, Jonny Greenwood, WH Lung, Squid
Seen and liked: Goa Express, Katy J, Sleep Eaters, Just Mustard, CMAT, Bdrmm, Arlo Parks, Lazarus Kane (piano), Anteloper, Anna Meredith, Broadside Hacks (piano), William Doyle, PVA, Crack Cloud, Yard Act
Seen and not bothered: nobody in this category

That's not a bad haul from chiefly UK / Ireland acts? Roll on 2022....

And what order would you put those festivals in and why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, noam c said:

First time at EOTR and first festival with the wife and kids. Have been to different festivals before and gave up on all except for Glastonbury (been 10 times)

How was it? A big wow for different reasons. First, hats off to the EOTR people for pulling off this event under the current conditions and making it seem like a normal world for a whole weekend. I haven’t felt like this in ages.

Then the actual event. Not only did it work out well, this was one of the best festival experiences I’ve had. Everything was in its right place. My wife, who swore to never go to a festival - loved it. The kids had the time of their life. I took advantage of the post euphoric festival high and with her permission snapped tickets for next year.

The music was awesome everywhere, I really liked the Sleaford Mods, Dry Cleaning, Billy Nomates, Warmduscher, Stereolab, Jane Weaver, Girl Band

weather was great, food was great but the overall atmosphere of the festival and the people was the most important thing. See you all next year!

If you haven't been to Green Man then there's a possibility you'd enjoy it just as much, if not more than EOTR.

There's LOADS more for kids to do there, the site is lovely, the music is on a par and the people are just as nice (loads go to both GM and EOTR)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, benali said:

If you haven't been to Green Man then there's a possibility you'd enjoy it just as much, if not more than EOTR.

There's LOADS more for kids to do there, the site is lovely, the music is on a par and the people are just as nice (loads go to both GM and EOTR)

Slightly off topic but has anyone stayed in camper van at GM and how does it compare to Eotr? I’ve heard it’s much more cramped and on a slope. been wanting to do GM for a while but that puts me off. That and the kids 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, benali said:

If you haven't been to Green Man then there's a possibility you'd enjoy it just as much, if not more than EOTR.

There's LOADS more for kids to do there, the site is lovely, the music is on a par and the people are just as nice (loads go to both GM and EOTR)

I ought to go to Green Man (and EOTR) next year

Interesting seeing Richard Dawson 5th on the bill on that line-up; I can't imagine a better headliner for EOTR this year (and I consider the Garden the main stage if I'm honest).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, juliadevitt said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone stayed in camper van at GM and how does it compare to Eotr? I’ve heard it’s much more cramped and on a slope. been wanting to do GM for a while but that puts me off. That and the kids 

I did campervan at GM this year for the first time. The site is much more cramped, the pitch spaces are much smaller and not marked out in the same way as they are at EOTR. It could have been an issue if you were wanting to leave on the Sunday with a long campervan.

Where I was parked this year was flat enough, no need for the levelling chocks. The field is at the top of a hill but it's no worse than the walk at EOTR.

In the post GM survey they had a question on using another campervan field further away with a shuttle bus. I've no idea if they will go down this route but it might free up some space.

It's not as good as CV at EOTR but I'll be booking a CV ticket for next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 5th and favourite yet.

The good - Little Simz, Caroline, Jonny Greenwood and Loraine James stood out as the best sets for me but I also thoroughly enjoyed Richard Dawson, Stereolab, Modern Woman, Anna Meredith, Jane Weaver, PVA, BCNR, Dry Cleaning and Girl Band. Spent more time this year just wondering around the wood and forest areas and it really is just so blissful down there. Food remains very good and beers also delicious and fairly reasonably priced. Far less wasps/hornets this year too so that's a plus.

The bad - toilets far and away the worst I've seen them at EOTR and the Garden stage was missing its usual foliage but we know the reason for that.

Best weekend of the year every year, not sure how I'm going to adjust back to Glastonbury after having been spoiled by a few EOTRs since my last visit but it is what it is.

Early birds secured for next year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, xxialac said:

EOTR and GM are both marvellous but EOTR edges it for me as a) there are just so many kids at GM b) it doesn't have the Garden Stage/forest/Piano stage area (although their main stage is slightly better) and c) I found the camping more cramped.

I've heard it said that for those of us who go to both EOTR and GM that your preference will be for whichever of the 2 you first went to (and thus fell in love with first). I went to EOTR first. I'm with all the points above. I also like the way pretty much all the food outlets are in one place at EOTR with the tables in the middle, meaning I can quickly check queue lengths for my possible options and then sitting down I enjoy the random conversations with people I join at a table or that join me; this seems to happen far more for me at EOTR.  That EOTR is significantly smaller helps too.  I'm sure I could easily argue the case the other way, particularly having done GM Settlers for the first time this year, but first love wins.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

I did campervan at GM this year for the first time. The site is much more cramped, the pitch spaces are much smaller and not marked out in the same way as they are at EOTR. It could have been an issue if you were wanting to leave on the Sunday with a long campervan.

Where I was parked this year was flat enough, no need for the levelling chocks. The field is at the top of a hill but it's no worse than the walk at EOTR.

In the post GM survey they had a question on using another campervan field further away with a shuttle bus. I've no idea if they will go down this route but it might free up some space.

It's not as good as CV at EOTR but I'll be booking a CV ticket for next year.

Thankyou. I love the camp life too much to give up a lovely,  large,  flat pitch at Eotr I think! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, killyourtv said:

I ought to go to Green Man (and EOTR) next year

Interesting seeing Richard Dawson 5th on the bill on that line-up; I can't imagine a better headliner for EOTR this year (and I consider the Garden the main stage if I'm honest).

Yes, you won't regret it. I also recommend going to GM for the settlers camp and camping for the full week if you can because it's just a great way to ease into the festival and means you are all ready and relaxed when the main arena area opens.

The Garden always was the main stage at EOTR before they expanded the festival (back in the good old days when it was all trees!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

EOTR and GM are both marvellous but EOTR edges it for me as a) there are just so many kids at GM b) it doesn't have the Garden Stage/forest/Piano stage area (although their main stage is slightly better) and c) I found the camping more cramped.

It's tough. I love the Rising Stage at GM and the Far Out is way better than the stuffy Big Top. The mountain backdrop is also something spectacular.

EOTR on the other hand has the Garden Stage which is my favourite festival stage anywhere and the wooded areas are so beautiful.

We really are blessed to have 2 incredible, independent festivals like them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you take your own drinks into the ‘arena’ at GM? I read that you can’t, but they never check anyway? The music at GM always looks great. I’ve always been to Glastonbury, the odd few others and now EOTR will be a regular after the last two years. Tickets booked again for next year. 

Edited by General Lee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, General Lee said:

Can you take your own drinks into the ‘arena’ at GM? I read that you can’t, but they never check anyway? The music at GM always looks great. I’ve always been to Glastonbury, the odd few others and now EOTR will be a regular after the last two years. Tickets booked again for next year. 

You’re not supposed to take drinks in but as long as it’s not visible as you enter they won’t check. 

Edited by SighMo
Edit.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, General Lee said:

Can you take your own drinks into the ‘arena’ at GM? I read that you can’t, but they never check anyway? The music at GM always looks great. I’ve always been to Glastonbury, the odd few others and now EOTR will be a regular after the last two years. Tickets booked again for next year. 

Yes you can take your own drinks in. There was one year when they made a vague attempt to stop people who were walking through drinking cans but it only lasted a few hours. 

The music is always great. There's more going on than EOTR as they have 5 stages plus pop up sets in the record shop and 3 of the stages run until about 3am. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, benali said:

Yes you can take your own drinks in. There was one year when they made a vague attempt to stop people who were walking through drinking cans but it only lasted a few hours. 

The music is always great. There's more going on than EOTR as they have 5 stages plus pop up sets in the record shop and 3 of the stages run until about 3am. 

Take your point about it running later on a couple of stages but one of those 5 stages is for unknown bands so not that exciting plus EOTR also has the piano stage so I dont think there’s any difference in terms of the quantity of music available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Take your point about it running later on a couple of stages but one of those 5 stages is for unknown bands so not that exciting plus EOTR also has the piano stage so I dont think there’s any difference in terms of the quantity of music available. 

Certainly no difference in quality of music available but can’t agree that the Rising Stage being not that exciting. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GM vs EOTR....

I agree with BitF, whichever grabs you first won't ever let you go. But the other gets you eventually so you want both!

Have now done x11 EOTRs since 2009 (and those saying Garden Stage is still the headline stage are spot on btw) and now x3 GMs. I wouldn't miss EOTR for all the world, something about heading through the ancient lands at end of harvest round Salisbury to my special place. 

It also feels as if, maybe, the idea that it was a bit competitive between the two has diminished a bit? Simon Taffe's interview on how hard it was to put on EOTR through COVID mentions just how closely the (truly) indie festivals worked together through the pandemic, and he mentions notably working with GM. 

So actually, don't they complement each other rather beautifully?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GM pluses and minuses [my view,]

Mountain Stage GM: glorious amphitheatre setting, terracing making it very 'casual user friendly'. Great acoustics. Loads of adjacent facilities. 10/10

Woods EOTR: actually not a bad long distance view, great bar, easy access. 7/10

Far Out GM: great location, good bar, a good walk though, sonically decent 7/10

Garden stage EOTR: one of the most beautiful places on earth (imo), good slope, tree beauty and follies 10/10

Walled Garden: Cider bar! Lovely setting, lots of busy food outlets and very central. Generally good sound, -1 for access 8/10

Big Top EOTR: effing sweaty pit, brilliant sonics, right in the middle and real ale bar. elephant disco ball! -1 for sweatiness. 7/10

Rising GM: this place really is the nuts. Slightly secret, wonderfully 'MC'd', intense but fabulously curated. Did me and BitF really just stand and chat with Dry Cleaning here only 3 years ago? This place is the future, now. -1 for no bar. 9/10

Tipi EOTR: okay, this gets +2 simply because of the secret sets. It used to be ridiculously wonderful, but is edging towards wedding venue now. So base score 6/10 but secret sets +> 8/10 

I'm supposed to be ace at maths but can't be arsed adding up. Chai Wallahs and piano stage to consider.

End analysis: we are blessed here 🙂

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always fancied GM but, because it's so close to EOTR, it's always been one or the other for me. I fell in love with EOTR in 2007, so it's an easy choice to make & I've been back every year since & that shows no sign of ending any time soon.

It's a shame GM isn't 2 or 3 weeks earlier, then I might do both.

Edited by Punksnotdead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, benali said:

If you haven't been to Green Man then there's a possibility you'd enjoy it just as much, if not more than EOTR.

There's LOADS more for kids to do there, the site is lovely, the music is on a par and the people are just as nice (loads go to both GM and EOTR)

Thank you for the Green Man tip, I will check it out. 
And thanks to all who replied and added info!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SighMo said:

Certainly no difference in quality of music available but can’t agree that the Rising Stage being not that exciting. 

I was referring to Chai Wallahs.

Prominent bands play at:

EOTR: Woods, Garden, Big Top, Tipi

GM: Mountain, Far Out, Walled Garden, Rising.

i.e. 4 main stages worth visiting for each.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love GM but EOTR just edges it.

The reasons:

- EOTR (for us) always knocks it out of the park with the lineup. GM when it’s good is excellent but sometimes for us is a little weaker

- EOTR is about half the size and it’s easier to get away from people if you need to

- GM has a lot more kids which isn’t a problem until you dodge the Diablo flying past your head for the 15th time 😁

- when it rains at GM does it rain!

- EOTR has more to do in the mornings - we’re burn candles at both ends people and love the literature talk before the music starts. 

- EOTR big top - most years I prefer the “middle of the night sweaty feel” of the big tool ( even if it’s midday)

- EOTR is about 2 hours drive each way nearer.

However GM has a built in beer festival and I would say it’s by far the friendliest crowd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...