2021 - How was it for you ?

killyourtv

3 minutes ago, Vamagus said:

We love GM but EOTR just edges it.

The reasons:

- EOTR (for us) always knocks it out of the park with the lineup. GM when it’s good is excellent but sometimes for us is a little weaker

- EOTR is about half the size and it’s easier to get away from people if you need to

- GM has a lot more kids which isn’t a problem until you dodge the Diablo flying past your head for the 15th time 😁

- when it rains at GM does it rain!

- EOTR has more to do in the mornings - we’re burn candles at both ends people and love the literature talk before the music starts. 

- EOTR big top - most years I prefer the “middle of the night sweaty feel” of the big tool ( even if it’s midday)

- EOTR is about 2 hours drive each way nearer.

However GM has a built in beer festival and I would say it’s by far the friendliest crowd.

I prefer the “middle of the night sweaty feel” of the big tool”

Sharing too much there…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Is it easy to get off site at Green Man to visit Crickhowell or walk along the Usk to pubs further afield ? That would be a GM plus for me.

We make a Dorset/Wilts pub visiting holiday out of EOTR, bit disappointed we were asked not to nip off site so couldn't make annual 20 minute pilgrimage to the Museum in Farnham this year.

Yes you can walk offsite at GM

You can get along the Usk into Crickhowell quite easily. 

Haven’t done it but I reckon you could get up to Tretower too.

People who’ve stayed at Settlers would have a better idea as I know a bunch of them have gone off walking in the hills 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I've always fancied GM but, because it's so close to EOTR, it's always been one or the other for me. I fell in love with EOTR in 2007, so it's an easy choice to make & I've been back every year since & that shows no sign of ending any time soon.

It's a shame GM isn't 2 or 3 weeks earlier, then I might do both.

This

2 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Much as I love Green Man and Glastonbury, if I was only allowed to do 1 festival a year it would be EOTR.

Yup. Spot on. I've already got a couple rolled over to next year and have just bought tix for EotR but I'm seriously thinking of binning Glastonbury as I just can't be arsed any more with lots of aspects of it. EotR is my idea of the perfect festival.

Edited by Copperface

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Yup. Spot on. I've already got a couple rolled over to next year and have just bought tix for EotR but I'm seriously thinking of binning Glastonbury as I just can't be arsed any more with lots of aspects of it. EotR is my idea of the perfect festival.

I think I decided last weekend that my Glastonbury ticket is going back in the pot. It's with a heavy heart, but I'm struggling with mobility issues. I managed at EOTR, but it was far from a pain free weekend. Hobbling round a site that's at least 10 times bigger than Larmer Tree doesn't seem like much fun! 

All being well, I'll definitely be back at EOTR though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copperface said:

I'm definitely coming round to the way of thinking too. Glastonbury absolutely wipes me out. It's a wonderful thing, but it's pure hardcore. Not sure how many of them I've got left in me

13 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I'm definitely coming round to the way of thinking too. Glastonbury absolutely wipes me out. It's a wonderful thing, but it's pure hardcore. Not sure how many of them I've got left in me

I'd already planned on the 50th anniversary being my last one anyway. Now that it's no longer really the anniversary, I feel less bothered to be honest!

On 9/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, juliadevitt said:

As we’ve gone off topic anyway; has anyone been to Rockaway Beach Bognor? We’ve decided we couldn’t wait until next Spring for a festival and this is at Butlins in January (Covid not withstanding).

I will get to see Pirtidge Radio and Wu-Lu again !

It's a load of fun, I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. See you there.

• Upvote 1

Got back from the festival to walk into a real viper's nest at work so have barely had a second to process my thoughts.

First and foremost, as I said before, being back at a festival, in the sunshine, was just so fulfilling. Any time I got even mildly irked I just reminded myself how fortunate I was to be here.

All those plans and clashfinders go out the window once you're there. When finally presented with hot weather and my lethargic legs, combined with essentially no phone reception meaning I'd never see my friends again, meant we focused on seeing a few bands in full. Mooching, having a drink, having a wander, sitting down, eating. Ah it was bliss. If you compared what I planned to see with what I saw they'd be quite far apart but I much preferred the experience I had.

Hot Chip. I warned ya. Didn't I warn ya Skinner? For my first day back at a festival, seeing one of my all timers play the goddamn hits, like that, finishing with Bruce. I could cry. We're back baby.

We built our Saturday around The Comet is Coming. They delivered. A pulverising experience that made me feel I'd transcended space and time. Epic.

Little Simz. Special. She reached out. We reached back. A real symbiosis tween artist and audience that made an event. We sacked off the headliners to go and mess about cos nothing would touch that.

Variety. I met a friend on Sunday whose Saturday had been v traditional EOTR. We're seen Comet, Romare and Auntie Flo's DJ set. Ravin'. What a real delight to have some beats in the gardens.

Tons of stuff that made me smile, and dance - bdrmm, WH Lung, All We Are. Sleaford Mods - wow, couldn't really have them, but I found it a mesmerising tour de force of performance art. Joe Goddard at the disco ship. Garrett Millerick making me laugh back to health on Sunday morning

A rare misstep - watching Blair Witch at 1am. Not much sleep had that night.

The bad - no phone reception, meant all my followers on the Gram felt left out. More pertinently created a few issues for the traders who i felt bad for. Bit of a boo boo having the bars go down on Sunday morning.

Toilets. Nothing to be done, but they were awful and made the weekend slightly less pleasant.

No momos 😞

But really, that's me being a dick.

They put on an amazing spectacle. It was lush, it was beautiful, it made me feel alive. Thank you to everyone who got it going. And to all the attendees, people from all across the gamut of human life, bound together by a deep love of music. You brought it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, juliadevitt said:

Just had a quick look at Greenman tickets and their early birds and tier one have sold out already. Surprisingly (for me) the camper van pitches had also.

If we ever do decide to go, we’d certainly have to be quick to buy tickets!

Same here; set the alarm, followed their Twitter, then still forgot and now can't be bothered with EOTR a fortnight later (and my ears still recovering from this year nearly a fortnight on).

18 hours ago, killyourtv said:

Same here; set the alarm, followed their Twitter, then still forgot and now can't be bothered with EOTR a fortnight later (and my ears still recovering from this year nearly a fortnight on).

Always tempted but never actually book any GM tickets. Is it because in any YouTube videos I view everyone is always wearing wellies? The headliner they've announced is, well, underwhelming: been there, done that. Again.

• Like 1

Been back in the office a couple of days now so inevitably in the "this time, two weeks ago, I was hoovering the t-shirts, polishing the tent, brillo-padding the tent pegs, etc." mind frame.

So, some random thoughts.

I had misgivings about quiet camping being moved to where it was. I was in relatively early on Thursday and ended up putting the tent up at the top of the hill by the hedge: equivalent to where I normally went in previous years in the field above. And actually, it was fine: weather helped but nice views, genuinely quiet, the main minuses being lack of standpipes (those water points they provided were great if you'd brought your patio slabs for a clean) and the toilets (didn't seem to get re-stocked with toilet paper till Sunday evening). Next year I'd think about camping along the top hedge close to wrist band exchange but that would mean relying on the toilets by the main track in, which is probably a no-no.

Food: because we'd missed a year, two years price increases in one made food seem comparatively expensive, being largely in the £9-10 range. On what I tested, the pizzas were rubbish (tasteless and overpriced); the stir-fry place was solid and reliable; roaming rotisserie provide a rollicking sunday lunch (and always treat my brussels sprouts enquiry with unnecessary gravity); Lola's fish and chips were fine if not as good as Seacow (I'd thought they must be rubbish as for the first few days no-one was buying); the Indonesian curry place was a good addition apart from those radioactive carrots; and the Tea Stop still does the best egg-and-bacon sandwiches and they remember my name (or pretend to) but so they should after 12 years.

Bars: no complaints, though all the beers pretty much tasted the same to me - that's not an official complaint.

Shopping: Stranger Than Paradise were fine, but didn't seem to bring the selection or quantity that Rough Trade provided. Their t-shirts are much nicer though. I missed the bargain book shop guy - always came away with some good stuff from him.

Music: I am firmly of the opinion that if I had stuck to my original and sketchy clashfinder scheme, then everyone would have had a more overwhelming musical experience, but since it didn't necessarily factor in food, drink, ice creams or exhaustion, concessions had to be made. So: Stereolab were very good but not great; Hen Ogledd were very good, but didn't do Sky Burial and Richard Dawson's bass ended up swamping everything; Anna Meredith was exuberance personified; and Shirley Collins was a treat of an experience. I didn't think Johnny Greenwood's film music worked as a stand-alone experience outside the context of the films he scored. I thought Bait with live music added an extra emotional nuance, without any sense of the film being overwhelmed - I'd seen Bait twice before on the big screen. I struggle to share the enthusiasm for Black Country, New Road: aside from the music, the lyrics seem to have been supplied by a pretentious 14 year old self-proclaimed poet - I tend not to become over-aware of lyrics, unless they're really good or, as in this case, really bad. A great finish though, with a 1-2-3 of Dry Cleaning, Richard Dawson and Darren Hayman. Content to not bother with the late night Tipi stuff, once I'd found out who it was. Oh, and the sound of the festival that stuck in my head: Katy J Pearson.

I normally leave after the main music finishes on Sunday evening, but chose to stay over this year: the packing-up on Monday is usually so miserable. This time it wasn't: sunny, leisurely and people not sullen but sharing how good it was to be back. And, boy oh boy, it really had been.     

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

I missed the bargain book shop guy - always came away with some good stuff from him.

I agree with this, although the copies of Gravity's Rainbow and The Great Shark Hunt that have been sitting on my shelves for years probably wouldn't agree. Curse you drunken book buying!

43 minutes ago, shoebox said:

I agree with this, although the copies of Gravity's Rainbow and The Great Shark Hunt that have been sitting on my shelves for years probably wouldn't agree. Curse you drunken book buying!

Drunken book reading may help with Gravity ‘s Rainbow 🤣

On 9/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, juliadevitt said:

As we’ve gone off topic anyway; has anyone been to Rockaway Beach Bognor? We’ve decided we couldn’t wait until next Spring for a festival and this is at Butlins in January (Covid not withstanding).

I will get to see Pirtidge Radio and Wu-Lu again !

Hi, @juliadevittyes. Been to them all except the first. Would strongly recommend it. Good mix of artists, no music clashes (usually) and a real bed each night. Friendly crowd and a real boost to dreary January. Only slight downside is the captive audience food and drink prices but a minor gripe and balanced by the well priced tickets anyway. 

3 hours ago, ciderbus said:

Hi, @juliadevittyes. Been to them all except the first. Would strongly recommend it. Good mix of artists, no music clashes (usually) and a real bed each night. Friendly crowd and a real boost to dreary January. Only slight downside is the captive audience food and drink prices but a minor gripe and balanced by the well priced tickets anyway. 

Thank you.  I have gone for a meal package. 
It will be a real treat to have s proper hotel bed.

As you say, it will be just what I need in the middle of the winter and not bad value - see you there!

• Thanks 1