2021 - How was it for you ?

killyourtv

Tired of seeing 2020 in the title so started a new thread about the triumphant return.

My 9th since 2011, and in many ways my favourite, though you never forget your first time entering the garden do you ?  I camped alone as Mrs KYTV was a bit bored of "confessional American females" and she kindly stayed in Salisbury, doing drop off/pick off duties, bless her. She was surprised I managed to put my own tent up. I'm only 56.

HIGHS

The music was wonderful, my best year for consistency.  Didn't hear a set I didn't enjoy, and can honestly say I'd pay to see any of the 30 odd artists I saw again, assuming they'll want to play Gorilla or Brudenell or Lexington for a tenner next month.

The Katy J Pearson set blew me away, and that last song by Anna B Savage brought a few tears, but as usual it was Jane Weaver's "I Need A Connection" that moved me most.

Loads of new personal discoveries, most shamingly Porridge Radio. Never judge a band by its name.

The breadth of musical style was astonishing. Moving from Shirley Collins to Little Simz to Dry Cleaning to Richard Dawson in an evening was as good as it gets.

Sound quality was really good, once you found your own sweet spot. Darren Hayman from the side of the Tipi was as good as it got, or perhaps the cider did that.

Lack of chattering, or perhaps I notice it less. Crowds down on Talking Heads late at night were reverential.

I dropped in on some high quality early afternoon comedy and laughed a lot.  Not much makes me laugh.

Enjoyed all the food, particularly the Lebanese Mezze, breakfast cheese toasties vegan cauliflower bites and dosas. As Chubby noted so eloquently, not cheap.

Oh, and the weather.  Never mind the best EOTR, the best 4 days of the year for those of us for whom 20 is plenty.

But mainly, lovely people, including the bloke from Bristol who chatted to me before the Penelope Isles set. Talking to people is good.

LOWS

Missed the Americans and Antipodeans, particularly the confessional American females.

The toilets.  I've always wondered why I carry half a roll of toilet paper round and now I know.

William Doyle's set was beset by technical problems, which was a shame because the 20 minutes we heard were really great.

And that's it.

A triumph, and the look of sheer joy on the face of artist after artist at the reception they were getting was wonderful to see.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On Thursday I had misgivings as the queues for food were massive and the bogs were shitholes, as it were, but it all improved after that. Lucky for us males that there were plenty of urinals.

we only go for the music, not the partying so this time we stayed in an Airbnb about a ten minute drive away, through some narrow and quite hairy country lanes. It worked for us, and we’ll be doing it again next year.

no bands blew me away as the likes of Eliot Brood, Duke and the King, The Growlers, Phosphorescent, Low Anthem and dozens of others have in the past……but I was still spoilt for choice on who to see and saw some great and greatly enjoyable sets. Sunday was exceptional on every stage, but we stuck mostly to the garden.

Being old, with an underlying condition, we didn’t brave the tents, although sat outside the Big Top with a beer and loved hearing if not seeing All We Are and WH Lung.

apart from a largeish group of middle aged tossers that congregated on left side of Garden, crowds seemed more like the old days in showing respect to the artists and fellow attendees by keeping quiet.

only downside was I cracked my knee very hard an a bollard on an unlit and crowded path. Can’t bend the bastard now.

All in all great festie, one of the best given the circumstances and much better than I thought it was going to be without the Americans, Canadians Australians and Africans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat_Buddha said:

only downside was I cracked my knee very hard an a bollard on an unlit and crowded path. Can’t bend the bastard now.

All in all great festie, one of the best given the circumstances and much better than I thought it was going to be without the Americans, Canadians Australians and Africans.

Oh, forgot the Canadians.  Missed them.

Hope your knee heels soon.

3rd EOTR and possibly my favourite, I just had the most brilliant time.

Was everything on site perfect - No, it was never going to be. Quite how they manged to put on a festival that good at such short notice amazes me - the Garden Stage didn't turn up until Thursday evening and they had to erect it overnight, yet it was ready to go at 12:00 Friday (albeit undecorated) - astonishing.

I missed some sets I wanted to see just through chatting with friends and missed others because of clashes, but it didn't matter and I thoroughly enjoyed every set I saw, and clearly all the artists were enjoying themselves, but then they always seem to at EOTR.

• Upvote 1

4th time for me, had a brilliant time again. Although I thought the line up was a little bit 'light' going in (for obvious reasons), I managed to see loads of brilliant stuff. Did a top 10 on the train on the way home (no particular order):

CMAT, Hot Chip, Melin Melyn, Kikagaku Moyo, Dry Cleaning, Arlo Parks, Pan Amsterdam, Romare, Little Simz, Richard Dawson.

Little Simz -> Dry Cleaning -> Richard Dawson on Sunday night was my favourite three act combo I've ever seen at a festival - all three were amazing and a great way to round off the weekend.

Food and drink were great as usual, actually much preferred the Two Tribes beers to Beavertown and had some lovely pints from the real ale bar.

The nice weather really topped it off!

Will almost certainly be back next year, although am also thinking of trying Green Man for the first time and not sure I can afford both!

Been every year bar one (inconsiderate mate's wedding...) since 2009 and this was right up there.

Facilities definitely were tricky but didn't make a difference, it was simply wonderful. And just like at Green Man listing just a top ten bands of my weekend seems faintly ludicrous. What I also love is that people that seem to have had an almost completely alternative festival listening to me also feel the same.

I love EOTR, almost beyond the words that I can put to it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, swashbubbler said:

Canadians Crack Cloud were there and were magnificent 

Loved Crack Cloud - my back was a rather sore by then from too much standing / walking / dancing so enjoyed it lying flat next to a hedge on that hard mesh they have to protect the grass, staring at the blue sky with foot tapping! Slightly surreal experience and back was sorted after 🙂

Edited by Drutt

3 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

3rd EOTR and possibly my favourite, I just had the most brilliant time.

Was everything on site perfect - No, it was never going to be. Quite how they manged to put on a festival that good at such short notice amazes me - the Garden Stage didn't turn up until Thursday evening and they had to erect it overnight, yet it was ready to go at 12:00 Friday (albeit undecorated) - astonishing.

I missed some sets I wanted to see just through chatting with friends and missed others because of clashes, but it didn't matter and I thoroughly enjoyed every set I saw, and clearly all the artists were enjoying themselves, but then they always seem to at EOTR.

That explains the under-dressed garden stage. That must have been stressful for them 

Obviously a bit patchy this year compared to most, with very few US bands and plenty of last minute replacements. We also restricted ourselves to the outdoor stages. The special moment was Willy Tea Taylor on the Talking Heads stage, with great stories and a beautiful intimate setting. Other highlights included Kikagaku Moyo and Jane Weaver, with a brilliant atmosphere at the Garden Stage. The lowlight was Damon Albarn. I should have known better, I've seen him solo before - incredibly dull. Rumours also went around that Modern Woman would be something good, but I think they could possibly be even worse than BCNR, and that's going some. And I found the answer to whether Sleaford Mods can carry it off on the Woods stage... nice effort, but no.

But in saying all that, I still got introduced to new music, I still got to recline for hours in the sunshine, drinking Bloody Mary's at the Garden Stage, and I still had a great time. Early Bird tickets in the bag for 2022!

Edited by paulwa
  • Upvote 1

Can't really understand the pasting Albarn is getting from the broadsheets etc. I thought it was fantastic. Was never going to be full of Song-2 bangers. Very similar to that Live from Worthy Farm thing earlier this year (but, for my money, even better). The mediative, contemplative, slightly melancholic air of it was wonderful, followed by the blissful release of Hot Chip. Beautiful. Exactly what I needed after 2 years away.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Obviously a bit patchy this year compared to most, with very few US bands and plenty of last minute replacements. We also restricted ourselves to the outdoor stages. The special moment was Willy Tea Taylor on the Talking Heads stage, with great stories and a beautiful intimate setting..

Will Tea was fantastic yeah. Exactly what I was after at that time in the festival. 

7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Can't really understand the pasting Albarn is getting from the broadsheets etc. I thought it was fantastic. Was never going to be full of Song-2 bangers. Very similar to that Live from Worthy Farm thing earlier this year (but, for my money, even better). The mediative, contemplative, slightly melancholic air of it was wonderful, followed by the blissful release of Hot Chip. Beautiful. Exactly what I needed after 2 years away.

Agreed! Perhaps a misalignment of expectations and reality rather than an honest review of what it was. That version of Up on Melancholy Hill was so divine! I wish there was a legit recording of it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Affects everyone differently I suppose. I was never expecting Blur numbers, I just found the melancholy mood to be a massive downer and at that point needed more of a lift.

14 minutes ago, Fat_Buddha said:

Stood in a queue for 25 minutes to see him, didn’t move an inch, so gave up and wandered away

They were fixing the lighting; he started late but was worth the wait (sorry). He's touring this week, well worth the effort to catch him but that setting by the sheep was just perfect.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Affects everyone differently I suppose. I was never expecting Blur numbers, I just found the melancholy mood to be a massive downer and at that point needed more of a lift.

Had a convo late on Sunday about live music and its ability to elicit a physical response. Takes all types.

Music, the highest of all artforms. Damon's show couldnt have given me more of a lift if he waded through the crowd and attempted to chuck me over his shoulder.

Night time music at the Talking heads was something special. Missed Will Tea sadly, but loved Elijah Wolf, Studio Electrophonique, and Martha Rose.

My quick highlights:

Already a fan and lived up to high expectations: 

Arlo Parks, Jane Weaver, Sterolab (seems a long time ago now!), Sorry, Arab Strap (though missed the beginning so could catch 1st half of Little Simz - also awesome). Also Girl Ray were great for an uplift in the hot sun of Sunday afternoon. And Hot Chip fab for a dance near a man in a full robot suit (covid protection?)

Things I din't know much off but loved 

The Golden Dregs, Weasley Gonzalez (sad to miss Teleman though but seen loads of times), Porridge Radio. Yard act (saw on Piano stage but annoying clash with L. Simz for main act). Darren Hayman.

Things that the cool kids like, but didn't do it for me:

Black Country New Road (though liked the MGMT cover in the tipi), Squid, Warmduscher, King Krule, Comet is coming, Anna Meredith, Chubby and the gang.

Better than I though would be: Richard Dawson, Crack Cloud, BDRMM

Annoyed I missed: Melin Melyn, John Grant, Big Joanie, Pan Amsterdam, Yard Act, Penelope Isles.

Best secret tipi set: Bo Ningen 

Not worth staying up until 2am for: whatever was after BCNR on Sunday night!

Nice to see the toilets are now like other festivals, and we can play "deal or no deal".

Would have liked a few more "uplifting" acts.

Overall though a high point of the Summer as ever, and extra special to be back after the grim enforced break.

10 years since we first went, and first one with no trip to the kids area, not even Circus skills. Nice to have late night company instead!

Now crushing apples for next year's home brew cider, the last few bottles of which are always saved for the next eotr 🙂

Arrived on Thursday excited beyond belief and headed in for first band on the Woods Stage, Blood Wizard.

How the organisers managed to pull it out of the bag so remarkably is astounding. To complain about anything not being perfect (eg toilets) would be churlish at best, Any impact from Covid was minimal and apart from the absence of US/African bands, it was much like any other year - ie fantastic

Blood Wizard were fun, followed by Kikagaku Moyo and Stereolab. KM were entertaining but always seem like they could go up another gear. Stereolab played for 90 minutes and were phenomenal. Ended up working our way through the Spice Girls and drinking way too many ciders from the bus - getting back was hazy.

Headed in on Friday for a Bloody Mary, only to find the Airstream bus gone and the replacement still setting up at noon. Bleary eyed we headed to the Tipi to see if they could rustle up an alternative. There was no queue but only cans were available which, although acceptable as a substitute, were significantly enhanced when we asked for Tabasco etc which the kindly bar manager procured from elsewhere at speed.

Katy J Pearson was fun at the Woods, as was Balimaya Project. CMAT at the Garden Stage was a revelation - what a voice she has.

Enjoyed Teleman, less so Damon Albarn. The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur (boom boom) , as we met long absent friends who’d never been before, and ended up careering through the fairy lit, art filled beauty that is Larmer Tree. The oasis that is the woodland library seems to hold an extraordinary number of different Andy McNabb books - who knew he’d written so many!? Many stops at various bars were punctuated by a spot of stargazing (well, listening) and glimpses/snippets of Hot Chip, John Grant and Warmduscher.

Random encounters with strangers in the disco delights of Effing Forest produced a new limerick I’d never heard (who know there were so many rhymes for ‘Birmingham’, including ‘sperm in ‘im’?!) Saw a bit of KJP in the Tipi but unfortunately missed out on Bo Ningen. Left our friends dancing til closing in the Cider tent and headed back via a dimly recorded and less than direct route. The real ale tent was a treat throughout, but we were especially pleased with the 8 grain porter which became a firm friend. Highlight food wise was the Singapore Noodles (massive portions) followed by the crispy duck and roast potatoes.

Saturday was a bit calmer thankfully, and began with Golden Dregs (lovely hypnotic baritone) in the Garden Stage. Bloody Mary’s were still tantalisingly out of reach due to the queue, but a gin and ting from the Gin Bar did the trick, as did the Steak flatbread from the Persian concession. H Hawkline was great as ever with lovely patter, then over for Modern Nature and Hen Ogledd on the Woods. Both were very good but I tend to prefer them when they do evening sets.

Squid were phenomenal back at the GS. A quick sprint over to Woods for Comet (ferocious and relentless), quickly back to GS for the end of Anna Meredith (wish I’d caught more) and finished off back at Woods for Sleafords. Seen them many, many times but they’re always captivating - great to see political ire front and centre still, along with cutting lyrics and fantastic beats (now supplemented with singing occasionally).

Tried to wander over to TH for Simon Amstell but the queue was crazy so caught a bit of Romare (trippy), back to Tipi for more hot ciders plus Chubby and his gang (phenomenal) and Giant Swan (bonkers but great fun) as late night secret sets.

It always goes too quickly and Sunday was upon us already. Junior Brother (plus more gin) were interesting at Woods, then we spent the afternoon basking in the sun (well, shadow) at the Garden Stage. Beautifully curated for the last day, there are few better places to watch music. Charlie Cunningham was charming, Jim Ghedi absorbing and Shirley Collins blew the bloody doors off. She might have had the best reception of the weekend and the Morris dancer was great (as were the pre song intros explaining the 400 year plus origin of many of them).

Caught a bit of Porridge Radio who created a lovely racket, then over to Garden for the final couple of sets. Arab Strap were incredible (great lyrics, candid cynical subject matter, ferocious music) though Richard Dawson was the highlight. He played for 90 minutes but it went in a heartbeat - with songs of 14th century ogres and soldiers butting up against contemporary mental dislocation and the banality of existence. Loved the drummer too.

Darren Hayman finished off the published line up and was as enjoyable as ever. Great intro (‘Graham, who the fuck is Darren Hayman?)’ and all-round loveliness thereafter. He should play every year. Final two secret sets were Black County (loved them) and then an off kilter choice of Horsey (I think). Possibly the brother of King K, they were a (kind of) punk garage, glam cruise ship combo. King Krule came on to do the final number (wish I managed to see his main set TBH) and that was it for another year.

As ever, all was beautiful - customers, staff and crew were charming, ales were scrumptious, weather glorious, (even at night), music amazing and I’ll be back again for the dozenth time in ’22 - can’t wait x

Top 5ish

Stereolab

Squid

Shirley Collins

Arab Strap

Richard Dawson

Darren Hayman

Bubbling under

Golden Dregs

H Hawkline

Hen Ogledd

Black Country

Chubby and the Gang

Jim Ghedi

Gutted to have missed

Fortitude Valley

Jane Weaver

Jonny Dillon

Vanishing Twin

Trash Kit

Sarathy Korwar

Melin Melyn

Caroline

Drug Store Romeos

Sorry

Girl Ray

Dry Cleaning

Dana Gavanski

Pan Amsterdam

Yard Act

• Upvote 4

Second time for me. Had a really great time and the weather was about perfect.

My very minor moans - as others have said, the toilets seemed less and worse (lack of urinals then impacted on the portaloo queues). Phone signal was again pretty much non existent which I don’t really mind for personal use but it does impact on the traders and was annoying for so many of them having to go cash only. 

Best areas: the woods after the bands - karaoke and disco ship. The whole garden area. 

best food - Luardo’s nachos for me. So much good stuff there though. 

My favourite stage acts: Hot Chip, Squid, Pan Amsterdam, Little Simz (she should be massive, I wish I’d seen more), Porridge Radio, KJP. Close behind were Jane Weaver, Anna Meredith, Billy Nomates, Stereolab. No compromising from Sleaford Mods and I enjoyed it but it wasn’t really one for the neutral 🙂

Slight disappointments: Teleman, BCNR as much as I like them left me a bit flat. Not sure why. Went to the second half of Albarn and enjoyed the last 20 minutes. After being bored by the Worthy Farm stuff I knew what to expect with the rest. Dry Cleaning were great but the lyrics got a bit lost which are such a massive part of it. 

I’m back next year. Even with this year’s ‘reduced’ line up there is so much more than you can ever realistically see and some pretty hard decisions with clashes.