All Points East Festival 2022

Hutchmaster

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Makes you wonder how poorly this is selling...

Are Gorillaz even a big pull anymore? Feel like their popularity has somewhat dithered since their comeback a few years back, and despite their last album charting well and doing fairly well critically it just seemed to come and go without much fanfare. 

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Are Gorillaz even a big pull anymore? Feel like their popularity has somewhat dithered since their comeback a few years back, and despite their last album charting well and doing fairly well critically it just seemed to come and go without much fanfare. 

They aren't a massive draw but most APE headliners aren't a massive draw though. They've sold out the O2 a few times so it's not like they are Razorlight or The Darkness who went from headlining R&L to playing academies.

39 minutes ago, jump said:

They aren't a massive draw but most APE headliners aren't a massive draw though. They've sold out the O2 a few times so it's not like they are Razorlight or The Darkness who went from headlining R&L to playing academies.

Also if your festival is called APE, you surely have a duty to book a band called Gorillaz.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, they pretty much sold out the O2 last year (along with an additional gig for NHS workers) but it was at the peak of oh-fuck-all-restrictions-have-lifted fever – that was the first 'big' gig that happened. I don't know if they've got the same pull a year later, at the arse end of an album campaign that didn't have any major singles.

The push last week on socials before one new addition make me think this is probably struggling.

I think this is misguided a bit - can't be doing worse than some of the days that they have done before - BMTH obviously come to mind. Gorillaz are great live as well, really surprised me how great they were at Boardmasters last year.

Now can they announce some more stuff for the other days! Field Day has had like 4 announcements now

3 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Yeah, they pretty much sold out the O2 last year (along with an additional gig for NHS workers) but it was at the peak of oh-fuck-all-restrictions-have-lifted fever – that was the first 'big' gig that happened. I don't know if they've got the same pull a year later, at the arse end of an album campaign that didn't have any major singles.

The push last week on socials before one new addition make me think this is probably struggling.

Also not helped that most people going would need to book the day off work. 

Gorillaz are an excellent live act.

The band backing Damon is really good, those backing singers and bass player is underrated too. Saw them at Werchter in 2018 and had the time of my life. Songs like Rhinestone Eyes, Andromedia and Every Planet We Reach Is Dead clicked massively when hearing them live.

Edited by misterplow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

I loved Gorillaz when I seen them and my mate fancies this, so I think I might go. Turnstile has turned my head a bit. I've seen IDLES so if that is a clash, I can handle that. But being able to see both would be amazing.

There won’t be clashes with these guys, two main stages like last year, with alternate performances. Maybe 10 mins max. 

1 hour ago, sadimmock said:

Yes but with, to my mind, a much stronger undercard (although everyone’s view will be different). 

Yeah, although Michael Kiwanuka is a pretty big name too. 

I'm guessing most of the tickets were sold for Cave anyway. Glad I'll be seeing him in Werchter, Belgium this year, where he's sharing the bill with The Smile, Placebo, Courtney Barnett en the Sleafords. 

27 minutes ago, misterplow said:

I'm guessing most of the tickets were sold for Cave anyway. Glad I'll be seeing him in Werchter, Belgium this year, where he's sharing the bill with The Smile, Placebo, Courtney Barnett en the Sleafords. 

Similarly, we'd have bought tickets for the Nick Cave day at APE if we weren't seeing him at Best Kept Secret.

I'm sure European festival bookings aren't accounting for much of dip in sales for APE though. It's months away and I suspect it'll sell out but it is a busy time of year for festivals and I much preferred APE in May as a warm up for the season.

1 hour ago, misterplow said:

That sounds like a great line-up! 

4 hours ago, misterplow said:

Been to Best Kept Secret once. Seeing Cave in that location (a beach) sounds dream like too. 

Exactly! We've been once too, 8 (!) years ago, and loved it. We cycled then from the UK for the full Dutch vibe (actually filmed it for the festival that time) and will probably do the same this year. Very easy from the ferry, even with my level of fitness!

Not to go too off topic here, but the line is invariably great and the location is fantastic. It rarely gets much love on these forums, which surprises me (maybe the name isn't ironic after all!). Nick Cave, The Strokes and Alt-J headlining this year, with great depth too. My biggest gripe is that things don't kick off until mid-afternoon on the Friday! Would highly recommend anybody who likes Primavera/APE style line ups to check it out.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, gfa said:

I think this is misguided a bit - can't be doing worse than some of the days that they have done before - BMTH obviously come to mind. Gorillaz are great live as well, really surprised me how great they were at Boardmasters last year.

Now can they announce some more stuff for the other days! Field Day has had like 4 announcements now

Looks to me like the undercards are now being properly filled out. Idles and Turnstile for the Gorillaz day make sense in terms of adding a couple of acts that will shift a decent number of tickets on their own. They probably also complement Gorillaz more than any of the other headliners. Presumably a "curates" day is a lot harder to pull together than most assume as Gorillaz didn't even really manage that when they stayed their own festivals a few years back in LA and Margate (not often those places are in the same sentence). 

• Upvote 1

I have tickets to 4 of the days but wish I'd held back, didn't realise the cheap tickets might be a thing 😛

I kinda went off KGATLW a bit as they simply release too much music and its a struggle to keep up with them sometimes! But I just heard The Dripping Tap from their new record and now can't wait to see them. The undercard that day is pretty good, I'm not the biggest fan of the National but will happily see them (they were decent last time at APE) so that should be a good day.

Nick Cave's undercard is also really good and I am relieved at the lack of clashes at APE - I am so glad Kraftwerk and Chems won't clash on the Field Day day..... lots of pretty upset people if that was the case.

I’m trying to recall whether in the past there have been deals on upgrades nearer the time. I did a VIP day last year and liked having the chance to chill away from the crowd. But it’s a big premium this year and unless that comes down I doubt I’d go for it. 

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

"Luno will join us in Victoria Park to showcase the possibilities of the crypto industry." 🙃

Cinch has got competition! anything is better than the vape company sponsoring boardmasters last year