Slam Dunk Festival 2022

jump

6 minutes ago, TJB said:

I'm going to guess either All Time Low to coincide with their UK shows this week, or BFMV who said they had exciting news this week 

Both played 2019. As much as I like both bands either would be a disappointing booking. 

7 hours ago, Hawky said:

I know who's headlining and it's massively disappointing imo.

My guess is Sum 41 and All Time Low again. When they booked the latter last time it felt it was a slightly bigger booking than usual and they were returning to play kind of what made them. Still think they probably have the edge in size over most acts that headline it. Should be aiming a little bigger now though with costs although I'd have rathered it stayed a smaller scale.

5 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Who would you have instead out of interest?

Bring Me The Horizon, A Day To Remember, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy??? Bands that sort of justify paying £85 for a ticket. Frankly a ticket to a Don Broco or Sum 41 show (just using recent headliners as examples) is £25-40. That doesn't justify £80 when festivals like All Points East (which is London based) have bands like The Strokes, LCD Soundsystem etc playing. Either Slamdunk need to get realistic with their pricing or step up. It's what's put me off going for the last few years and a few of my pals as well. 

2 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Bring Me The Horizon, A Day To Remember, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy??? Bands that sort of justify paying £85 for a ticket. Frankly a ticket to a Don Broco or Sum 41 show (just using recent headliners as examples) is £25-40. That doesn't justify £80 when festivals like All Points East (which is London based) have bands like The Strokes, LCD Soundsystem etc playing. Either Slamdunk need to get realistic with their pricing or step up. It's what's put me off going for the last few years and a few of my pals as well. 

Think ADTR could be possible one day. They aren't headlining any other UK fests any time soon so maybe? If BMTH never get the nod at Download or RandL they might do it. I don't think theres any pop-punk/00s emo bands bigger than ATL/Sum 41 who they could get though really, Green Day, Paramore, MCR, FOB are all far too big of a reach right now as are Blink who are basically finished anyway. Obviously they can have headliners who aren't in that particular scene but that would seem to be their home territory.

Dropping the ticket price by £20 would be the only answer to that short term

8 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Eh, if you're seeing 8-10 bands a day it still works out as a pretty cheap day out to me.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

In fairness All Points East is a bargain, £3.50 a tix when I went!

Tbh I'd rather pay more for a decently curated line up to my taste rather than counting the bands (or in some cases on the forum the number of songs on a playlist lol) to see if it's good value, that ain't rock or roll! Then again I've rarely ever ventured to the main stage so I can't really say if those are good line ups or not.

14 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

You're not paying £80 for a Don Broco ticket, you're paying £80 for a festival you'll get to see 8-10 bands at, who realistically probably charge up to £20 each being Conservative, with a headliner who would charge £40ish, how is it not worth the money? 

2 minutes ago, jump said:

In fairness All Points East is a bargain, £3.50 a tix when I went!

Tbh I'd rather pay more for a decently curated line up to my taste rather than counting the bands (or in some cases on the forum the number of songs on a playlist lol) to see if it's good value, that ain't rock or roll! Then again I've rarely ever ventured to the main stage so I can't really say if those are good line ups or not.

Gone are the days of the Vodafone perks/enter a competition win 50 tickets sadly. 

I think for me its gone from a well crafted line up to entering Download territory where pretty much 50% of the acts play every 2 years. I think £60 for the line up Slamdunk offers is decent and I'm aware that festival prices are going up but the last time I went I paid £50 max (2018). Not cheap but tolerable and as mentioned before it is usually a pretty well thought out lineup. 

I think the issue here is its now £85? That's a Reading/BST/Download day ticket. £60 though, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Eh, if you're seeing 8-10 bands a day it still works out as a pretty cheap day out to me.

58 minutes ago, Jericode said:

You're not paying £80 for a Don Broco ticket, you're paying £80 for a festival you'll get to see 8-10 bands at, who realistically probably charge up to £20 each being Conservative, with a headliner who would charge £40ish, how is it not worth the money? 

I get his point though. Because when you pay that for bands you are getting a longet set. That band may come on for 40 mins to play 7 songs when they are going to play double that for the aforementioned price. Take Creeper for example, you might be paying £25 alone just for eg to see them but you are getting a lot more songs for that money.

I get the point about the price as only a couple of years ago Slam Dunk was £65 a day when headliners were All Time Low and Good Charlotte/JEW but now ticket prices are £85 yet the acts aren’t any bigger as we’re still getting bands Sum 41 and Don Broco and discussing All Time Low being back which is fine but I don’t feel the price hike is justified as mentioned above when you can get a Download or Reading day ticket for a similar price yet get Biffy Clyro or SOAD as a headliner who you’d pay £50-60 at their own shows. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, foolee said:

I get the point about the price as only a couple of years ago Slam Dunk was £65 a day when headliners were All Time Low and Good Charlotte/JEW but now ticket prices are £85 yet the acts aren’t any bigger as we’re still getting bands Sum 41 and Don Broco and discussing All Time Low being back which is fine but I don’t feel the price hike is justified as mentioned above when you can get a Download or Reading day ticket for a similar price yet get Biffy Clyro or SOAD as a headliner who you’d pay £50-60 at their own shows. 

Kinda this. I don't know terribly how much a Reading ticket is now but I don't it's far off topping £100. But the difference as said is that the Slam Dunk headliners are bands that play 3rd down at Reading at the very highest so you've got a sub size and a headliner to factor in for that price.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Kinda this. I don't know terribly how much a Reading ticket is now but I don't it's far off topping £100. But the difference as said is that the Slam Dunk headliners are bands that play 3rd down at Reading at the very highest so you've got a sub size and a headliner to factor in for that price.

Well Reading these days for fans of rock/punk music aren't likely to get many bands a day anyway 

15 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Well Reading these days for fans of rock/punk music aren't likely to get many bands a day anyway 

No, I mean my days at Reading are basically gone. All my favourite bands that are punk/punk rock/ska punk are playing next year. Not all punk rock mind. But I've got Alkaline Trio, I will see JEW at 2000 Trees, Evanescence and Within Temptation, Dropkicks and The Interrupters, Less Than Jake I will get a ticket to probably, probably buy it today. The Coral I'm struggling for a date this is viable, plus I'm nore interested in just a smaller set. There is a lot of their material that doesn't bother me. I have We Are Scientists too. Oh and The Offspring with The Hives too. So it's kind of like my indie/rock/punk rock childhood with a slice of goth haha. I'd take those bands over most newer one's these days. And I'd probably say based on the recent years for SD of ATL, Don Broco, Good Charlotte, Panic, JEW and Shikari that ATL would be my choice and JEW are at Trees. So if I got Sum 41 and ATL as headliners that I can both see then I reckon I've done well. 

25 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Subjective 

I like full days at Slam dunk and full days (almost) at Reading and I only really watch the rock acts. Most of Friday and Sunday was stacked this year at RandL

I think I remember circa 2018, Reading day tickets were lowered to £70~75. Not sure what they are these days. 
just seen Slam dunks 2022 pricing structure, and a full ticket is £75 raising ticket £85 after early bird. (Probs without fees). 

it just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, paying that kindve money to see a band like All time low headline. Maybe it was fine 6 years ago when they were playing venues like the O2 arena.

Edited by Rotinajer
Final paragraph

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Do you really give fuck if a band only plays third at one festival and then headlines another if you like them anyway?

This forum is weird at times trying to filter everything into terms of festival bookings. There's a silly person in the Glasto section saying the metal scene is dead based on looking at the Download posters. lol

7 minutes ago, jump said:

Do you really give fuck if a band only plays third at one festival and then headlines another if you like them anyway?

This forum is weird at times trying to filter everything into terms of festival bookings. There's a silly person in the Glasto section saying the metal scene is dead based on looking at the Download posters. lol

If a band plays 3rd at a festival that is charging a similar price as a festival where they would be headlining then yes there is an issue there. Whether I like that band is irrelevant in that arguement. 

We're actually having a constructive conversation in here where others are actually, and with good reason agreed.

So if you're goung to come in and start being a pain questioning everything again then just don't bother and go away.