Line up for New Order @ Heaton Park. Man

T3TTK

The only time I attended a gig in Heaton Park is The Stone Roses 2012. After the show, there was a massive queue around the tram station and I waited for about an hour or so. The organizers also operated the shuttle bus yet this happened. Seemingly no shuttle bus for New Order Friday for some reason although it will be operated for Parklife Saturday and Sunday.

I am considering walking back to Manchester city centre — would it be a feasible idea? Has anybody ever done that? How long does it take, and is it safe enough late at night (I am flying solo)? Any recommended route? Would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

It takes about an hour and half depending on your speed if you are going to walk for ages then the best thing to do is walk up towards prestwhich and get the tram from there. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Prestwich — sounds like a good idea. 

But...when a big music event happens in Heaton Park, there is a case Heaton Park station is closed for the return trip and the customers are instructed to go to the Bowker Vale stop. Does it mean the tram starts from Bowker Vale? In which case you can’t get on it at Prestwich obviously. Or will it stop at Prestwich and then “skip” the Heaton Park stop? 

I don’t know about the Metrolink operation on New Order day, but the Parklife website puts the information as below;

“If you wish to use the Metrolink to get back to the city centre after after 6pm then you will need to go to the Bowker Vale stop. Directions to the stop will be signposted by all the customer exits. Heaton Park Metrolink station will close at 18:00 hrs on both event days.”

I live just up the road from Heaton Park and i agree with heading to Prestwich as trams will start from Bury and stop at Prestwich before reaching Bowker Vale, so you will avoid queues and get a seat too! Though it will depend on which exit you come out off as it's a massive park. 

Loads of bars / pubs in Prestwich too for pre gig drinks.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:49 AM, zzzfest said:

The only time I attended a gig in Heaton Park is The Stone Roses 2012. After the show, there was a massive queue around the tram station and I waited for about an hour or so. The organizers also operated the shuttle bus yet this happened. Seemingly no shuttle bus for New Order Friday for some reason although it will be operated for Parklife Saturday and Sunday.

I am considering walking back to Manchester city centre — would it be a feasible idea? Has anybody ever done that? How long does it take, and is it safe enough late at night (I am flying solo)? Any recommended route? Would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

There won't be anywhere near the number of people for this gig though.

19 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

last train from Victoria to tod is 11:19.

Other option is a tram to Rochdale (maybe milnrow) then taxi to todmorden.  Last tram from Victoria is at 23:44

18 hours ago, weirfoot said:

Cutting it a bit close for a train to Tod but as an alternative you could walk into Prestwich and get a Witchway bus at about 00.15 (also 01.15,02.15) to Rawtenstall and taxi from there

17 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Doesn’t that go to Burnley? Taxi to tod might be cheaper from there depending on where in tod you are based. 

Ta. Yeah I'm a regular on the last train back from Viccy but given previous experience of Heaton Park not convinced we'll be able to catch it. I think we will probably just get a taxi from HP, or if it finishes early enough bolt across to Rochdale and see if we can get the train from there. 

43 minutes ago, DDave said:

Working Mens Club are playing at 5.30pm so I'm reckoning Hot Chip to be on 7.30 to 7.45ish

New Order - 21:00 - 22:45
Hot Chip  - 19:15 - 20:15
Working Men's Club - 17:30 - 18:30 

seems most likely to me