Jump to content

2023 Festival


TheWaters
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Muse // Sam Fender

Dua Lipa // Kasabian

Radiohead // Doja Cat

Completely unrealistic but not impossible. Mostly is what would be perfect for me.

Radiohead said they won't be back because of what the audience is like now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Radiohead said they won't be back because of what the audience is like now

Yeah, they would be wasted on the yoof but last time they played they started making wassup jokes which was already 10 years out of date at the time so they are abit out of touch,

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, VCK said:

Did they? Linkage?

Someone will get a link i'm sure, not quite the right wording but it was something along those lines. They viewed themselves as too old for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

Someone will get a link i'm sure, not quite the right wording but it was something along those lines. They viewed themselves as too old for it.

Interesting. As immense as they were in 2009 the crowd wasn't the liveliest and quite a lot of people I spoke to weren't too fussed about them playing, and that was back when that sort of music was a lot more popular with the R&L audience, so imagine if they were booked to play in this day and age.

I wonder if other acts like The Cure and Pulp have a similar attitude towards the idea of playing again.

Edited by VCK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, VCK said:

Interesting. As immense as they were in 2009 the crowd wasn't the liveliest and quite a lot of people I spoke to weren't too fussed about them playing, so imagine if they were booked to play in this day and age.

I wonder if other acts like The Cure and Pulp have a similar attitude towards the idea of playing again.

It might have been The Cure actually. I think this comment i found sums it up well though:

 

They don't have the same energy as recent rock headliners like Muse, Foos or RATM. Last time there was a headliner like them was when The Cure in 2012 and then before than 2009 when they last played.

---

Re. Pulp, was just on about this in the glastonbury forum - Jarvis said something about not being able to do it justice again with another reunion and wanted to just leave it. Vs other reunions from a similar time/style like Blur, Oasis and Stone Roses they are also a lot smaller with only a few well known songs - they co-headlined 11 years ago so would be MSW and as a result that might not put them off. Its a different case to The Cure and Radiohead who are still huge, i just don't think they would be able to agree on a fair slot that would do them justice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

Radiohead said they won't be back because of what the audience is like now

Ah damn, shame. They’d 100% sell day tickets so I don’t know what their issue is. I guess if they feel the festival has moved on from them as a band in terms of the punters there’s not much anyone can do to convince them.

Edited by FeverDream
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

It might have been The Cure actually. I think this comment i found sums it up well though:

 

They don't have the same energy as recent rock headliners like Muse, Foos or RATM. Last time there was a headliner like them was when The Cure in 2012 and then before than 2009 when they last played.

---

Re. Pulp, was just on about this in the glastonbury forum - Jarvis said something about not being able to do it justice again with another reunion and wanted to just leave it. Vs other reunions from a similar time/style like Blur, Oasis and Stone Roses they are also a lot smaller with only a few well known songs - they co-headlined 11 years ago so would be MSW and as a result that might not put them off. Its a different case to The Cure and Radiohead who are still huge, i just don't think they would be able to agree on a fair slot that would do them justice

I think that Cure booking was the last time the organisers really thought outside the box. We've had some fantastic bookings for headliners since, but none of them have been particularly surprising. Even RATM, who are to a lot on here the most exciting name in years, have a pretty big history with the festival and it was fairly obvious R&L were at least going to go for them as soon as they announced their reunion. I didn't go in 2012 but I can imagine they didn't draw too big of a crowd either, at least in comparison to the two other headliners that year.

I made the mistake of assuming that Pulp will stick around like Blur and the Roses did after their reunion so the fact I didn't get a day ticket in 2011 or see them in Sheffield the following year (low funds) will live with me forever. But I respect the manner in which they chose to bow out. We Love Life is the perfect conclusion to their discography and any new material would just ruin that.

I'm also glad the Roses didn't go ahead with this third album they supposedly had in the pipeline. Going by the two new songs, it was going to be a disappointment.

Edited by VCK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, VCK said:

I think that Cure booking was the last time the organisers really thought outside the box. We've had some fantastic bookings for headliners since, but none of them have been particularly surprising. Even RATM, who are to a lot on here the most exciting name in years, have a pretty big history with the festival and it was fairly obvious R&L were at least going to go for them as soon as they announced their reunion. I didn't go in 2012 but I can imagine they didn't draw too big of a crowd either, at least in comparison to the two other headliners that year.

I made the mistake of assuming that Pulp will stick around like Blur and the Roses did after their reunion so the fact I didn't get a day ticket in 2011 or see them in Sheffield the following year (low funds) will live with me forever. But I respect the manner in which they chose to bow out. We Love Life is the perfect conclusion to their discography and any new material would just ruin that.

I'm also glad the Roses didn't go ahead with this third album they supposedly had in the pipeline. Going by the two new songs, it was going to be a disappointment.

The festival doesn't sell out long in advance, they can't make out there bookings or bump people up like Glastonbury can. Given how much the audience varies its not like they can book 2 standard names then a out there one, this year all 3 headliners are pretty different.

I'm sure Pulp will be back eventually, whether its for a tour or some one-offs. Give it 10 years and BST will no doubt start offering them millions to play in their shitty venue.

I honestly think the 2 singles weren't even that bad, nothing amazing sure but they weren't dreadful better than half of Second Coming no doubt about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gfa said:

The festival doesn't sell out long in advance, they can't make out there bookings or bump people up like Glastonbury can. Given how much the audience varies its not like they can book 2 standard names then a out there one, this year all 3 headliners are pretty different.

I'm sure Pulp will be back eventually, whether its for a tour or some one-offs. Give it 10 years and BST will no doubt start offering them millions to play in their shitty venue.

I honestly think the 2 singles weren't even that bad, nothing amazing sure but they weren't dreadful better than half of Second Coming no doubt about it.

I hope so. They are a bucket list act. Even just a one off show in Sheffield would be great.

The two Roses singles were underwhelming I thought, they sounded like a band trying to sound like the Roses. Also there's some bangers on the second half of Second Coming. Good Times, Tears, Begging You and, of course, Love Spreads. Hugely underappreciated album, I've always thought, though I'll agree the first half is stronger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radiohead will just be content to doing their own shows plus maybe Glasto/TRNSMT too. If they ever tour again. Plus the whole LiveNation court case probably makes them unlikely.

That being said, I think Melvin said he was a fan so I wouldn’t be surprised if he did try to get them again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The Weeknd x6

came here to post almost this exact message after hearing the new album

 

The Weeknd (After Hours Set)/The Weeknd (Starboy Set)

The Weeknd (Dawn FM Set)/ The Weeknd (Kiss Land Set)

The Weeknd (House of Balloons Set)/The Weeknd (Beauty Behind The Madness Set)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

came here to post almost this exact message after hearing the new album

 

The Weeknd (After Hours Set)/The Weeknd (Starboy Set)

The Weeknd (Dawn FM Set)/ The Weeknd (Kiss Land Set)

The Weeknd (House of Balloons Set)/The Weeknd (Beauty Behind The Madness Set)

With Daniel Craig introducing each set. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Here's a curveball - how about Slipknot for MSW?

MSW? Come on. Just because it isn’t their crowd, doesn’t mean they wouldn’t headline MSE. They’re absolutely big enough but they simply won’t play. They don’t need to. 
 

I honestly think we are far more likely to see Metallica in 2023. I think they’re going to do R&L again before they do Download. 

Edited by Andre91
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Weeknd has to play given his latest album and is the exact sort of act the festival and goers want now. He will probably have Post Malone as a special guest to.

Lizzo or Doja Cat will take the Megan Thee Stalion role this time, expecting Lizzo given how Radio 1 constantly bumps her and has her on (and Doja Cat said she wants to quit music).

Kasabian will be there, they seem to be an easy booking to make.

Queens of the Stone Age, FR have been trying to get them to headline for 5 years now and the one time they got them they had to pull out. If they aren't available it will be Muse as they often come every few years.

21 Pilots are still trundling along, getting good crowds for relatively poor music (how well it's recieved in comparison to Blurry face).

The 1975 have been one of the most well recieved headliners in recent years, I can see they'd be huge if booked.

 

MSE >> The 1975 // The Weeknd // Muse

MSW >> Kasabian // Lizzo // 21 Pilots

 

*alternatively - Kasabian, Billie Eilish, Muse, Yungblud, Lizzo, 21 Pilots

 

 

MSE Subs: Rex Orange County, Sam Fender, Bombay Bicycle Club

Edited by Chad888
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

The Weeknd has to play given his latest album and is the exact sort of act the festival and goers want now. He will probably have Post Malone as a special guest to.

Lizzo or Doja Cat will take the Megan Thee Stalion role this time, expecting Lizzo given how Radio 1 constantly bumps her and has her on (and Doja Cat said she wants to quit music).

Kasabian will be there, they seem to be an easy booking to make.

Queens of the Stone Age, FR have been trying to get them to headline for 5 years now and the one time they got them they had to pull out. If they aren't available it will be Muse as they often come every few years.

21 Pilots are still trundling along, getting good crowds for relatively poor music (how well it's recieved in comparison to Blurry face).

The 1975 have been one of the most well recieved headliners in recent years, I can see they'd be huge if booked.

 

Reading Fri & Leeds Sat >> The 1975 // Lizzo

Reading Sat & Leeds Sun >> The Weeknd // Kasabian

Reading Sun & Leeds Sat >> Queens of the Stone Age // 21 Pilots

I would predict the Weeknd but I think he may be Glasto bound. He’s reached the top levels of stardom and I think the big pointy one may be calling.

Lizzo and Doja cat I can 100% see as headliners.

Surprised Kasabian aren’t there this year.

Agree on 21p coming back but not sure the 1975 will be back yet…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, strudd3rs said:

Slipknot are big enough to organise their own one day festival in the UK. I can't see them risking headlining a festival where it's not guaranteed they'll go down well

Yeah was meant to be at MK Bowl in 2020 before 2020 ended up being a disaster.

No return to the diary for it yet though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Muse return wouldn’t shock me at all. They’ll have a new album too so yeah, it’s possibly either R&L or Download and I think R&L would be more the more likely of the two. 
 

If he’s at Wireless this year, Tyler has to be in with a shout? 
 

I think this would cover a lot of bases: 

Paramore x YUNGBLUD 

Billie Eilish x Tyler, The Creator 

Muse x Sam Fender 
 

Edited by Andre91
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A Muse return wouldn’t shock me at all. They’ll have a new album too so yeah, it’s possibly either R&L or Download and I think R&L would be more the more likely of the two. 
 

If he’s at Wireless this year, Tyler has to be in with a shout? 
 

I think this would cover a lot of bases: 

Paramore x YUNGBLUD 

Billie Eilish x Tyler, The Creator 

Muse x Sam Fender 
 

Not a bad set that. There is a good chance of Billie I’d say as R&L does like to target Glastonbury’s headliners from the following year - although I still think Billie has to be eyeing up stadiums shortly?

Maybe Dua instead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A Muse return wouldn’t shock me at all. They’ll have a new album too so yeah, it’s possibly either R&L or Download and I think R&L would be more the more likely of the two. 
 

If he’s at Wireless this year, Tyler has to be in with a shout? 
 

I think this would cover a lot of bases: 

Paramore x YUNGBLUD 

Billie Eilish x Tyler, The Creator 

Muse x Sam Fender 
 

I think they’ll be after Billie but it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s not touring in 2023 as her tour is pretty extensive this year. I wonder the same about Sam Fender tbh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...