2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Fenders legacy at the festival would be much greater if he does MSW next year and then steps up to MSE in 3 or 4 years.

If he went straight in to the Friday slot on MSE, it would he deserved but a little underwhelming and he would always have that cloud hanging over his name, a bit like when Fallout Boy, 21 Pilots, Liam Gallagher etc were announced (granted LG was a household name but as part of Oasis).

This is such an efestivals thing to say, like he'd care and he'd smash it out the park no doubt.

All 3 of those you listed are household names too - the former two got good radio airplay for several album cycles around 5 years ago i'd argue. Bit crap, sure in my eyes - but far from unknown.

I think MSE next year is a bit fast, but on the next album sure. Comment section will be asking for him more than for AM next year i think ( i know AM are there this year but people just ask for them again regardless, see post malone)

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Fenders legacy at the festival would be much greater if he does MSW next year and then steps up to MSE in 3 or 4 years.

If he went straight in to the Friday slot on MSE, it would he deserved but a little underwhelming and he would always have that cloud hanging over his name, a bit like when Fallout Boy, 21 Pilots, Liam Gallagher etc were announced (granted LG was a household name but as part of Oasis).

Dunno. He’s sold out Finsbury Park no worries while the likes of Tame Impala who are mooted on here by some as ticket shifting MSE lock ins couldn’t sell out a similar capacity at APE. 

Know what you mean though. Steady growth often produces enhanced longetivity, there a few doubts he’d be big enough to do MSE though, as a proper ticket selling headliner

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Think Paramore are nailed.

I’m torn. If the Metallica x2 rumours are BS for Download I can see them slotting in there, especially if they’ve got four slots to fill. Paramore songs still get played at rock/emo club nights, would be a super progressive booking for DL.

Ah who am I kidding they’re gonna book System, Slipknot and Aerosmith again aren’t they? 

32 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

I’m torn. If the Metallica x2 rumours are BS for Download I can see them slotting in there, especially if they’ve got four slots to fill. Paramore songs still get played at rock/emo club nights, would be a super progressive booking for DL.

Ah who am I kidding they’re gonna book System, Slipknot and Aerosmith again aren’t they? 

Paramore will be at R&L where they have the relationship.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Benj said:

Dunno. He’s sold out Finsbury Park no worries while the likes of Tame Impala who are mooted on here by some as ticket shifting MSE lock ins couldn’t sell out a similar capacity at APE. 

Know what you mean though. Steady growth often produces enhanced longetivity, there a few doubts he’d be big enough to do MSE though, as a proper ticket selling headliner

Nobody on here is saying tame are MSE lock ins that i've seen, just a solid sized MSW act.

Their APE day is also a thursday carnival / bank holiday / Reading weekend with no support vs a friday on a weekend with nothing else on - before even looking at the lack of good supports!

MSE next album i stand by. top comments post festival will be asking for him to headline 23 though i bet

33 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Paramore songs still get played at rock/emo club nights, would be a super progressive booking for DL.

two words that should not be in the same sentence 🤣

37 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

System and Slipknot the same year is too ambitious for Download. It's gonna be Def Leppard, Pantera 50.5% Proof, Whitesnake and Faith No More!

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I think we can narrow the pool down to:

MSE//

1975 or Paramore 

Kendrick Lamar or Eminem

Muse or My Chemical Romance

MSW//

Sam Fender

Lizzo or Doja Cat

Kasabian or Queens of the Stone Age

and we'd all be happy with that.

Maybe swap QOTSA out for Foals. Other than that I don’t see why not

20 hours ago, Chad888 said:

MSE//

1975 or Paramore 

Kendrick Lamar or Eminem

MSW//

Sam Fender

Lizzo or Doja Cat

This is probably pretty accurate but possible not QOTSA just yet and Lizzo will probably do Glastonbury instead. I’d also expect MGK and possibly Olivia Rodrigo to be in the mix with outside chances of The Killers and Blink-182 (if the rumours about Tom being back and them doing Lollapalooza in South America early 2023 are true).

On 7/19/2022 at 4:04 PM, Chad888 said:

MSE//

1975 or Paramore 

Kendrick Lamar or Eminem

MSW//

Sam Fender

Lizzo or Doja Cat

There's definitely a lot more acts in the mix than this. Also if Paramore is in the MSE pool, Sam Fender is hands down.

4 hours ago, gfa said:

There's definitely a lot more acts in the mix than this. Also if Paramore is in the MSE pool, Sam Fender is hands down.

Paramore have headlined the festival before and continously been active for the past 20 years. Fender has been active for 2 and a half years, subbing the lower main stage.

There are also a lot more acts in the pool, but this is narrowed down based on how people in this thread see the winds blowing.

Edited by Chad888

25 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Paramore have headlined the festival before and continously been active for the past 20 years. Fender has been active for 2 and a half years, subbing the lower main stage.

There are also a lot more acts in the pool, but this is narrowed down based on how people in this thread see the winds blowing.

Paramore couldn't get close to selling out Finsbury Park. More now than ever its clear that 20 years means shit all, 2 and a half years is completely fine - tons of artists have shot up to big slots. Play God came out in 2017 so thats 5 years as well - Dave released Thiago Silva in 2016 so they'd be in the same boat if Fender did MSE next year. silly argument

29 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Paramore haven’t been active for 20 years, let alone continuously. They’ve done nothing for the last 4 years. 

Paramore headline MSE if they play. Bank on it. 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Paramore haven’t been active for 20 years, let alone continuously. They’ve done nothing for the last 4 years. 

Paramore headline MSE if they play. Bank on it. 

Not so sure. Not THAT big at their peak. Is there really a generation of people who didn’t get to see them who must now?

It wouldn’t be a shock, I don’t see them as being huge ticket shifters for Reading in their own right though, so the other two MSE’ers would need to be BIG

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Not so sure. Not THAT big at their peak. Is there really a generation of people who didn’t get to see them who must now?

It wouldn’t be a shock, I don’t see them as being huge ticket shifters for Reading in their own right though, so the other two MSE’ers would need to be BIG

Certainly not as big as this years 3 MSE acts

Not saying Paramore can't by the way, was just arguing against Chad saying Sam Fender can't but Paramore can. Either both can or neither can

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benj said:

They’ve been an arena band here consistently for the last decade. They’re a very, very big band. Reunion hype will bump that up even more. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

They’ve been an arena band here consistently for the last decade. They’re a very, very big band. Reunion hype will bump that up even more. 

2022 for Reading festival

Much much bigger ticket shifter than QOTSA. 

Not as big a ticket shifter as Sam Fender  

14 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Saw The Killers at Mad Cool this year. They weren’t my favourite band on the lineup but they were by far my favourite performance of the festival. There’s absolutely no way they won’t be on R&L’s radar like some have mentioned a few pages back.

The Killers have always been a top draw live act so not sure why next year is any different to other years they’ve chose not to book them. Not saying they won’t but I think they have indie options that they’ll try and book before The Killers e.g. The 1975, Kasabian & Sam Fender and I think they’d only book a maximum of 2 indie headliners. 

2 hours ago, foolee said:

The Killers have always been a top draw live act so not sure why next year is any different to other years they’ve chose not to book them. Not saying they won’t but I think they have indie options that they’ll try and book before The Killers e.g. The 1975, Kasabian & Sam Fender and I think they’d only book a maximum of 2 indie headliners. 

R&L like to have their big headliners exclusive or near enough exclusive and the killers always seem to do a few festivals if they come over so maybe its that perhaps.

they keep doing early summer festivals too

Edited by gfa

2 hours ago, foolee said:

I think you could get away with 3 indie acts depending on the bands. Whilst The Killers are indie I’d also argue they’re an established legacy rock band for R&L (same category as Foo Fighters, Muse, RHCP etc). Stick them on MSW, maybe have The 1975 on MSW too and then one of Kasabian or Fender on MSE (or both and drop The 1975 which would be my preference). God, feels odd calling a band that’s 20 years old legacy but that’s just the way I see R&L going haha.

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

I think you could get away with 3 indie acts depending on the bands. Whilst The Killers are indie I’d also argue they’re an established legacy rock band for R&L (same category as Foo Fighters, Muse, RHCP etc). Stick them on MSW, maybe have The 1975 on MSW too and then one of Kasabian or Fender on MSE (or both and drop The 1975 which would be my preference). God, feels odd calling a band that’s 20 years old legacy but that’s just the way I see R&L going haha.

Assume you’re mixing up you’re MSE and MSWs here!