2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Personally think she headlines off album 2, she’s absolutely huge and very very good 

Yup, decent new record and MSW headline, very worst MSE sub.

No chance she plays 6th at Reading, even if she'd booked back in Jan for this year.

Decent line up that though

Edited by Benj

8 hours ago, Benj said:

Yup, decent new record and MSW headline, very worst MSE sub.

No chance she plays 6th at Reading, even if she'd booked back in Jan for this year.

Decent line up that though

Does anyone know when headliners are booked for the following year? Always wondered how far ahead of the curve they can be for some acts, like Billie and Post Malone when they played mid afternoon

13 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

i’m pretty sure the 1975 will headline this or glastonbury next year. surely?  

quality.jpg

9 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Does anyone know when headliners are booked for the following year? Always wondered how far ahead of the curve they can be for some acts, like Billie and Post Malone when they played mid afternoon

Cannot speak for R+L, or indeed any festival, but generally got the impression that headliners for Glastonbury were booked between a year and eighteen months in advance. There's a lot of talk they had the bookings to headline the Pyramid stage in 2021 nailed down pre-pandemic, though how much truth there is to be had in that remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Ghost of Tom Joad is a deep cut I didn't expect and it's not even their song, damn 

They used to play it along with Kick Out The Jams so a cover isnt too far fetched. Just going to be interesting if they mix it up. 2 back to back shows in chicago up next.

Odd to see them play Testify a bit further into the setlist, it was always the opening song if not second when they'd occasionally open with Bombtrack. Either way I'm really excited now. Watched some videos of their performance at the weekend and they're as energetic and powerful as they ever were. Bring on August.

2 hours ago, jj200 said:

main stage west

friday: the 1975 

Saturday: kendrick lamer 

sunday: Muse

main stage east

Friday: the chemical brothers 

Saturday: two door cinema club

sunday: cardi b 

Hard to imagine 2 door are gonna get any bigger than they were last year?

Increasingly think The Killers are nailed on. Would be shocked, after the hugely successful stadium run this summer, and with a new album that's more Imploding the Mirage than Pressure Machine to come at the start of the new year, they'll look to basically hit up the European markets en-masse again next summer.

The only potential wrinkle is that R+L comes at the tail-end, so unless they plan to move through late summer festival season, that could pop the proverbial balloon.

Though, also, The Killers adore Britain and vice versa. They probably would pop over especially for it.

18 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Increasingly think The Killers are nailed on. Would be shocked, after the hugely successful stadium run this summer, and with a new album that's more Imploding the Mirage than Pressure Machine to come at the start of the new year, they'll look to basically hit up the European markets en-masse again next summer.

The only potential wrinkle is that R+L comes at the tail-end, so unless they plan to move through late summer festival season, that could pop the proverbial balloon.

Though, also, The Killers adore Britain and vice versa. They probably would pop over especially for it.

People have probably been saying this for the past 10 years. The festival is clearly swerving them for whatever reason or maybe they've just not been about late august in Europe. They've had plenty of chances to book them but haven't for whatever reason.

15 hours ago, jj200 said:

main stage west

friday: the 1975 

Saturday: kendrick lamer 

sunday: Muse

main stage east

Friday: the chemical brothers 

Saturday: two door cinema club

sunday: cardi b 

no way for chems, just not happening. bicep maybe

1 minute ago, gfa said:

People have probably been saying this for the past 10 years. The festival is clearly swerving them for whatever reason or maybe they've just not been about late august in Europe. They've had plenty of chances to book them but haven't for whatever reason.

Yeah inclined to agree. I am surprised they’ve not done it again as they’d go down a storm but they seem to get better options or just rotate certain other festivals as they can easily do Glasto, IOW, BST, Latitude and I wouldn’t be surprised if APE or Boardmasters joined the party to book them. I think if the time was right R&L would book them and consider them a headliner but for an indie booking at R&L they’re more likely to go for The 1975, Kasabian and Sam Fender before attempting to book The Killers I’d expect. 

3 minutes ago, foolee said:

Yeah inclined to agree. I am surprised they’ve not done it again as they’d go down a storm but they seem to get better options or just rotate certain other festivals as they can easily do Glasto, IOW, BST, Latitude and I wouldn’t be surprised if APE or Boardmasters joined the party to book them. I think if the time was right R&L would book them and consider them a headliner but for an indie booking at R&L they’re more likely to go for The 1975, Kasabian and Sam Fender before attempting to book The Killers I’d expect. 

Those acts you mentioned are definitely a lot cheaper, but Killers fit the AM slot of this year perfectly so its a bit strange. Could have done the KOL/Muse/Foos slot in recent years too. Definitely no good reason not to book them and they obviously have the funds for it.

Not sure APE would book them, feel they are a decent step above their bookings and would sell it out straight away (which means they've spent more than they need to on that day effectively) - they'd do well for boardmasters though! Isn't APE and BST the same company anyway, so i think they'd be given to BST to be honest.

Edited by gfa

46 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

A shout, but think they'd still be more likely to go for The Killers, if anything.

Would Damon be interested in R+L anymore?

No reason why not, sure he wouldn't mind the payday. Good relationship with Melvin Benn too

Gorillaz put on a great show at Primavera and their string of guests was incredible - Mos Def, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Bootie Brown, De La Soul, Fatoumata Diawara, slowthai. But they do still have the problem that most of the crowd doesn't seem to know a huge bulk of their setlist.

The Killers have way more recognisable tunes even if you're not a big fan, I almost forgot about the stuff from Day & Age when I saw them recently and that set was almost wall-to-wall hits. Be a great L+R booking.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Fair enough. Wonder how Gorillaz would fly with a younger crowd these days.

Lots of special guests, good rock / hiphop crossover too. Pretty perfect booking imo, especially if they did MSW.

13 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

The Strokes?

Is Paolo Nutini sub level as well, ik it’s in Glasgow but he looked rammed for TRNSMT

Lot of better options than strokes for that slot but definitely an option i guess. more likely to do APE again i think

I don't think paolo would get booked, he's not popular for the r&l crowd i'd argue. i hadn't even heard of him till his come back - not helped by his bad setlists too

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

Lots of special guests, good rock / hiphop crossover too. Pretty perfect booking imo, especially if they did MSW.

I... I mean, I like Gorillaz, but not convinced they would be a particular success. Wouldn't say that, for an artists whose commercial vintage is a decade-and-a-half ago, give or take, they have the hits to fill a headline set that would appeal to an R+L crowd as of now. Five years ago, would have thought them a slam-dunk booking.

But just have this horrible sense they'd get up there and promptly go down like a lead balloon despite the backlog of tunes they have.