2023 Festival

TheWaters

On 6/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, JSmurphy said:

First guess for next year is

The 1975, Lil Nas X
My Chemical Romance, Two Door Cinema Club
Kendrick Lamar, Paramore

Can’t see how TDCC are gonna jump up to headliner status when they’re basically still peddling themselves on a 10 year old LP

Otherwise a good list (not that I have a clue how big Lil Nas X is in the UK

On 6/11/2022 at 3:41 PM, JSmurphy said:

First guess for next year is

The 1975, Lil Nas X
My Chemical Romance, Two Door Cinema Club
Kendrick Lamar, Paramore

1975, P!ATD
MCR, Kasabian

Kendrick, Paramore

cant see Two door getting the bump up. And is Lil nas x relevant enough with the RandL crowd? I’m not sure. He’s massively popular, mind

Edited by Rotinajer

25 minutes ago, Rotinajer said:

1975, P!ATD
MCR, Kasabian

Kendrick, Paramore

cant see Two door getting the bump up. And is Lil nas x relevant enough with the RandL crowd? I’m not sure. He’s massively popular, mind

Can’t see all 3 of MCR, Paramore and Panic. 2 of them at a push 

Muse // Kasabian

Doja Cat // Queens of the Stone Age

Kendrick Lamar // Paramore

(Swap QOTSA for Sam Fender if Josh is still tied up in legal battles)

Tried to cover all bases. No idea if any of them are even touring / available bar Muse but hey ho

Edited by FeverDream

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Can’t see all 3 of MCR, Paramore and Panic. 2 of them at a push 

Good point. Replace Paramore with maybe..  Doja Cat or.. randl will mix it up and get Eminem back for the 3rd time in 10 years.

only reason for dropping paramore is they’re the ones who haven’t done a big comeback tour yet. Will probably have their own dates first based on their last album release tour

4 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Muse // Kasabian

Doja Cat // Queens of the Stone Age

Kendrick Lamar // Paramore

(Swap QOTSA for Sam Fender if Josh is still tied up in legal battles)

Tried to cover all bases. No idea if any of them are even touring / available bar Muse but hey ho

Fender will sell WAY more tickets than QOTSA

8 hours ago, Benj said:

Can’t see how TDCC are gonna jump up to headliner status when they’re basically still peddling themselves on a 10 year old LP

Otherwise a good list (not that I have a clue how big Lil Nas X is in the UK

Hes a lot bigger than Megan Thee Stallion. Very much a Lizzo vibe.

Otherwise I'd change Paramore for My Chemical Romance, and swap MCR out for Sam Fender, and TDCC for Machine Gun Kelly or someone like that 

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Fender will sell WAY more tickets than QOTSA

Fender would have sold way more tickets than RATM, but the festival needs to cater to everybody, or it becomes another T4 in the park / Radio 1 big weekend.

FR still need the acts that people will look at past line ups and think "they had some proper rock names still".

Thats why people like Harry Styles, all he will be is what Justin Timberlake was 15 years ago, Robbie Williams was 20 years ago, George Michael was 25 years ago. If you looked at a R&L lineup and saw Robbie Williams headlined once, you'd give it a miss.

At the current rate, Sam Fender will be a BBC Radio 2 memory in about 5 years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Fender would have sold way more tickets than RATM, but the festival needs to cater to everybody, or it becomes another T4 in the park / Radio 1 big weekend.

FR still need the acts that people will look at past line ups and think "they had some proper rock names still".

Thats why people like Harry Styles, all he will be is what Justin Timberlake was 15 years ago, Robbie Williams was 20 years ago, George Michael was 25 years ago. If you looked at a R&L lineup and saw Robbie Williams headlined once, you'd give it a miss.

You can’t badmouth Fender on here or the downvoters will be out in force 🤣

R&L is probably nearing end of its transition away from rock now - they could very easily take acts like RATM out and most punters away from this page would say it’s an improvement.

Fender and Harry Styles would both shift masses of tickets next year to different people. Equally, both will be on R2 in a few years but it shows they have longevity.

42 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Double post

Edited by andyrhodes24

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

The comment was more around the fact he’d be a replacement if they couldn’t get QOTSA

Deffo not like for like but a much bigger draw for most, as you say.

13 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

You can’t badmouth Fender on here or the downvoters will be out in force 🤣

R&L is probably nearing end of its transition away from rock now - they could very easily take acts like RATM out and most punters away from this page would say it’s an improvement.

Fender and Harry Styles would both shift masses of tickets next year to different people. Equally, both will be on R2 in a few years but it shows they have longevity.

Oh I know that 😂 they all have their rabid fan bases, it's just that Fenders hang out on here!

R&L haven't really been a "Rock" festival, more a zeitgeist show for artists whose CDs have that "parental advisory" sticker on. Its just that was once rock music, there's a larger shift towards urban music

You could have Harry Styles, Little Mix, and Adele as your headliners, the tickets they shift will be unfathomable. Its like I said, Harry Styles makes radio friendly music about watermelon flavoured sugar. 20 years ago you could have had Robbie Williams, Shaggy, and Steps as your headliners - it would have shifted ridiculous amounts of tickets.

22 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Oh I know that 😂 they all have their rabid fan bases, it's just that Fenders hang out on here!

R&L haven't really been a "Rock" festival, more a zeitgeist show for artists whose CDs have that "parental advisory" sticker on. Its just that was once rock music, there's a larger shift towards urban music

You could have Harry Styles, Little Mix, and Adele as your headliners, the tickets they shift will be unfathomable. Its like I said, Harry Styles makes radio friendly music about watermelon flavoured sugar. 20 years ago you could have had Robbie Williams, Shaggy, and Steps as your headliners - it would have shifted ridiculous amounts of tickets.

In the end, isn’t that kind of what killed V Fest though? Pop crowds are very fickle and don’t care for the festival experience as much as rock, hip hop or dance? 

35 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

In the end, isn’t that kind of what killed V Fest though? Pop crowds are very fickle and don’t care for the festival experience as much as rock, hip hop or dance? 

I think V Festival also suffered from being objectively worse value for money than other places in the end. You only got two days where every other major festival gave you three (for pretty much the same price). I never went but I had some friends go in (I want to say 2015) and they said it was just so bland. Nothing going on around the actual line up itself and food and drink vans costing a fortune there in comparison to everyone else.

Very good point about the pop crowd though, in my experience I find that they’re less likely to care about camping and finding new bands (which could explain why there was nothing else to do at V by the end) but that could easily be a sweeping generalisation. 

37 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Its why Radio 1 big weekender landed like a flat slug, the fans are going because they want to scream over a specific act like One Direction or Shawn Mendes or whoever plays now. But they don't know what they're doing so they just stand and listen like they do with a CD player.

13 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Its why Radio 1 big weekender landed like a flat slug, the fans are going because they want to scream over a specific act like One Direction or Shawn Mendes or whoever plays now. But they don't know what they're doing so they just stand and listen like they do with a CD player.

I don't think the average R1BW attendee has ever seen a CD player. Exposing your age there mate.

CD players are whack anyway, it's all about MP3 players that hold 16 tracks. 

9 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I don't think the average R1BW attendee has ever seen a CD player. Exposing your age there mate.

CD players are whack anyway, it's all about MP3 players that hold 16 tracks. 

Unless it's a hipster thing, I saw someone the other day with a cassette player.

I actually still use my MP3 player and every now and then someone get's amazed by it however I live in London so no wi-fi/signal on the tube and why would I limit myself to a handful of songs on my phone's memory when I've got a 200GB MP3 player that has literally hundreds of albums on it.

2 minutes ago, jump said:

Unless it's a hipster thing, I saw someone the other day with a cassette player.

I actually still use my MP3 player and every now and then someone get's amazed by it however I live in London so no wi-fi/signal on the tube and why would I limit myself to a handful of songs on my phone's memory when I've got a 200GB MP3 player that has literally hundreds of albums on it.

What fucks me off about streaming services is how unreliable your "offline" library can be. Left Spotify and Apple Music over how bad it was, Tidal has been better but not 100%

Not so sure 20 years ago that kind of audience didn’t do festivals.

Them were they were then today, no problem. Well not steps

…actually what’s the modern day equivalent today steps? Little Mix? 🤔

Think that would be a step too far. Think Reading organisers will be wary of demise of V when they went a little too pop

Not sure if Shaggy would headline either, MSW at most 😂

Edited by Benj

Complete outside shout for headliner. How about Frank Ocean? Rumoured for Coachella next year. Would be an absolutely massive get, not played in the U.K. since 2017.

He’d certainly go down a storm at a festival like Parklife but is he too big for them?

Edited by TKOCF
  • Like 1