2023 Festival

TheWaters

Johnny Rotten is a twat though, every few years he will come out with shit like go buy butter, go Trump* or some other bullshit so I can't take him seriously anymore. The last time I saw him was at Camden Rocks with Public Image Ltd 3/4 years ago and Christ he's let himself go and was shockingly bad.

I actually saw The Sex Pistols when they did those reunion shows 10/15 years ago. The crowd was fucking electric and everything was a massive sing along with the crowd.

*he really is MAGA.

Sex Pistols' Johnny Rotten Goes Full MAGA, Calls Trump "the Only Hope"

Edited by jump

2 hours ago, foolee said:

You do know Sex Pistols got all their clothes designed by Vivienne Westwood to make them look “punk” 😂 I think regardless of what Yungblud sounds like he can wear a band t shirt if he likes said band 😂

I honestly thought he looked quite good. Hate that he has a backing track though but he uses it because he runs around a lot. Good crowd interaction and tried his best on a main stage crowd at big weekend which is well know to be pretty lacking energy wise. I think you also have to remember watching someone on tv is completely different to actually being there with live music. 

And yet the irony is a group of sell outs are still more punk than him 😂 I thought it was a different kind of awful at Leeds last year. I remember the running about and poor quality sound/lack of singing, but while there was at least some atmosphere it was still poor overall

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

His label is going to drop him? Next joke. He has massive marketability. He will be a regular arena sell out pretty soon. 

Yeah he’ll do especially well on this current wave of renewed interest in pop/punk etc. He’s shite, but he isn’t going anywhere just yet. 

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah he’ll do especially well on this current wave of renewed interest in pop/punk etc. He’s shite, but he isn’t going anywhere just yet. 

Is he doing well though? Or is he being pushed on us involuntarily?

A bit like Rita Ora… is she actually big or does she just have a good agent?

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is he doing well though? Or is he being pushed on us involuntarily?

A bit like Rita Ora… is she actually big or does she just have a good agent?

This is a surprising take from you since you keep defending Maneskin as the future of rock because the industry is willing to push them regardless of them just being whacky Eurotrash shit rather than the next great rock band.

Not that I give a fuck about Yungblud but his tour last year shifted a lot of tickets which always a good indicator of actuals fans. Someone posted figures in one of the other threads on here and it was almost the same as Bring Me for context.

He sells fucking loads of tickets.

I used to be very harsh on him but these days I have zero problem with YUNGBLUD. Yeah, it’s all manufactured but so was Avril Lavigne and she got loads of kids into rock music. That’s his job. There will be young people who end up at The Offspring and Rancid because of him. I’m all for him being nominated for awards and performing at ceremonies. I’d rather that than ‘insert house DJ here’. Yeah, he’s annoying, yeah he’s forced but at a time when rock music is in the gutter in the mainstream, at least he’s opening young people up to it. 

Big up YUNGBLUD. Annoying but cool. The Tom DeLonge of our time (jk).

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I used to be very harsh on him but these days I have zero problem with YUNGBLUD. Yeah, it’s all manufactured but so was Avril Lavigne and she got loads of kids into rock music. That’s his job. There will be young people who end up at The Offspring and Rancid because of him. I’m all for him being nominated for awards and performing at ceremonies. I’d rather that than ‘insert house DJ here’. Yeah, he’s annoying, yeah he’s forced but at a time when rock music is in the gutter in the mainstream, at least he’s opening young people up to it. 

It wasn't that long ago the likes of Rancid and The Offspring were considered sugary pop music to the older generartions rather than pillars of the punk scene.

When I was a kid going to my first gigs I'd see alot of punk bands like Rancid who were my first big gig and especially Gallows who I think I managed to see them something like 10-20 times before Frank quit and I remember telling my gig going Aunt and Uncle who were og punks about who I was seeing. They had written most of it off as pop-punk and jokingly mocked it wasn't real punk like what they listen to such as Cock Sparrer, The Meteors and Anti-Nowhere League. 

It's the same with us mocking Yungblud isn't? 

57 minutes ago, jump said:

It wasn't that long ago the likes of Rancid and The Offspring were considered sugary pop music to the older generartions rather than pillars of the punk scene.

When I was a kid going to my first gigs I'd see alot of punk bands like Rancid who were my first big gig and especially Gallows who I think I managed to see them something like 10-20 times before Frank quit and I remember telling my gig going Aunt and Uncle who were og punks about who I was seeing. They had written most of it off as pop-punk and jokingly mocked it wasn't real punk like what they listen to such as Cock Sparrer, The Meteors and Anti-Nowhere League. 

It's the same with us mocking Yungblud isn't? 

Absolutely. ‘NOFX? That’s not punk!’ 

Punks are a bit like metal fans in that nobody hates their own favourite genre than fans of their own favourite genre. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jump said:

This is a surprising take from you since you keep defending Maneskin as the future of rock because the industry is willing to push them regardless of them just being whacky Eurotrash shit rather than the next great rock band.

I mean all acts get pushed by their label, but maneskin have managed to find some crossover success across the world. Yungblud’s market appears to be 14 year olds in UK schools in their angst stage. Can’t see much appeal for him outside of this.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I mean all acts get pushed by their label, but maneskin have managed to find some crossover success across the world. Yungblud’s market appears to be 14 year olds in UK schools in their angst stage. Can’t see much appeal for him outside of this.

I wouldn’t say Maneskin are crossover at all. They aren’t like Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Green Day who spent ages in rock circles and then went mainstream. Maneskin’s popularity is largely based on winning a campy singing contest at a time when no one was allowed to do much else than stay at home and watch tv.

I never really understood why acts need to be crossover to be big. I saw Tool not too long ago play in a sold out arena on a tour bigger than a lot of household names. Acts should be finding and connecting to their audiences more than anything else even if it is rubbish like Yungblud playing to a bunch a tweens rather than worrying about if Karen in HR or your Gran knows them too as it’s not like they would going to the gig or buying a band hoodie anyway. There’s a famous expression like “If you try to appeal to everyone, you will appeal to no one." which sums it up for me.

Edited by jump

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

He's worked his bollocks off like his team have to be where they are. He's one of the soundest lads ive ever spoken to. Oh as for ticket sales...fucking shit loads. 10k Ally Pally, new album on the way, something i wont put on here as well. Kids gonna be a megastar.

Edited by wghennessy

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I mean if we ignore selling out 6k venues in the States then sure. Nothing but UK school kids.

24 minutes ago, VCK said:

The Pistols were always industry plants, I thought this was common knowledge. Good band, but not on the level of their contemporaries like The Clash, The Jam and The Specials.

Saw The Specials in York in 2019. Totally different gig to what I’m used to but it was superb to just sit and watch them reel off song after song with absolute ease. Terry Hall was surprisingly down to Earth afterwards signing autographs and chatting with the few of us that stayed behind, thought he’d be a right nob head.

8 hours ago, VCK said:

The Pistols were always industry plants, I thought this was common knowledge. Good band, but not on the level of their contemporaries like The Clash, The Jam and The Specials.

Nothing beats The Clash as the best og punk band from that time although The Damned and Ramones are up there too for me. 

I’ve always rated Stiff Little Fingers as one of the most overlooked bands from that time. I’ve seen them a few times even though they are decades past their peak and now look like your Grandad rather than ageless rockstars like Billy Idol however they are really good at talking with sincerity and emotion to connect with the crowd and then making noise as they blast through a few bangers like Suspect Device, Alternative Ulster or Barbed Wire Loved which after writing that I realise how relevant their lyrics still are given what's going on with Northern Ireland.

Edited by jump

4 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Sam Fender subbing glasto, imo he's 99% headlining this next year whether that's MSE or MSW depends if he releases a few new tunes 

Yup. Absolutely nailed on, ticks all the boxes

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Yungblud's label dropping him 😂

It simply isnt happening. They have big plans and one of them isn't being dropped.

I remember when i had a video call with him once. I said I would make sure i bought a ticket to his show and immediately him and his team loudly shouted me down and insisted they'd make sure i would never have to pay. They were adamant as well. He then posed for pictures for my kids. No media op, No social media shit, no one but my family have the pics.

Give him a shot is all ill say.