2023 Festival

TheWaters

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm not saying he can't - i'm just confused why he bothered staying when he clearly wasn't enjoying it 😂

Could’ve wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt? Didn’t want to be separated from friends? Or maybe they wanted to see if they could possibly be that shit for an entire set 😂

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Could’ve wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt? Didn’t want to be separated from friends? Or maybe they wanted to see if they could possibly be that shit for an entire set 😂

I guess back then losing your mates was a bit less simple than a quick whatsapp message.

A lot of people enjoy RHCP and the festival will definitely book them again at some point - their fans will buy day tickets and weekend tickets won't know how bad their live show is renowned for being (a lot of people do like jam bands to be fair, its more of a US thing though).

1 hour ago, gfa said:

If it was the most tedious 90 minutes then why didn't you just leave after a few songs? Plenty of people enjoyed it but you just want to complain about it!

Not many around us were enjoying it. Everyone was whining away, if you search on here you’ll not find many (any) who did, it’s widely considered one of the worst Reading headline sets of all time 

Cant remember who was in the tent but I imagine I’d already put up a good fight to go and see them with my mates even before RHCP kicked off but they weren’t intriguing enough to go to solo  

Re staying- you assume they’re gonna get good at some point, it was one of those sets that got worse and worse as it went on. I think yet another critique of that night was they didnt play Under the bridge. There was one girl near us who only turned up to see them and really wanted to hear it. Even she, a superfan, said they were awful

Yet ANOTHER bad thing about there being no big tent, two less options when RHCP next headline 😬

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Those were the days. "Everyone meet at the ferris wheel before [band] come on!" 

Was right of the sound tower thing for us back in the day.

The day being pre 2000 as opposed to 2007 though

6 hours ago, Benj said:

Just had a look at the 2007 lineup and the other options were

The View, Hot Hot Heat or Unkle

the latter two would’ve been much better watches in retrospect but not much of a draw at the time 

I'm someone who will defend RHCP live and even I would've seen Unkle. Saw James on his own rather than MCR at LR'11

On 4/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, Andre91 said:

Noodle City at the back of the Main Stage is our regular meeting point at Leeds. Good food too. 

By the ice cream can left side of MSE is ours, good for mixers and not much else.

The Yorkshire pudding van is hands down the best food, they must take a good £50 off me every weekend.

What artists that haven't played for a while that aren't headliners does everyone think will show up?

Everything Everything's new album is sounding very good so far and they were great at the Roundhouse last week. Courteeners in a special guest slot?

5 hours ago, gfa said:

What artists that haven't played for a while that aren't headliners does everyone think will show up?

Everything Everything's new album is sounding very good so far and they were great at the Roundhouse last week. Courteeners in a special guest slot?

The Vaccines haven’t played since 2018. They must be due next year. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The Vaccines haven’t played since 2018. They must be due next year. 

With so much less space on the lineups now, I think we’ll see bigger gaps. 

Days of Wombats playing 2/3 years + are long gone.

Likes of the Vaccines etc… once a shoe in every 2/3 years, 3rd, 4th down main, Top of the tent, are now scrambling over  6 slots/ 6 as opposed to 6/12. 

Hadn’t thought of the band angle the second stage going but it’ll be one less show competing for them that weekend compared to the old days.

Maybe even more savings for FR!

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Likes of the Vaccines etc… once a shoe in every 2/3 years, 3rd, 4th down main, Top of the tent, are now scrambling over  6 slots/ 6 as opposed to 6/12. 

Hadn’t thought of the band angle the second stage going but it’ll be one less show competing for them that weekend compared to the old days.

Unfortunately, I think that The Wombats will still show up with just as much regularity.  

Vaccines haven’t played a tent since 2011. They’re Main Stage fodder for sure and could still play every 3 years or so. 

42 minutes ago, Benj said:

Imo theres more slots for a band like the wombats. They were never going to headline R1 lets be real, so they currently have 3/4/5th that are all quite possible. Acts that are too small to headline but too big for R1 have more options now i'd say.

The Vaccines new album is also really good.

Edited by gfa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Imo theres more slots for a band like the wombats. They were never going to headline R1 lets be real, so they currently have 3/4/5th that are all quite possible. Acts that are too small to headline but too big for R1 have more options now i'd say.

The Vaccines new album is also really good.

Vaccines could’ve deffo have headlined the tent this year I think, they’re no bigger than Bastille were in 2018

Wombats so-so, I reckon depends who they’re up against

These types of bands won’t be getting back to back slots any more though with just 14 slots available for all large acts a day

12 hours ago, Benj said:

Vaccines could’ve deffo have headlined the tent this year I think, they’re no bigger than Bastille were in 2018

Wombats so-so, I reckon depends who they’re up against

These types of bands won’t be getting back to back slots any more though with just 14 slots available for all large acts a day

Theres no point putting the Wombats (didn't really mean vaccines, they are a bit smaller) in the tent, probably both though. Lots of people are always going to want to see them at 6-7pm it just makes no sense. Not sure why they put Bastille in it either honestly, they are w*nk sure but so accessible for audiences.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Theres no point putting the Wombats (didn't really mean vaccines, they are a bit smaller) in the tent, probably both though. Lots of people are always going to want to see them at 6-7pm it just makes no sense. Not sure why they put Bastille in it either honestly, they are w*nk sure but so accessible for audiences.

Was just to prove the point that these bands won’t be on a rolling schedule to appear, as they once were, with the fewer available slots

Vaccines would’ve been decent counter programming to Dave I reckon for the dads/ dark fruiters. Instead there’s nowhere on the lineup to squeeze them in.

If you insist they have to play the main, then Little Simz / Glass Animals headlines the tent and they a slot in 3rd on main, point is, there’s far less spots for regular returnees