Jump to content

2023 Festival


TheWaters
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, gfa said:

They subbed MSW to be fair, honestly the crowd they draw year in year out warrants a sub spot anyway. If they took a 2 year break off playing R&L and didn't do massive tours of the UK every year then they would certainly take higher spots.

Yeah TDCC probably have the greater appeal as they hardly tour these days so them playing was bit of a rarity. It’ll probably be two or three years before The Wombats are back at R&L now, we might be able to retire the joke for a bit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 12:27 AM, Benj said:

Cinnamon will be forgotten ala Jake Bugg within 2 years. 
 

he’s got no where to go with that sound

Gerry is too popular to go the way of Jake Bugg, the worst he will do is be a Courteeners type and have a huge following outside of London.

He's sold out Hampden Park on his name alone next year and was previously selling out every tour he put on for the past 2/3 years and I would say that was before the mainstream really knew who he was, if the mainstream press even do now. 2 of those tours he sold out were arena's mainly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 3:28 AM, metallimuse said:

Gerry is too popular to go the way of Jake Bugg, the worst he will do is be a Courteeners type and have a huge following outside of London.

He's sold out Hampden Park on his name alone next year and was previously selling out every tour he put on for the past 2/3 years and I would say that was before the mainstream really knew who he was, if the mainstream press even do now. 2 of those tours he sold out were arena's mainly. 

Guess we’ll see. He could hang about as a live event if the show is that good (didn’t see him at Reading so can’t comment on that front), I just can’t se with with his style of music, assume it will suddenly be completely unhip at some point but willing to admit I may well be wrong!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 10:02 PM, Benj said:

Guess we’ll see. He could hang about as a live event if the show is that good (didn’t see him at Reading so can’t comment on that front), I just can’t se with with his style of music, assume it will suddenly be completely unhip at some point but willing to admit I may well be wrong!

Unlike Jake Bugg, Gerry has the dark fruits crowd on his side and, as we've seen with Courteeners, that will keep you going for years if you can tap into it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, metallimuse said:

Gerry is too popular to go the way of Jake Bugg, the worst he will do is be a Courteeners type and have a huge following outside of London.

He's sold out Hampden Park on his name alone next year and was previously selling out every tour he put on for the past 2/3 years and I would say that was before the mainstream really knew who he was, if the mainstream press even do now. 2 of those tours he sold out were arena's mainly. 

Gerry is probably already more popular than Courteeners down South, he's sold out ally pally vs a non sold out brixton for courteeners. I saw him at Community in 2018 or 2019 and even then before some of his newer stuff the crowd was going crazy for him. Really humble guy too, very likeable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Dua Lipa x Lil Nas X 

Paramore x Sam Fender 

Metallica x YUNGBLUD 

Alternatively, I can definitely see The 1975 topping MSE if Metallica aren’t available. 

Probably another indie act honestly - unless the undercard is stacked just Sam Fender won't cut it I think. Paramore surely MSW also, they haven't grown since they last played and if anything have faded.

As much as RHCP are hated I think they would round out the lineup better than Metallica - or another classic rock/indie act maybe Killers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, VCK said:

Billie Eilish / The Strokes

Royal Blood / Doja Cat

My Chemical Romance / Sam Fender

Can’t see Royal Blood ever topping the bill outright now, a decent MSW draw but surely the new format demands 3 much bigger names

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Can’t see Royal Blood ever topping the bill outright now, a decent MSW draw but surely the new format demands 3 much bigger names

I think at this point they've more than earned their shot at it. Three consecutive number one albums, we've had headliners in the past who have achieved less. I'm also sure they'd be a bigger draw than RATM will be this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, VCK said:

I think at this point they've more than earned their shot at it. Three consecutive number one albums, we've had headliners in the past who have achieved less. I'm also sure they'd be a bigger draw than RATM will be this year.

Number one albums are a complete irrelevance in this day and age. Other number ones this year/ recently amongst Reading fodder. The Snuts, The Lathums, KSI, Inhaler, Tom Grennan, Slowthai, YMAS, Yungblud, Architects, Headie One, Wolf Alice, Foo fighters, BMTH, Biffy, Rodrigo, Dave, Fender. 

Some valid, some not.

A good solid choice no doubt but it looks like they’re going for BIG names for East and solid performers for West. 

If BMTH aren’t East, neither are Royal Blood. They’re fellow number one winners but have over 2x as many Spotify listeners. As do RATM, despite not releasing anything in 20 years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Benj said:

Number one albums are a complete irrelevance in this day and age. Other number ones this year/ recently amongst Reading fodder. The Snuts, The Lathums, KSI, Inhaler, Tom Grennan, Slowthai, YMAS, Yungblud, Architects, Headie One, Wolf Alice, Foo fighters, BMTH, Biffy, Rodrigo, Dave, Fender. 

Some valid, some not.

A good solid choice no doubt but it looks like they’re going for BIG names for East and solid performers for West. 

If BMTH aren’t East, neither are Royal Blood. They’re fellow number one winners but have over 2x as many Spotify listeners. As do RATM, despite not releasing anything in 20 years

Fair points, but you of course have to take into account that BMTH and RATM have sizeable followings overseas compared to Royal Blood, and I can imagine that puts their Spotify listeners up. Half those acts you listen haven't (yet) played high Main Stage slots at R&L yet, but Royal Blood have twice, and I feel the organisers have been grooming them to eventually headline one day.

R&L definitely need a new-ish rock act to push up to headline to freshen things up on the rock front. The only headliner over the past five years who fit that criteria are The 1975. In that time period, meanwhile, we've Kasabian, Muse, Fall Out Boy, Kings Of Leon, Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher and now Arctics and Rage, all acts who have been in the game well over a decade, nearly three in the case of Foos and Liam. I can't think of anyone better for that than Royal Blood.

Edited by VCK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, VCK said:

Fair points, but you of course have to take into account that BMTH and RATM have sizeable followings overseas compared to Royal Blood, and I can imagine that puts their Spotify listeners up. Half those acts you listen haven't (yet) played high Main Stage slots at R&L yet, but Royal Blood have twice, and I feel the organisers have been grooming them to eventually headline one day.

R&L definitely need a new-ish rock act to push up to headline to freshen things up on the rock front. The only headliner over the past five years who fit that criteria are The 1975. In that time period, meanwhile, we've Kasabian, Muse, Fall Out Boy, Kings Of Leon, Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher and now Arctics and Rage, all acts who have been in the game well over a decade, nearly three in the case of Foos and Liam. I can't think of anyone better for that than Royal Blood.

Possibly and the play numbers on their most recent record are decent to be fair, suggesting they’re still very much putting out new output people are interested in. They just seem perfect MSW headliners to me though, at this point anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, VCK said:

Fair points, but you of course have to take into account that BMTH and RATM have sizeable followings overseas compared to Royal Blood, and I can imagine that puts their Spotify listeners up. Half those acts you listen haven't (yet) played high Main Stage slots at R&L yet, but Royal Blood have twice, and I feel the organisers have been grooming them to eventually headline one day.

R&L definitely need a new-ish rock act to push up to headline to freshen things up on the rock front. The only headliner over the past five years who fit that criteria are The 1975. In that time period, meanwhile, we've Kasabian, Muse, Fall Out Boy, Kings Of Leon, Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher and now Arctics and Rage, all acts who have been in the game well over a decade, nearly three in the case of Foos and Liam. I can't think of anyone better for that than Royal Blood.

Got to agree with Benji in saying that if BMTH aren’t East headliners then neither are Royal Blood. Think they’d defo headline West though and they probably will. Not sure how well the Royal Blood arena tour is selling and I’d assume that’ll have bearing on their slot. I’d also say it impacts on who is around, there isn’t going to be headliners as big as Dave/AM/RATM touring every year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Royal Blood don't have a huge following among younger people - that extra push is needed to get to MSE. RATM have the exclusivity/rarity factor to keep them there and AM are obviously still massive among huge young people.

I reckon Sam Fender (not a band but someone mentioned Liam before) is more likely to do it on his next album than Royal Blood or even Catfish if they stick around. I cannot see Royal Blood ever getting to MSE headliner honestly - they just don't have the backing of the Reading audience as much as acts like Sam Fender. A good example is 1975 who did take a few albums to get there but are blatantly for the Reading audience vs Royal Blood who are more 20-30+ year olds.

I honestly don't think people are too bothered about new bands playing MSE (and thats what is good about MSW really as it gives the slot to bands who insist on headlining but aren't yet big enough to e.g. BMTH and Catfish).

As evident from this year with RATM and AM, two big name rock acts are possible within the festival's budget and theres no doubt ticket buyers would prefer two big name rock acts to do MSE than one big name and someone who's been pushed up - plus obviously it sells more day tickets too.

I've said quite a lot here and no doubt people will disagree with bits of this post, but interested to see people's thoughts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Travis surely has to be out of the running for a while. 

Even if he's back in the running he's insanely expensive so unless his fee drops potentially his time may have been and gone. If they have the choice of bringing Post Malone back or booking him, i think we all know which way it will go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...