2023 Festival

TheWaters

16 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I'd say the same for Blossoms after they subbed MSW in MGK's absence last year.

Purely on the basis that the Sunday is far too good to be true I'd say it's off.

Blossoms played 6th last year, on before Wolf Alice and Yungblud, so that would be one step up.

Edited by Benj

Don't know enough about modern chart music to make good full lineup predictions, more interested in what "harder" rock / metal headliners have a chance of making it in for a day. 

I think we'll get Muse or Green Day. 6 and 10 year gap respectively. 

Metallica would be "due" but will likely play Download if anything. 

Foos, who knows after the Hawkins tragedy, I think they'll take a while off.

Slipknot are Download mainstays, no chance. 

QOTSA have Josh's legal battle, there's a chance they might not even be a band soon.

Biffy are a possibility but only just played last year.

Running out of other realistic options. 

55 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Don't know enough about modern chart music to make good full lineup predictions, more interested in what "harder" rock / metal headliners have a chance of making it in for a day. 

QOTSA have Josh's legal battle, there's a chance they might not even be a band soon.

Foos won't be back for a while regardless - played pretty recently.

On the back of my Killers beg, if anyone's not listened to them since their Hot Fuss / Sam's Town heyday, they've had some real low-key bangers since then. Stick Quiet Town, Cody, Dying Breed, Caution and Runaways in a playlist with the classics and you've got a great setlist. 

4 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I'd say the same for Blossoms after they subbed MSW in MGK's absence last year.

Purely on the basis that the Sunday is far too good to be true I'd say it's off.

Blossoms didn't sub, MGK was going to sub Leeds and Yungblud sub Reading (alternating with 3rd down).

MGK pulled out so Blossoms replaced them for 3rd on both sites.

4 hours ago, BenG92 said:

I really can't see Greenday appearing again tbh, not for a long time anyway. Current music does nothing and hasn't really got the cult following bands like Foos and Rage have. I'd put them in the same collection as My Chemical Romance, and Fallout Boy.

I think Fallout Boy is more likely of them 3 to show up.

30 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I really can't see Greenday appearing again tbh, not for a long time anyway. Current music does nothing and hasn't really got the cult following bands like Foos and Rage have. I'd put them in the same collection as My Chemical Romance, and Fallout Boy.

No joke, Green Day barely even play any their new music. On their current tour they've been playing one song off revolution radio, nothing from the newest (abysmal) album and nothing from uno, dos or tre. They're a hits band and they have a lot. I think they could get away with a slot when they don't play here much at all. 

46 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

No joke, Green Day barely even play any their new music. On their current tour they've been playing one song off revolution radio, nothing from the newest (abysmal) album and nothing from uno, dos or tre. They're a hits band and they have a lot. I think they could get away with a slot when they don't play here much at all. 

In fairness, they're one of those bands that stay centralised within their core demographic. Their hits are the only ones that are known widely. American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake me up at the end of September, Jesus of Suburbia...

Same as MCR - Welcome to the Black Parade, and Teenagers. Listening to the Yungblud song about funerals, I thought it had exactly the same vibes as them two.

2 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

In fairness, they're one of those bands that stay centralised within their core demographic. Their hits are the only ones that are known widely. American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake me up at the end of September, Jesus of Suburbia...

Same as MCR - Welcome to the Black Parade, and Teenagers. Listening to the Yungblud song about funerals, I thought it had exactly the same vibes as them two.

That’s the same for any massive band you can name though. That’s why they’re called hits. 

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That’s the same for any massive band you can name though. That’s why they’re called hits. 

You know what I meant with what was said. Arctic Monkeys hits are Mardy Bum, Look Good on the Dance Floor etc - they are still known for their new album four stars out of five, base tranquility hotel etc.

Kanye West is known for Gold Digger, Through the Wire, Watch the Throne. People still know about his new music Donda, Real Friends, Ultralight Beam.

Green Day don't have that. People ONLY know 4 or 5 songs from 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

I put it in the wrong place on that one. Lewis Capaldi 3rd down - aside from the jokes on Twitter he isn't really making moves. Asap will sub. BBK in there too, I meant it being Skepta, not BBK!

No way is Capaldi 5th down either, maybe move him to 4th and push down Charli XCX.

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

You know what I meant with what was said. Arctic Monkeys hits are Mardy Bum, Look Good on the Dance Floor etc - they are still known for their new album four stars out of five, base tranquility hotel etc.

Kanye West is known for Gold Digger, Through the Wire, Watch the Throne. People still know about his new music Donda, Real Friends, Ultralight Beam.

Arctic Monkeys are an awful example for recent album being big - so many people shun it and the songs were a snoozefest live.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Your first two AM examples are from over 15 years ago and the Tranquility Base stuff is not as well known as those tracks, so they aren’t in the same bracket. 

Kanye isn’t comparable as he’s one of the biggest artists in the world in one for the biggest, most mainstream genres. 

Green Day are still one of the biggest rock bands on the planet and have the appeal to go down well at R&L. They might only have a handful of ubiquitous songs that will be know by the most casual of casuals but their crowd wouldn’t be made up of only the most casual of casuals. They would attract day tickets, like all headliners do. 

Green Day are no less suited to R&L these days than Foo Fighters are. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

deffo some bad examples there

MCR only have 3 LPs with hits across them all

Greenday also have Basket Case, Redundant, Welcome to Paradise, nice guys, good riddence, minority etc

Even older but they’re off a wide variety of records

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Try 13 + covers. Same hits they've been playing for those (nearly) 20 years since American Idiot.

Edited by BenG92