2023 Festival

TheWaters

6 hours ago, gfa said:

People have probably been saying this for the past 10 years. The festival is clearly swerving them for whatever reason or maybe they've just not been about late august in Europe. They've had plenty of chances to book them but haven't for whatever reason.

The fest has booked other bands that the festival had supposedly been swerving according to this forum: KOL and RHCP

they've also not played in europe in late summer since 2008 which was the last time theyve played

Matt Healy confirmed to Rolling Stones 1975 will tour UK next year, but also said, “I want people to feel like they’re in a little theatre as opposed to an IMAX" about the tour. 

Doesn't scream a production that is fit for an R+L headline slot to me, but of course Healy talks bollocks all the time so won't be surprised if first night of tour there's flashing lights and streamers and those dancers are back. 

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I... I mean, I like Gorillaz, but not convinced they would be a particular success. Wouldn't say that, for an artists whose commercial vintage is a decade-and-a-half ago, give or take, they have the hits to fill a headline set that would appeal to an R+L crowd as of now. Five years ago, would have thought them a slam-dunk booking.

But just have this horrible sense they'd get up there and promptly go down like a lead balloon despite the backlog of tunes they have.

better choice than QOTSA/Biffy lets be honest. Gorillaz appeal to the older crowd but also have good natural appeal to younger people

8 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

The Strokes?

Is Paolo Nutini sub level as well, ik it’s in Glasgow but he looked rammed for TRNSMT

Waste of a slot at Reading, the majority of the crowd would never have heard of him and 50% who had wouldn’t give the slightest of fucks (me included. Don’t think he’s shit, just have no desire to see him live whatsoever)

I really can’t see Gorillaz doing it, just think there’s so many more acts R&L would book above them.

Paolo definitely wouldn’t, he’ll do his own shows and festivals like Glasto/IOW.

The Strokes could do it but again like The Killers the band will have plenty of other options and R&L will have acts above them they want to book. 

I’m thinking the most likely headliners will be between The 1975, Kasabian, Sam Fender, Doja Cat, Dua Lipa, Paramore, MCR, Blink-182 (rumour has it Tom is coming back), Machine Gun Kelly, Olivia Rodrigo, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem (only due to rumours of a tour next year) & Post Malone (new album and R&L love him). They could do The Killers or Muse but I think all the artists above will be ahead in what they want to booking. 

1 hour ago, foolee said:

The Strokes could do it but again like The Killers the band will have plenty of other options and R&L will have acts above them they want to book. 

Not that many options really given they had no england date bar Lytham after whatever it was meant to be fell through. Could see them at IOW

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Not that many options really given they had no england date bar Lytham after whatever it was meant to be fell through. Could see them at IOW

Possibly not but could see them doing BST/IOW/APE and possibly even Latitude. Not sure R&L would be too bothered about booking them. 

15 hours ago, gfa said:

better choice than QOTSA/Biffy lets be honest. Gorillaz appeal to the older crowd but also have good natural appeal to younger people

Fair point. Would definitely concur they'd go over better than Blur.

Starting to think Fender could be a lock. Should be a top-end headliner too, at that.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Starting to think Fender could be a lock. Should be a top-end headliner too, at that.

Yeah can easily see Fender headlining MSW next year as an exclusive, possibly even bumping up to MSE.

Maybe a Strokes/Fender top two for the “Indie” day next year.

7 hours ago, Huwey said:

Chances of the Prodigy? Just started fat of the land 25th anniversary tour, main stage west ?

not popular enough with the crowd. kind of act that would have done a secret set in R1/headlined r1 though. not sure they are MSW headline size now without Keith to be honest, they need to work up the bills again i'd argue similar to how Kasabian did this summer (before they no doubt do a headline slot at Reading or somewhere again)

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

They'd be stupid not to get fender 

37 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Yeah can easily see Fender headlining MSW next year as an exclusive, possibly even bumping up to MSE.

Maybe a Strokes/Fender top two for the “Indie” day next year.

Fender North / Strokes South might not be the worst idea. they're pretty even on size i reckon now

46 minutes ago, gfa said:

not popular enough with the crowd. kind of act that would have done a secret set in R1/headlined r1 though. not sure they are MSW headline size now without Keith to be honest, they need to work up the bills again i'd argue similar to how Kasabian did this summer (before they no doubt do a headline slot at Reading or somewhere again)

Fender North / Strokes South might not be the worst idea. they're pretty even on size i reckon now

Fender did sell out Finsbury Park, reckon he could do both

21 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Fender did sell out Finsbury Park, reckon he could do both

I agree, was just saying it as strokes are a similar size so might be a better setup (and i'd like to see them close reading, bun fender)

2 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

But the North wants The Strokes as well

I meant swap who ends the night like co-headliners that were similar sizes used to, not have them only play one site

18 hours ago, gfa said:

Fender isn’t just a big in the north thing, crowd last year wasn’t courteeners like

17 minutes ago, Benj said:

Fender isn’t just a big in the north thing, crowd last year wasn’t courteeners like

Of course not, was more suggesting it because they are similar size and it makes more sense for him to end in the north than the south + strokes ended south before

On 7/14/2022 at 11:39 AM, Benj said:

Fenders legacy at the festival would be much greater if he does MSW next year and then steps up to MSE in 3 or 4 years.

If he went straight in to the Friday slot on MSE, it would he deserved but a little underwhelming and he would always have that cloud hanging over his name, a bit like when Fallout Boy, 21 Pilots, Liam Gallagher etc were announced (granted LG was a household name but as part of Oasis).