2023 Festival

TheWaters

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Those chemtrails are mental, too. 

You said the exact same about Aitch and Ardee.

I'd love to know how acts with no history, release their first song that barely charts but they get 24/7 radio coverage, constant features on tv and radio shows, instant main stages at festivals like R&L booked before they'd even released label albums.

20 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I'd love to know how acts with no history, release their first song that barely charts but they get 24/7 radio coverage, constant features on tv and radio shows, instant main stages at festivals like R&L booked before they'd even released label albums.

One of the joys of getting old is discovering that there is new music which you don't understand! 😜 

There are always new acts breaking through all of the time but it's not because Yungblud or whoever are part of a sinister conspiracy where the lizard people are working with QAnon to brainwash people into buying albums or have a song on loop on Spotify for the evil purpose of bumping them up a few slots at a shit music festival. They were given a shot, smashed it and from there the ball got rolling so they take another step which makes them connect with more people, then they take another step.

For as many Wet Leg or Yungbluds there are loads more acts given a similar shot but it doesn't work for whatever reason so the momentum never starts for them. Music is fickle, there's no formula to become successful especially with indie/alt type acts.

Edited by jump

40 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

YUNGBLUD played the main stage for the first time in 2019 with 2 EPs and an album under his belt. 

Aitch did the same last year with 3 albums and a load of mixtapes & EPs out. 

Arctic Monkeys sub headlined with one album out. The Darkness and The Strokes both headlined with one album apiece. It’s not like R&L hasn’t got history with striking with massively popular acts whilst the iron is hot. They’ve always done it. 

14 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Wet Leg are the same industry plants as Yungblud. He was playing 3rd down when he had 3 songs I think? Hope for the underrated youth, cotton candy, I think I'm okay...

Its manufactured consent. They have family friendly genre plants and force them in to out vision, and give them artificially inflated places on line ups so that the paying public think they're bigger than they are, so next time they're put headlining we shrug our shoulders, hand over our cash and say "it was coming they played 3rd last time"

What? Yungblud had a full album and a couple of loosies before any of those 3 songs you mentioned were released 

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

YUNGBLUD played the main stage for the first time in 2019 with 2 EPs and an album under his belt. 

Aitch did the same last year with 3 albums and a load of mixtapes & EPs out. 

Arctic Monkeys sub headlined with one album out. The Darkness and The Strokes both headlined with one album apiece. It’s not like R&L hasn’t got history with striking with massively popular acts whilst the iron is hot. They’ve always done it. 

Always remember Razorlight headlining in 07 and Franz Ferdinand the year before 😂 mad to think about now considering they're half way down festival bills

Edited by Dukey

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think Chad needs to brush up on his Yungblud knowledge 😂

Saw Yungblud in the FR tent in 2018/ 2019 or whenever it was and it was clear there was something about him. (He also had at least 5-6 songs on Spotify back then!)

It’s not slightly surprising he blew up, or indeed a record label pumped a load of money in, as pretty much as cert a ROI you’re gonna get in music

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yungblud is fairly sizable, isn't he? Even over the sound of my double hip replacement, I think I know that.

We say that, he has none stop airtime, he gets high placings at festivals, he has good crowds at his shows...

But nobody buys his music, nobody streams his songs, nobody watches his videos. His highest charting song barely broke in to the top 40. His album hit Number 1 on only 100,000 streams. Didn't get even close to Platinum.

Compare that to say 21 Pilots (similar demographic fans) whose debut commercial album sold 4 times as many copies and hit Platinum easily. 3 of their 5 singles being top 5.

People are going to his concerts and he is constantly shoved in our faces on radio, tv, festival lineups but why aren't they listening to his music?

29 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

We say that, he has none stop airtime, he gets high placings at festivals, he has good crowds at his shows...

But nobody buys his music, nobody streams his songs, nobody watches his videos. His highest charting song barely broke in to the top 40. His album hit Number 1 on only 100,000 streams. Didn't get even close to Platinum.

Compare that to say 21 Pilots (similar demographic fans) whose debut commercial album sold 4 times as many copies and hit Platinum easily. 3 of their 5 singles being top 5.

People are going to his concerts and he is constantly shoved in our faces on radio, tv, festival lineups but why aren't they listening to his music?

7.4 million monthly listeners

vs Wolf Alice’s 2.2 million

RATM 8.5

1975 9.4

BMTH 11.4

His most listened to song has as many streams as BMTH’s, which is from 10 or so years back

This is before TikTok, Instagram, YouTube 

People are listening to his music, just not in the ways youve used to measure it, He’s very much a modern artist, appealing to a modern crowd

Edited by Benj

9 minutes ago, Benj said:

7.4 million monthly listeners

vs Wolf Alice’s 2.2 million

RATM 8.5

1975 9.4

BMTH 11.4

His most listened to song has as many streams as BMTH’s, which is from 10 or so years back

This is before TikTok, Instagram, YouTube 

People are listening to his music, just not in the ways you use to traditionally measure it

Those Spotify listeners are Machine Gun Kellys (who's a big deal in the US). Because Yungblud featured on I think I'm okay, they get counted towards his monthly listeners and stats. Spotify streams for himself get counted towards the UK chart, same as Youtube views. 

He only gets those numbers because he is hanging on the coat tails of MGK. His most listened to song has 5 times fewer streams than Wolf Alice (your example) most streamed song.

Like MTS, people were trying to say "50 million monthly listeners" ... no, her own stuff was only getting 2-3m, but her feature with Cardi B got hundreds of millions which boosted her numbers.

Edited by Chad888

2 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Those Spotify listeners are Machine Gun Kellys (who's a big deal in the US). Because Yungblud featured on I think I'm okay, they get counted towards his monthly listeners and stats. Spotify streams for himself get counted towards the UK chart, same as Youtube views. 

He only gets those numbers because he is hanging on the coat tails of MGK. His most listened to song has 5 times fewer streams than Wolf Alice (your example) most streamed song.

Like MTS, people were trying to say "50 million monthly listeners" ... no, her own stuff was only getting 2-3m, but her feature with Cardi B got hundreds of millions which boosted her numbers.

It makes no difference, it’s why he’s big, it’s why MTS is big, people know them, people want to see them

His own most listened to song, Parents has 239,000,000 listens. 

Don’t delete the kisses has 57,000,00

Funeral has 12,000,000 despite coming out a couple of months ago

Smile has 18,000,000 despite coming out over a year ago

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Are Twenty One Pilots still a thing? Know one of them climbed a rig the other day at a festival, but no idea on their size anymore.

I saw them at Werchter (where Tyler climbed the rig) and was only a casual fan beforehand but they put on a headline-worthy performance for sure. They have the singalongs that everyone knows but thier back catalogue is solid too. 

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

You’re mental. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Are Twenty One Pilots still a thing? Know one of them climbed a rig the other day at a festival, but no idea on their size anymore.

They do this everywhere, did it at Sziget in 2019 and i believe r/l two weeks later as well. Definitely put on a headline set even if they are a bit w*nk 😂

Yungblud is not near their size yet, he's lacking enough of those big singalongs. Definitely would bring out some good guests i reckon (well for the crowd at least!)

20 minutes ago, gfa said:

They do this everywhere, did it at Sziget in 2019 and i believe r/l two weeks later as well. Definitely put on a headline set even if they are a bit w*nk 😂

Yungblud is not near their size yet, he's lacking enough of those big singalongs. Definitely would bring out some good guests i reckon (well for the crowd at least!)

I took this in the R1 tent in 2016 when they had a specific tower for him to climb in the crowd* Also seem to remember them getting into a zorb ball and running over the crowd?

*Not a phone in sight etc etc

image.thumb.jpeg.d05516e4e2a82a1c470d493c66ee336d.jpeg

Edited by andyrhodes24

I saw Pilots at the Wembley Arena show and it was one of the best shows I've seen since live music started up again. Missed Guns for Hands out but that's my only gripe.

They were miles better than Post Malone when they co-headlined in 2019 anyway, definitely have them back.

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

I saw Pilots at the Wembley Arena show and it was one of the best shows I've seen since live music started up again. Missed Guns for Hands out but that's my only gripe.

They were miles better than Post Malone when they co-headlined in 2019 anyway, definitely have them back.

They were fantastic headlining in 2019 and I don’t even particularly like them. 

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They were fantastic headlining in 2019 and I don’t even particularly like them. 

I think bands making their first headlining slot when there are questions over whether they are really ready seem to put on the best shows, probably because they're really working for it to prove their place.

Biffy 2013, 1975 2019, Foals 2016, QOTSA & Paramore 2014, Kasabian 2012, 21P 2019.

The worst are those bands that are big and think just showing up is enough for the fans. RHCP 16, KOL 18, Libertines 15...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I think bands making their first headlining slot when there are questions over whether they are really ready seem to put on the best shows, probably because they're really working for it to prove their place.

Biffy 2013, 1975 2019, Foals 2016, QOTSA & Paramore 2014, Kasabian 2012, 21P 2019.

The worst are those bands that are big and think just showing up is enough for the fans. RHCP 16, KOL 18, Libertines 15...

Mad how it took Kasabian till 2012 - if they were rising up now with those releases it would be far quicker. I guess theres less competition now but still

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

Mad how it took Kasabian till 2012 - if they were rising up now with those releases it would be far quicker. I guess theres less competition now but still

Look how long its taken BMTH. Christ, I remember everyone in secondary school belting out Club Foot back in '04. Its mental that was their first proper single, it distorts at that age when you see an act everywhere you think back that they were absolutely insanely huge at that point.

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Biffy Clyro seem to play like every festival headline slot is their last these days. That's the kind of energy you want, to be honest.

In terms of lengthy ascents, would argue Kasabian edge BMTH since the latter "broke out" - we are seven years on from That's the Spirit at Reading and Leeds, which felt a bit like the live shows/exposure that helped make them. (It's where I first caught them and thought they looked good.)