2023 Festival

TheWaters

1 hour ago, TKOCF said:

Complete outside shout for headliner. How about Frank Ocean? Rumoured for Coachella next year. Would be an absolutely massive get, not played in the U.K. since 2017.

He’d certainly go down a storm at a festival like Parklife but is he too big for them?

Would be good

Guess it doesn’t mean he can’t as appeal to a different audience but it’s hard to see Harry Styles being booked for Reading given the demographic going to see him at Old Trafford. 

Deffo no groups of lads out for a fun old time

Charlie Vietch- 

6 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Complete outside shout for headliner. How about Frank Ocean? Rumoured for Coachella next year. Would be an absolutely massive get, not played in the U.K. since 2017.

He’d certainly go down a storm at a festival like Parklife but is he too big for them?

Much higher chance of having Tyler the Creator MSE  and Earl Sweatshirt 1extra tbh.

Frank's quite expensive and doesn't really fit the vibe -more a Glastonbury chill out vibe.

5 hours ago, Benj said:

Guess it doesn’t mean he can’t as appeal to a different audience but it’s hard to see Harry Styles being booked for Reading given the demographic going to see him at Old Trafford. 

Deffo no groups of lads out for a fun old time

Charlie Vietch- 

You'll hear Harey Styles songs in Popworld in 5 years, that's not really the booking they make. 

My rule of thumb..

if your 8 year old cousin has their poster, their album, goes to the shows, mimes their songs in to a hairbrush in the mirror - not R&L

If you walk past a group of teenagers lurking on a street corner  or a park on a Friday night and hear them playing it loud - R&L

• Upvote 1

What’s Popworld? 

Harry Styles is massively popular with all kinds of people. I don’t think he will but he would obviously go down fantastically at R&L. 

The difference between him and late 90s/early 00s British pop stars like some that have been mentioned is that he is artistically very credible. He has received praise from all corners. 

Not to mention, he has more bangers than you can shake a stick at. As far as pop music goes, he’s fantastic. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

What’s Popworld? 

Harry Styles is massively popular with all kinds of people. I don’t think he will but he would obviously go down fantastically at R&L. 

The difference between him and late 90s/early 00s British pop stars like some that have been mentioned is that he is artistically very credible. He has received praise from all corners. 

Not to mention, he has more bangers than you can shake a stick at. As far as pop music goes, he’s fantastic. 

In reality he’s no more credible than any of the, the 90s pop stars, his main witter has a rap sheet longer than all of One Directions arms (FATM, Jesse Ware, Shawn Mendes, Calvin Harris, Haim, Shakira, Skrillix, James Bay, Years and Years, Mabel etc…etc…) . Being credible these days is more easily won  

Does he really have any bangers too? Last big single was good if blatantly The Weekend lite, otherwise I’m struggling to pick one now, although only given his LPs a single spin at most to be fair and he’s clearly huge!

No chance he’d be anywhere near as big as he was if he hadn’t been in one direction, as proven by that crowd at his show, being 95% post teenage girls

Basically he’s Robbie Williams without the attraction to lad types as well.

No doubt he could headline Reading and would be a popular and worthy choice, it’s not worth them wasting the money though really when Fender prob has as much, if not more draw for the current demographic

If people are saying Capaldi can do it, Harry Styles is supremely clear, it’s not gonna be an hour and a half sob fest, it’ll be colourful and amazing and he’d absolutely smash it.

i don’t know anyone out of all the people I know who doesn’t like or vibe to at least one of his songs, and they’re all 19-23

4 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

If people are saying Capaldi can do it, Harry Styles is supremely clear, it’s not gonna be an hour and a half sob fest, it’ll be colourful and amazing and he’d absolutely smash it.

i don’t know anyone out of all the people I know who doesn’t like or vibe to at least one of his songs, and they’re all 19-23

Capaldi headlining a festival would be the biggest anti-climax of all time

Will be interesting how his next record does

8 minutes ago, Benj said:

Capaldi headlining a festival would be the biggest anti-climax of all time

Will be interesting how his next record does

Don’t get me wrong, I think 16/17 year olds would lap it up, but Someone You Love will be 4 years old by the time of the festival. He’s a great personality but hardly headliner worth 

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Every parent in the 90s / 00s would have said the same about Robbie Williams.

Angels, Rock DJ, Let me Entertain You. He'd even bring out Nicole Kidman for Something Stupid.

Harry is exactly the same. In 10 years, all these 30 year old women will be spring cleaning their house blasting out Harry Styles songs while their kids beg them to turn off the cringe. (Just like Robbie)

In 30 years you'll be one of those aunts or uncles that never got over their 15 year old crush and everybody knows you as "The Harry Styles" superfan. (Just like George Michael).

All I see here is a lot of denial from the younger generations "no I swear it's different than my mom and dad". 

One Direction we're the new Take That, who were the new Wham!.

Harry Styles and Zayn are the new Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow. Harry and Robbie being the George Michaels.

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Capaldi will never headline. Not unless he releases an absolute banger of an album that best sells to the levels of Travis Scott etc.

All he is .. a ten-a-penny potato face with a guitar and a "down with the lads" twitter feed.

Harsh but extremely fair

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Angels, Rock DJ, Let me Entertain You. He'd even bring out Nicole Kidman for Something Stupid.

Harry is exactly the same. In 10 years, all these 30 year old women will be spring cleaning their house blasting out Harry Styles songs while their kids beg them to turn off the cringe. (Just like Robbie)

In 30 years you'll be one of those aunts or uncles that never got over their 15 year old crush and everybody knows you as "The Harry Styles" superfan. (Just like George Michael).

All I see here is a lot of denial from the younger generations "no I swear it's different than my mom and dad". 

Harry Styles and Zayn are the new Robbie Williams and Gary Barlow. Harry and Robbie being the George Michaels.

C’mon though George Michael was an actual proper vocal Talent at least

Otherwise all fair again. People making out that Harry Styles is some kind of creative behemoth, above those types, and even more worth than the likes of Yungblud and Humberstone, because he’s a nice fella, wears a feather boa and has other people produce good songs for him, will indeed learn with time

19 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I mean as someone who has amazing parents I couldn’t care if I’m like them in 20/30 years. And I couldn’t give a shit if Robbie Williams was playing I’d scream that shit.

And you can say it’s “cringe” but if Rock DJ comes on in the club it gets a singalong and Angels is requested in a pub it’s an emotional tune with the lads. I think you’re underestimating what and it may be the minority of us younger people like. I’m entirely sure everyone I know would rather sit and listen through all of Robbie’s discography than any drill/grime or whatever the cool shit is nowadays.

the point in trying to make, is Harry may not produce his albums, but he’s undeniably a brilliant artist and performer, and has songs that wouldn’t seem out of place at Reading when we’re predicting Dua Lipa every year. If people like Mabel, Anne - Marie and Years and Years can perform then why the hell can’t Harry Styles, especially when’s he got songs like Kiwi in his back pocket 

And in terms of the aunt or uncle I thing, at least I’ll be fucking cool, I will die on this Harry hill 👨🏻‍🦲 and forever stand by him coz I think his music is proper class. Unfortunately he doesn’t fit this so notorious “rock festival”. And if whoever I’m with spring cleans to Harry, then a ring may soon follow 🖕🏼

• Upvote 1

I mean as someone who has amazing parents I couldn’t care if I’m like them in 20/30 years. And I couldn’t give a shit if Robbie Williams was playing I’d scream that shit.

And you can say it’s “cringe” but if Rock DJ comes on in the club it gets a singalong and Angels is requested in a pub it’s an emotional tune with the lads. I think you’re underestimating what and it may be the minority of us younger people like. I’m entirely sure everyone I know would rather sit and listen through all of Robbie’s discography than any drill/grime or whatever the cool shit is nowadays.

the point in trying to make, is Harry may not produce his albums, but he’s undeniably a brilliant artist and performer, and has songs that wouldn’t seem out of place at Reading when we’re predicting Dua Lipa every year. If people like Mabel, Anne - Marie and Years and Years can perform then why the hell can’t Harry Styles, especially when’s he got songs like Kiwi in his back pocket 

And in terms of the aunt or uncle I thing, at least I’ll be fucking cool, I will die on this Harry hill 👨🏻‍🦲 and forever stand by him coz I think his music is proper class. Unfortunately he doesn’t fit this so notorious “rock festival”. And if whoever I’m with spring cleans to Harry, then a ring may soon follow 🖕🏼

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

And in terms of the aunt or uncle I thing, at least I’ll be fucking cool, I will die on this Harry hill 👨🏻‍🦲 and forever stand by him coz I think his music is proper class. Unfortunately he doesn’t fit this so notorious “rock festival”. And if whoever I’m with spring cleans to Harry, then a ring may soon follow 🖕🏼

Where’s the confused reaction button

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

And in terms of the aunt or uncle I thing, at least I’ll be fucking cool, I will die on this Harry hill 👨🏻‍🦲 and forever stand by him coz I think his music is proper class. Unfortunately he doesn’t fit this so notorious “rock festival”. And if whoever I’m with spring cleans to Harry, then a ring may soon follow 🖕🏼

Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with you. I like Robbie Williams, Something Stupid was on the shortlist for my wedding dance. What I'm saying though, Harry Styles (very good and I listen to all his songs) headlining Reading is no different to if they booked Robbie Williams or Justin Timberlake. I'd actually love that shit tbh. The demographics are completely different. I wouldn't imagine the headliners being - 

Foo Fighters | Robbie Williams | Metallica in 2000

In the same way that it would look out of place now to have -

Kasabian | Harry Styles/Shawn Mendes/Justin Timberlake | Rage Against the Machine

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with you. I like Robbie Williams, Something Stupid was on the shortlist for my wedding dance. What I'm saying though, Harry Styles (very good and I listen to all his songs) headlining Reading is no different to if they booked Robbie Williams or Justin Timberlake. I'd actually love that shit tbh. The demographics are completely different. I wouldn't imagine the headliners being - 

Foo Fighters | Robbie Williams | Metallica in 2000

In the same way that it would look out of place now to have -

Kasabian | Harry Styles/Shawn Mendes/Justin Timberlake | Rage Against the Machine

Yh that’s fine but in regards to the final part, surely Dua Lipa is off the same ilk, or Doja Cat or Megan Thee Stallion, whoever was similar to them in 2000 would’ve looked out of place too 

4 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Where’s the confused reaction button

ngl it read like a copypasta, and reading it back, it sounds even more like a copypasta 

But I do have a soft spot for Robbie and wouldn't be 100% against Harry headlining. If Dua Lipa was seriously being considered, no reason he couldn't

6 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Yh that’s fine but in regards to the final part, surely Dua Lipa is off the same ilk, or Doja Cat or Megan Thee Stallion, whoever was similar to them in 2000 would’ve looked out of place too 

Harry Styles is more Ed Sheeran cheese family friendly pop, Dua Lipa is mainstream (which takes it away from a RL booking for me) but not so family friendly   a lot of her lyrics are sex related. I said before, Reading is a festival for bands with Parental Advisory on their cd covers. 

You could have Harry Styles | Little Mix | Adele on MSE - they're all big enough and would sell out instantly. It's just not the RL style.

20 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Harry Styles is more Ed Sheeran cheese family friendly pop, Dua Lipa is mainstream (which takes it away from a RL booking for me) but not so family friendly   a lot of her lyrics are sex related. I said before, Reading is a festival for bands with Parental Advisory on their cd covers. 

You could have Harry Styles | Little Mix | Adele on MSE - they're all big enough and would sell out instantly. It's just not the RL style.

Have you ever heard a Harry Styles song? 

He is very much in the same bracket as Dua Lipa; both make pure pop music, both are very talented, critically lauded and very, very successful. 

But yeah, the very well known family event that Reading and Leeds is. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Just watching Capaldi at IOW. I forgot how good he is on stage.

Apparently he's got a new album coming out. If that's any use, no way you can write him off for next year.

Oh shit