2023 Festival

TheWaters

On 5/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, jump said:

I would have thought they would be laughed at but Dappy did headlined the 1 Xtra stage not too long ago. Did he get a big crowd when he played in 2019?

I didn't see him, but one of my mates who saw him (at Leeds) said the tent was full

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It’s woeful, I don’t remember it being 90% backing track vocals at R&L last year? Having said that, I was battered by midday so don’t remember a right lot

I’m going to sound so old - but kids… if you think this is fresh or innovative listen to the stuff this guy is pretty much ripping off..

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Watching Yungblud at big weekend… fucking hell. A mess.

His record label is surely going to drop him soon. He has no marketability, no matter how much money they are splashing to push him on every imaginable platform, radio shows, appearances he is absolutly bombing.

His highest charting song broke in to the top 40 by 1, his latest few singles didn't even hit the top 80.

All image and no substance and even the kids are seeing that. The British Nickelback / Imagine Dragons.

I'm picturing his headline set - cotton candy, I think I'm okay, hope for the under rated youth, the funeral, memories... thats it?

11 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

His record label is surely going to drop him soon. He has no marketability, no matter how much money they are splashing to push him on every imaginable platform, radio shows, appearances he is absolutly bombing.

His highest charting song broke in to the top 40 by 1, his latest few singles didn't even hit the top 80.

All image and no substance and even the kids are seeing that. The British Nickelback / Imagine Dragons.

I'm picturing his headline set - cotton candy, I think I'm okay, hope for the under rated youth, the funeral, memories... thats it?

Crowd looked absolutely dead. Every two minutes he was asking them to jump and it went down like a lead balloon. Bit of a fad

11 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Crowd looked absolutely dead. Every two minutes he was asking them to jump and it went down like a lead balloon. Bit of a fad

Tbh big weekend crowds are always a bit muted because they pick up a lot of people who flat out don’t go to festivals / know anyone playing.

But yeah Yungblud was a mess. It’s just a complete image rip off of many acts who’ve done it better. Feels overly manufactured to cater to teenage angst, and I don’t think people are biting. Like when the machine tries too hard to fit a formula. 

37 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

I mean, it is big weekend in all fairness. 

Crowd seemed generally more lively at Big Weekend 2019 in Boro but I picked and chose my acts that were likely to have some atmosphere (BMTH, Amazons, Catfish etc).

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Tbh big weekend crowds are always a bit muted because they pick up a lot of people who flat out don’t go to festivals / know anyone playing.

But yeah Yungblud was a mess. It’s just a complete image rip off of many acts who’ve done it better. Feels overly manufactured to cater to teenage angst, and I don’t think people are biting. Like when the machine tries too hard to fit a formula. 

Yungblud seemed to have some hype and following before but it might have fizzled out? As you say, it’s all just a really poor spin on an act that’s been done a thousand times before. Makes me laugh when he wears a Cramps t shirt on stage - he wouldn’t know punk if Johnny Rotten knocked him out

His most recent album sold 40k in the first week, most artists would kill for that. Not a chance the label will drop him.

There’s no point looking at singles chart positions for indie/rock acts. Catfish and the Bottlemen only ever had one Top 40 single. The main reason for that being is that they just don’t get pushed on the big Spotify/Apple Music playlists, being added to Hot Hits UK on Spotify can make pretty much anything chart. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yungblud seemed to have some hype and following before but it might have fizzled out? As you say, it’s all just a really poor spin on an act that’s been done a thousand times before. Makes me laugh when he wears a Cramps t shirt on stage - he wouldn’t know punk if Johnny Rotten knocked him out

You do know Sex Pistols got all their clothes designed by Vivienne Westwood to make them look “punk” 😂 I think regardless of what Yungblud sounds like he can wear a band t shirt if he likes said band 😂

I honestly thought he looked quite good. Hate that he has a backing track though but he uses it because he runs around a lot. Good crowd interaction and tried his best on a main stage crowd at big weekend which is well know to be pretty lacking energy wise. I think you also have to remember watching someone on tv is completely different to actually being there with live music.