2023 Festival

TheWaters

6 hours ago, bleeegghh said:

Looking at the venues they've sold out they have. 2016 playing Wembley (12,500 cap) to this year with 4 sold out shows in the Olympia (10,000 cap) plus a Brixton academy show just in London. I saw them at their 3rd night in the Olympia and I really think you'd need an incredibly strong alternative to justify putting them on MSW

My mistake - i got the olympia cap wrong for some reason i thought it was 3k. I hope they do MSE although the other stage booking maybe dampens the chances.

I'd argue they could book say Sam Fender for MSW instead of Foals on MSE for arguably more impact with the R&L crowd. I hope they get to do it though, class band

4 hours ago, Chad888 said:

My personal opinion, her whole deal is the big fat sassy black girl from the American South. That isn't really a demographic in the UK. She is constantly been thrown at us but it is always from a body positivity angle "Lizzos workouts" "Lizzo looks stunning" "Lizzo has the moves". In the UK we have Adele for that.

It's like Tyler Perry movies, they're funny but they don't work in the UK like they do US as we don't really relate to the sassy preachy Southern POC.

Again, entirely my opinion. I just feel in Britain we don't buy in to the image as much and we have Dua Lipa and Adele filling Lizzos role much better.

In 10 years she will be a pub quiz question.

How am i the first downvote on this montrosity

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jump said:

Whilst you clearly have good logic, insight and are in touch with today's music you however overlooked something, Adele is no longer fat so what if these pro fat and sassy consumers of Adele now all flock to Lizzo as the new Adele?

Also... 

not sure if you're serious 

Which is why social media is aghast at the fact Adele dared to have lost weight, and the body positive movement now call her fatphobic and say she's spreading body shaming sentiment with her body.

And with Lizzo, you will very much struggle to find any article about her music unless it's a specific album review. Whereas BBC News every day has a headline story about how Lizzo moves and the journalist can't keep up with her workout. She's the face of body positivity at the moment, and identity politics is very very heavy in the USA but never really took off here (as rather than suit it to British culture, they just exported it directly as it was focused on US issues). 

Its the same reason artists like Blur and Dizzee Rascal were huge here but didn't translate across the pond because they were very streets of lower class UK songs for the grey streets of Britain.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Tell me where its wrong? Lizzo doesn't hit in the UK market because her selling point doesn't resonates with UK listeners. What she is pushed on us is for body positivity, and to show bigger people can still move.

I typed in Lizzo on Google and the first page articles were:

1) Lizzos reaction to Kim K left us all in tears.

2) Lizzo rocks a flute at the Met Gala

3) Lizzo was the best look at the Met Gala

4) Lizzo's epic Snapchat takes us through the Met Gala

5) Lizzo drips in Gold as she accessories with a golden flute

6) We live for Lizzos corkscrew nails

7) Lizzo blesses us with a tune from her S55,000 flute

8 ) Lizzo parades her stunning curves in a tiny neon orange bikini

9) Lizzo shows off her beautiful behind in a very revealing orange bikini

10) Lizzo shows off a very curvaceous rear as she dazzles in a thing

11) Follow Lizzos workout to get stronger in the gym

12) Lizzo wears 10 inch heels on a hike and we're here for it

All of those are related to body image and attitude. 

27 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Which is why social media is aghast at the fact Adele dared to have lost weight, and the body positive movement now call her fatphobic and say she's spreading body shaming sentiment with her body.

And with Lizzo, you will very much struggle to find any article about her music unless it's a specific album review. Whereas BBC News every day has a headline story about how Lizzo moves and the journalist can't keep up with her workout. She's the face of body positivity at the moment, and identity politics is very very heavy in the USA but never really took off here (as rather than suit it to British culture, they just exported it directly as it was focused on US issues). 

Its the same reason artists like Blur and Dizzee Rascal were huge here but didn't translate across the pond because they were very streets of lower class UK songs for the grey streets of Britain.

Blur headlined Coachella

16 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Tell me where its wrong? Lizzo doesn't hit in the UK market because her selling point doesn't resonates with UK listeners. What she is pushed on us is for body positivity, and to show bigger people can still move.

I typed in Lizzo on Google and the first page articles were:

1) Lizzos reaction to Kim K left us all in tears.

2) Lizzo rocks a flute at the Met Gala

3) Lizzo was the best look at the Met Gala

4) Lizzo's epic Snapchat takes us through the Met Gala

5) Lizzo drips in Gold as she accessories with a golden flute

6) We live for Lizzos corkscrew nails

7) Lizzo blesses us with a tune from her S55,000 flute

8 ) Lizzo parades her stunning curves in a tiny neon orange bikini

9) Lizzo shows off her beautiful behind in a very revealing orange bikini

10) Lizzo shows off a very curvaceous rear as she dazzles in a thing

11) Follow Lizzos workout to get stronger in the gym

12) Lizzo wears 10 inch heels on a hike and we're here for it

All of those are related to body image and attitude. 

Artists can be bigger than music - here's the results for Liam Gallagher for instance. Nothing to do with music.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB981GB981&sxsrf=ALiCzsY_0ZtOsFkFLwbePNHSXcxYKJdVtQ:1651688010557&q=liam+gallagher&tbm=nws&source=univ&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRk5ipucb3AhUkQEEAHYkZByEQt8YBegQIAxAF&biw=1440&bih=683&dpr=1

2 hours ago, Benj said:

QOTSA have a reasonable hardcore fan base in the U.K. but are in no way a slightly mainstream draw, esp for the current Reading demographic

I think thats how most big rock acts keep the crowd they have these days. Think biffy and liam are close to interchangeable between MSE and MSW when pitched againts eachother but liam beats QOTSA to a british audience 

54 minutes ago, gfa said:

My mistake - i got the olympia cap wrong for some reason i thought it was 3k. I hope they do MSE although the other stage booking maybe dampens the chances.

I'd argue they could book say Sam Fender for MSW instead of Foals on MSE for arguably more impact with the R&L crowd. I hope they get to do it though, class band

when I googled it was listed as 4000-10,000 and I kinda assumed that as its used as a convention centre they were different caps for different uses, felt identical to ally pally in there

21 minutes ago, bleeegghh said:

I think thats how most big rock acts keep the crowd they have these days. Think biffy and liam are close to interchangeable between MSE and MSW when pitched againts eachother but liam beats QOTSA to a british audience 

Liam has sold out 2 nights at knebworth he would never do MSW

In fairness when Liam was announced for R&L 2020 people were talking about how he's not big enough to be a headliner, it's only in the last two years and specificlly these Knebworth dates people are saying he's one of the biggest acts in the country.

12 minutes ago, jump said:

In fairness when Liam was announced for R&L 2020 people were talking about how he's not big enough to be a headliner, it's only in the last two years and specificlly these Knebworth dates people are saying he's one of the biggest acts in the country.

Exactly, I was a bit underwhelmed when he got announced for 2020 because I dont keep up with him and havent really cared about what he's done since he subbed in 2017 but absolutely see liam is there now. when he was announced for 2021 It might have been able to go either way then if biffy was announced at the same time but now its no contest.

Do think if biffy wasnt a replacement theyd be MSE but also they seem happy to play whatever so it'd probably depend on how demanding the other headliner is  

3 hours ago, bleeegghh said:

was more meaning both Liam and Biffy could have been MSE

Biffy definitely isn't MSE anymore (if ever). They don't have much following in the R&L younger audience like AM/LG (oasis) does nor the rarity factor that RATM has.

I don't think they got a particularly big crowd last year - we personally waited for Liam after Gerry and it seemed a lot of people did the same 

Edited by gfa

14 hours ago, jump said:

And he’ll slowly fade away afterwards when people have had their fill for a good few years

11 hours ago, gfa said:

Biffy definitely isn't MSE anymore (if ever). They don't have much following in the R&L younger audience like AM/LG (oasis) does nor the rarity factor that RATM has.

I don't think they got a particularly big crowd last year - we personally waited for Liam after Gerry and it seemed a lot of people did the same 

Erm…Biffy headlined the main stage twice when there was no other main stage!

Its always hard to judge the main stage crowds, as they seem to vary a fair bit on exactly where you’re stood.

We saw LG for a couple of songs at the start of the set and one at the end, seeing Girl in Red at the same time and would say it was average. Compared to Eminem who we did similar with, at the same part of the arena, the last time he played, the crowd was tiny. 

If say Biffy crowds, esp the first time they headlined where bigger than LG drew but I was the other side of the arena. Remember  they had more competition in those days too with the tent drawing people as well though 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I think he'll be a massive legacy act until he decides to call it a day. 

Quite possibly, he wont be doing two days at Knebworth on any regular frequency though.

Can see a 5 yearly roll through Reading/ IoW and the like for the next decade but he'll need to watch the over exposure. 

The most interesting thing about it is the slow burn on the way back up to where he is now. A seemingly strange choice for subbing at Reading to basically doing his own two day festival.  It has obviously been built on a little more than just people desperate to see him again after a while but also now on full hype extraction mode

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

Quite possibly, he wont be doing two days at Knebworth on any regular frequency though.

Can see a 5 yearly roll through Reading/ IoW and the like for the next decade but he'll need to watch the over exposure. 

The most interesting thing about it is the slow burn on the way back up to where he is now. A seemingly strange choice for subbing at Reading to basically doing his own two day festival.  It has obviously been built on a little more than just people desperate to see him again after a while but also now on full hype extraction mode

If he's not over exposed now then he should be good - he's done pretty much every major UK festival headline slot in the past 2 festival seasons

4 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Makes you think, if he can do that, what could Oasis do?

Well i think we all know it would be crazy. Liam and Noel between them headline about half the country's major festivals each year its pretty absurd - remains to be seen if people get bored of seeing them!

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Well i think we all know it would be crazy. Liam and Noel between them headline about half the country's major festivals each year its pretty absurd - remains to be seen if people get bored of seeing them!

Having visions of all the Oasis da's with a 'break glass in case of Oasis reunion' cabinet at home containing a brand new parka and pair of Adidas Spezials.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfa said:

If he's not over exposed now then he should be good - he's done pretty much every major UK festival headline slot in the past 2 festival seasons

Assume he’ll have a couple of years off. Back with a new LP and try and do it all over again

Not had tons to do today, so thought I may as well do another 2023 mock-up/wish list, especially taking into account the recent chats about Lizzo (who for the record, I reckon would make a really fun MSW set)... I personally feel like this would be a great line-up and would fit the R&L audience quite well, would love to hear thoughts and opinions!

MSE: Dua Lipa / Rex Orange County / Becky Hill / Wet Leg / Griff

MSW: Machine Gun Kelly / Blossoms / Olivia Rodrigo / Baby Keem / Pup

Dance: Jax Jones / Jayda G / Majestic / Vibe Chemistry

Pit: Turnstile / Trash Boat / Roam / Sleep Token

1Xtra: Iann Dior / Lady Leshurr / Nemzzz / Tiffany Calver

MSE: Travis Scott / Lil Baby / IDLES / Don Toliver / Holly Humberstone

MSW: Sam Fender / Jamie T / Anne-Marie / Sea Girls / Digga D 

Dance: Sub Focus / Bou b2b Turno / Hedex / Rain Radio

Lock-Up: Gallows / Grandson / Loathe / Wargasm 

1Xtra: Stefflon Don / Nafe Smallz / Meekz / Queen Millz 

MSE: Red Hot Chili Peppers / Courteeners / Charli XCX / Sundara Karma / Waterparks

MSW: Lizzo / Playboi Carti / Don Broco / Easy Life / Koffee

Dance: Patrick Topping / Ewan McVicar / Ben Hemsley / Emily Nash 

FR: Sports Team / Baby Queen / Orla Gartland / Dylan Fraser

1Xtra: Knucks / $not / Ms Banks / Mumble

1715702975_rl_prediction_3.thumb.png.16d2312433e4bcf989e689ea3aa3cf24.png

15 minutes ago, stanh said:

Not had tons to do today, so thought I may as well do another 2023 mock-up/wish list, especially taking into account the recent chats about Lizzo (who for the record, I reckon would make a really fun MSW set)... I personally feel like this would be a great line-up and would fit the R&L audience quite well, would love to hear thoughts and opinions!

MSE: Dua Lipa / Rex Orange County / Becky Hill / Wet Leg / Griff

MSW: Machine Gun Kelly / Blossoms / Olivia Rodrigo / Baby Keem / Pup

Dance: Jax Jones / Jayda G / Majestic / Vibe Chemistry

Pit: Turnstile / Trash Boat / Roam / Sleep Token

1Xtra: Iann Dior / Lady Leshurr / Nemzzz / Tiffany Calver

MSE: Travis Scott / Lil Baby / IDLES / Don Toliver / Holly Humberstone

MSW: Sam Fender / Jamie T / Anne-Marie / Sea Girls / Digga D 

Dance: Sub Focus / Bou b2b Turno / Hedex / Rain Radio

Lock-Up: Gallows / Grandson / Loathe / Wargasm 

1Xtra: Stefflon Don / Nafe Smallz / Meekz / Queen Millz 

MSE: Red Hot Chili Peppers / Courteeners / Charli XCX / Sundara Karma / Waterparks

MSW: Lizzo / Playboi Carti / Don Broco / Easy Life / Koffee

Dance: Patrick Topping / Ewan McVicar / Ben Hemsley / Emily Nash 

FR: Sports Team / Baby Queen / Orla Gartland / Dylan Fraser

1Xtra: Knucks / $not / Ms Banks / Mumble

1715702975_rl_prediction_3.thumb.png.16d2312433e4bcf989e689ea3aa3cf24.png

Looks really good, only things i'd say is I think Sports Team are too big for a FR headline now, and not sure if Olivia Rodrigo would be 3rd down MSW next year especially if she releases new music - think as a minimum she's subbing MSE