2023 Festival

TheWaters

Lizzo is a no stranger booking than Halsey imo.

I reckon they would want Travis at R&L rather than wireless, they tend to put the more expensive acts at R&L rather than wireless

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Lizzo is a no stranger booking than Halsey imo.

I reckon they would want Travis at R&L rather than wireless, they tend to put the more expensive acts at R&L rather than wireless

Dunno I feel Wireless is more likely - Wireless seem to have more guts for the controversial hip hop bookings

1 hour ago, LazyDavid said:

I think if you can book Megan Thee Stallion and Halsey you can book Lizzo

Megan is a prime R&L booking music wise.

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno I feel Wireless is more likely - Wireless seem to have more guts for the controversial hip hop bookings

To be fair Travis might have dropped his fee / be more open to smaller festivals

On 4/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, Benj said:

No chance Lizzie headlines. She has half as many Spotify listeners than Megan Thee Stallion for starters

She is touring the US heavily 3rd/ 4th quarter 2022, so set up for a summer in Europe. Still can’t see her being anywhere near the draw though, assuming no big hitting new music 

Megan Thee Stallion's spotify listeners are not hers though. Her 5 biggest songs are 4 that she features on, and 1 that was a meme.

WAP - Listened by the Cardi B fans

Sweetest Pie - Listened by the Dua Lipa fans

Savage - Listened by the Beyonce fans

Beautiful Mistakes - Listened by the Maroon 5 fans

Hot Girl Summer - Listened to because it became a meme, and all the parodies such as Hot Girl Bummer (which charted higher and sold more).

When ranking solo female artists that fit the headliner slot, she would come realtively solid last.

(MSE) Billie Eilish > Dua Lipa > Cardi B > Nicki Minaj > (MSW) Halsey > Doja Cat > Lizzo > Megan Thee Stallion

Edited by Chad888
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

WAP - Listened by the Cardi B fans

Sweetest Pie - Listened by the Dua Lipa fans

Savage - Listened by the Beyonce fans

Beautiful Mistakes - Listened by the Maroon 5 fans

Hot Girl Summer - Listened to because it became a meme, and all the parodies such as Hot Girl Bummer (which charted higher and sold more).

This listened to by x's fans analogy is a bit of a head scratcher. You could say the same about so many artists, DJ Khaled who was meant to headline Wireless a few years ago is a good example.

MTS suits the audience very well even if she's not the biggest act, there's been stranger picks than Lizzo but look at all those names you listed - she's clearly not going to be the priority! If they get one of Billie or Dua Lipa then there would probably only be one female headliner I reckon. Also Nicki Minaj in 2023 on MSE really 

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

This listened to by x's fans analogy is a bit of a head scratcher. You could say the same about so many artists, DJ Khaled who was meant to headline Wireless a few years ago is a good example.

MTS suits the audience very well even if she's not the biggest act, there's been stranger picks than Lizzo but look at all those names you listed - she's clearly not going to be the priority! If they get one of Billie or Dua Lipa then there would probably only be one female headliner I reckon. Also Nicki Minaj in 2023 on MSE really 

DJ Khaled is an actual producer though, whereas MTS is an artist whose only recognition is as a featured artist on others tracks.

The "listened to" is in reference to Spotify. People listen to Cardi B music on Cardi Bs page and if MTS is featured on a song it will get counted as a listen for MTS too. If you look at MTS Spotify page, her top 5 songs are not from her page, but they are carried across on to her front page because she features on them.

Yes Nicki Minaj would get main stage, even if her prime was 15 years ago she was the biggest female rapper in the world for a solid 10 to 15 years. Questioning her on MSE now is like questioning Eminem on MSE. He is a shadow of his former self and there are far better options, but she was the top of the game.

50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Pharrell, Kanye, Jay Z they would all go to MSE even though they're 10 years gone.

DJ Khaled is an actual producer though, whereas MTS is an artist whose only recognition is as a featured artist on others tracks.

The "listened to" is in reference to Spotify. People listen to Cardi B music on Cardi Bs page and if MTS is featured on a song it will get counted as a listen for MTS too. If you look at MTS Spotify page, her top 5 songs are not from her page, but they are carried across on to her front page because she features on them.

Yes Nicki Minaj would get main stage, even if her prime was 15 years ago she was the biggest female rapper in the world for a solid 10 to 15 years. Questioning her on MSE now is like questioning Eminem on MSE. He is a shadow of his former self and there are far better options, but she was the top of the game.

50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Pharrell, Kanye, Jay Z they would all go to MSE even though they're 10 years gone.

Your overthinking spotify stats completely - MTS is not the biggest headliner and i couldnt give a shit about her but it is what it is.

Nicki Minaj is headlining wireless which has half the capacity at only one site and its still on sale now - she is big (and very famous) but she doesn't have the history with the festival like Eminem does nor did she ever tour to the same scale he once did.

I can't really see any older rappers getting booked at the festival in the near future (bar maybe Eminem) given how many new rappers there are that are reaching the headline slot currently. They are easier to get on a cheaper fee and 16 year olds who aren't properly into music know them better than a lot of legends - good examples being Dave this year.

I'm not questioning Jay Z (who wouldn't get booked now) or Kanye. Snoop Dogg / 50 Cent / Pharallel aren't headlining MSE your insane. Maybe snoop dogg 50 cent dre etc similar to the superbowl but hardly going to be the first option is it. Pharrell played like 5th down with NERD and it was empty wasn't it? 50 cent headlined Parklife alongside MTS last year also

Your completely overstating the legacy of some of these acts i think - Reading really doesn't do legacy rap bookings bar eminem

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

Your overthinking spotify stats completely - MTS is not the biggest headliner and i couldnt give a shit about her but it is what it is.

Nicki Minaj is headlining wireless which has half the capacity at only one site and its still on sale now - she is big (and very famous) but she doesn't have the history with the festival like Eminem does nor did she ever tour to the same scale he once did.

I can't really see any older rappers getting booked at the festival in the near future (bar maybe Eminem) given how many new rappers there are that are reaching the headline slot currently. They are easier to get on a cheaper fee and 16 year olds who aren't properly into music know them better than a lot of legends - good examples being Dave this year.

I'm not questioning Jay Z (who wouldn't get booked now) or Kanye. Snoop Dogg / 50 Cent / Pharallel aren't headlining MSE your insane. Maybe snoop dogg 50 cent dre etc similar to the superbowl but hardly going to be the first option is it. Pharrell played like 5th down with NERD and it was empty wasn't it? 50 cent headlined Parklife alongside MTS last year also

Your completely overstating the legacy of some of these acts i think - Reading really doesn't do legacy rap bookings bar eminem

50 cent is headlining this year.  Mts subbed both last and this year

1 hour ago, Muppetmark said:

50 cent is headlining this year.  Mts subbed both last and this year

My mistake -  still 50 cent is not getting a MSE headline slot regardless.

Everyone agrees MTS is a small booking for the slot i'm not really sure what the point is meant to be really - its certainly not 2023 related.

17 hours ago, gfa said:

Foals haven't got bigger than when they co-headlined imo. They would be a weak MSE but strong MSW - similar size to QOTSA or Biffy really.

Looking at the venues they've sold out they have. 2016 playing Wembley (12,500 cap) to this year with 4 sold out shows in the Olympia (10,000 cap) plus a Brixton academy show just in London. I saw them at their 3rd night in the Olympia and I really think you'd need an incredibly strong alternative to justify putting them on MSW

3 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

It took Lizzo’s new single two weeks before it entered the Spotify UK Top 200, due to playlisting/promotion. I don’t think there’s as much interest here for her as an artist anymore. 

My personal opinion, her whole deal is the big fat sassy black girl from the American South. That isn't really a demographic in the UK. She is constantly been thrown at us but it is always from a body positivity angle "Lizzos workouts" "Lizzo looks stunning" "Lizzo has the moves". In the UK we have Adele for that.

It's like Tyler Perry movies, they're funny but they don't work in the UK like they do US as we don't really relate to the sassy preachy Southern POC.

Again, entirely my opinion. I just feel in Britain we don't buy in to the image as much and we have Dua Lipa and Adele filling Lizzos role much better.

In 10 years she will be a pub quiz question.

Edited by Chad888
  • Downvote 4

My personal opinion, her whole deal is the big fat sassy black girl from the American South. That isn't really a demographic in the UK. She is constantly been thrown at us but it is always from a body positivity angle "Lizzos workouts" "Lizzo looks stunning" "Lizzo has the moves". In the UK we have Adele for that.

It's like Tyler Perry movies, they're funny but they don't work in the UK like they do US as we don't really relate to the sassy preachy Southern POC.

Again, entirely my opinion. I just feel in Britain we don't buy in to the image as much and we have Dua Lipa and Adele filling Lizzos role much better.

Oh dear, oh dear. This ain’t a good look. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sacred shape said:

Bigger than Foals but not sure about QOTSA. They played Wembley and the O2 last time they toured properly here

QOTSA have a reasonable hardcore fan base in the U.K. but are in no way a slightly mainstream draw, esp for the current Reading demographic

35 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Oh dear, oh dear. This ain’t a good look. 

While potentially not correct it’s not outlandishly racist if that’s what you’re hinting at. Fattist maybe!

There are many acts that for whatever reason resonate better in different cultures. There are many acts who are huge in the U.K. who have zero chance of selling in the US due to cultural differences

I think he’s wrong with Lizzo

1 minute ago, Benj said:

While potentially not correct it’s not outlandishly racist if that’s what you’re hinting at. Fattist maybe!

There are many acts that for whatever reason resonate better in different cultures. There are many acts who are huge in the U.K. who have zero chance of selling in the US due to cultural differences

I think he’s wrong with Lizzo

It just sounds really, really twatty. 

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Whilst you clearly have good logic, insight and are in touch with today's music you however overlooked something, Adele is no longer fat so what if these pro fat and sassy consumers of Adele now all flock to Lizzo as the new Adele?

Also... 

not sure if you're serious