2023 Festival

TheWaters

6 hours ago, gfa said:

Not sure why people have got it out for Sam Fender, i'm not a huge fan but would prefer him to courteeners getting the bump up. aka - hes a great booking for them to get and theres plenty of worse options.

Musically he's not bad, his music does feel authentic, and it is always nice to see the young 'uns get really into an artist who started from the ground up instead of the usual industry plants they love so much.

But he's yet another hyped up, safe sounding radio friendly artist. Also the message in his songs has been done to death thousands of times throughout music. There's plenty of great rock artists around at the moment who the media are overlooking in favour of the likes of Sam Fender and there's a reason for that - because he's simply more marketable.

Edited by VCK

46 minutes ago, VCK said:

Musically he's not bad, his music does feel authentic, and it is always nice to see the young 'uns get really into an artist who started from the ground up instead of the usual industry plants they love so much.

But he's yet another hyped up, safe sounding radio friendly artist. Also the message in his songs has been done to death thousands of times throughout music. There's plenty of great rock artists around at the moment who the media are overlooking in favour of the likes of Sam Fender and there's a reason for that - because he's simply more marketable.

Part of his success is his social media presence, he seems a very likeable bloke kids can relate to. He’s got the holy trinity of radio-friendly music, likeable character and the fuck the tories mentality. If he can help drive a guitar comeback in the UK music scene then happy days.

Edited by andyrhodes24

29 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Part of his success is his social media presence, he seems a very likeable bloke kids can relate to. He’s got the holy trinity of radio-friendly music, likeable character and the fuck the tories mentality. If he can help drive a guitar comeback in the UK music scene then happy days.

Indeed. Like I said, he's very marketable to the young 'uns. Though I'm surprised there aren't many people complaining about him being Yet Another White Male With A Guitar™️ .

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Fuck the stories attitude in a country that routinely votes them in. 

Saw The Specials in York a couple of years back, very strange seeing them perform their anti-establishment music to a room full of middle-aged Tory voters. Bet quite a few of them were far from Tory back in the 70/80s.

1 hour ago, stanh said:

The Weeknd / Machine Gun Kelly

Billie Eilish / Sam Fender

The Killers / Doja Cat

I feel like theres usually a MSW headliner on the cheaper end but none of these are at all. Not sure the budget stretches this far to be honest - three stadium acts

6 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

You think that's bad. People were making them at Pale Waves last month. Think some people just turn up at gigs for the excuse to clatter into people. 

They definitely do, I remember someone (might’ve been on here) once saying they’d seen pits at an Alt-J gig.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, Benj said:

Yup but at their peak QOTSA, were never headliners; they’ve somehow slowly been elevated there simply by not disappearing.

I bought Rated R the day it came out and whatever the one after that was and even I think they’re in no way ‘classic’ headliners.  

Maybe that’s why, they’ve always been 3rd at best types for me, having been there when they were at their most hyped  

That said the RATM comparisons are otherwise fair 

I think most people consider "headline status" bands as ones that hit a high point when they start secondary school and get in to music. QOTSA came out with Go With the Flow, and Noone Knows in 2002 when I started secondary and they were huge so I've always associated that with big time acts. Similar to my wife with Arctic Monkeys. Kids that are 11-15 now in 10 years will think Sam Fender and Yungblud are 2 of the biggest acts of all time even though Yungblud will be long past it and Sam Fender will be a R2 special.

This is why bands like Courteeners, Royal Blood, Catfish will never be headliner (the one true MSE). At their peak they were just filler in the "top 20" and never took off around the schools.

Edit - God status bands are those that were huge in your primary school years outside cheese pop (Steps, S Club 7 etc) - for me Foo Fighters, Gorrilaz and Eminem are possibly 3 of the greatest potential headliners there is

Edited by Chad888

To follow on from my last post, I'm curious to see what era others consider as god status headliners, huge headliners?

God Status - Ages 7-11 (being with me for life)

Jay Z, Eminem, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Gorrilaz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182, Green Day

Huge Status - Ages 11-18 (developing a music taste)

The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, Fallout Boy, Kasabian, Kanye West, Kings of Leon, Outkast, Biffy Clyro, Drake, Arctic Monkeys, Fallout Boy, Kendrick Lamar, OFWGKTA

Next Generation Status - Ages 18-25 (appreciation but past my time)

The 1975, 21 Pilots, One Republic, Panic! At the Disco, Travis Scott, Post Malone, Bring me the Horizon, Halsey, Dave, Stormzy, 5 years ago Tyler the Creator

I'm To Old Status - Ages 26+ (it's kid music and I don't get it)

Yungblud, MGK, Sam Fender, Megan Thee Stallion, Cardi B, Aitch, New Tyler the Creator

Edited by Chad888

Gorillaz yet no Blur. Deffo 10-15 or so years younger than me!

I don’t think I work that way, there’s obviously perception create by age and environment but I’m not sure it’s easily cut and dried for everyone

There are few bands/ artist from 7-11 who ar big for me, given that time was spent in the late 80s!

U2 is the only one I can think of. Maddonna, Michael Jackson types too I guess, no one who’d ever play reading now though. Metallica too to a certain extent but I was never into them then  

of bands still considered big

11-18

Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, REM

18 -25

Foo Fighters, Muse, Blink, Killers

25+

Biffy, MCR, The 1975

again everyone is different, I rarely listen to old music, as in I don’t go back to old LPs, I always want to hear new stuff, the thought of seeing Foo Fighters for the 13th time of whatever fills me with dread, would much rather see MGK or Yungblud, certainly more so than having QOTSA boring me for the 3rd-4th time or whatever it is, having seen them in 2002

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Listened to the first 2 tracks on that new MGK album and had to stop. Might be the most embarrassing thing since the last Green Day album. 

Some of them are OK (Paper cuts), some are properly, properly embarrassingly awful (drug dealer, fuck I’m still cringing 😬)

16 tracks is a massive over stretch even if most are thankfully well below 3 minutes. 

Prob could’ve made a decent 10-11 track LP, cutting out the proper soilage 

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Gorillaz yet no Blur. Deffo 10-15 or so years younger than me!

I don’t think I work that way, there’s obviously perception create by age and environment but I’m not sure it’s easily cut and dried for everyone

There are few bands/ artist from 7-11 who ar big for me, given that time was spent in the late 80s!

U2 is the only one I can think of. Maddonna, Michael Jackson types too I guess, no one who’d ever play reading now though. Metallica too to a certain extent but I was never into them then  

of bands still considered big

11-18

Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, REM

18 -25

Foo Fighters, Muse, Blink, Killers

25+

Biffy, MCR, The 1975

again everyone is different, I rarely listen to old music, as in I don’t go back to old LPs, I always want to hear new stuff, the thought of seeing Foo Fighters for the 13th time of whatever fills me with dread, would much rather see MGK or Yungblud, certainly more so than having QOTSA boring me for the 3rd-4th time or whatever it is, having seen them in 2002

Completely agree with you. I think music is tied to experiences/memories and bands that people like are usually the ones that are around at the time. These experienced/memories From music do tend to be heightened around teenage years and Early twenties.

Like yourself I can't think of any big Acts coming about in the 80s apart from the ones you mentioned, but I remember hip-hop with the likes of public enemy and the acid house rave scene exploding circa 1988. Then for me it was the euphoria around the Stone roses and happy Mondays 1989/1990 Also REM, Nirvana and Soundgarden/Sonic youth 1991/1992 followed by britpop explosion in 1993/4 with obviously Oasis v blur. By this point I was starting my twenties and haven't really been into music in a big way so a lot of the acts mentioned on here as huge have passed me by until more recently now my kids have grown up and like yourself I prefer to listen to more recent music but probably veer more to my rave and hip hop influences over my Rock influences. 

Apart from Glastonbury 2019 the only gigs I have been to in the past 25 years are de la soul, the prodigy, Oasis, stone roses and guns and roses.

On 3/28/2022 at 1:10 AM, gfa said:

Weird record given the hydro has sold out tons of times. It says for a single show (ie one date) - i guess he just had very little tickets given to press etc? Not really much of a brag imo

Aberdeen is bigger with no seats. Think it's 15k. Which is impressive. Not as impressive as selling the tens of thousands over two nights at Hampden of course, as well as his other dates doing pretty well.

15 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Fuck it, get Thom and the boys back. If Rage can out of nowhere, so can Radiohead.

MSE: Radiohead, Billie Eilish, Sam Fender

MSW: Courteeners, Twenty One Pilots, MGK

Rhead feel even more out of place than RATM for me, but it'd be an instant day ticket. 

54 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Fuck it, get Thom and the boys back. If Rage can out of nowhere, so can Radiohead.

MSE: Radiohead, Billie Eilish, Sam Fender

MSW: Courteeners, Twenty One Pilots, MGK

Radiohead themselves have said they don't think its their crowd anymore - seems incredibly unlikely. They were talked about for 2016 or 2017 i think someone else will be able to back this one up

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

Radiohead themselves have said they don't think its their crowd anymore - seems incredibly unlikely. They were talked about for 2016 or 2017 i think someone else will be able to back this one up

Didn't they say they'd never do a livenation event again?

35 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Didn't they say they'd never do a livenation event again?

Yeah they did - have they stuck to that? They've done Glastonbury but thats a fair exception, not really sure how best to check

edit: seems they stuck to it from what i can tell

Edited by gfa