2023 Festival

TheWaters

26 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

As still kinda a student, I can assure you some of these are definitely still uni anthems. Oasis, Mr Brightside and Sugar are all still well loved. Alongside Welcome to the Black Parade

The most obscure of references here but if anyone's ever been to Camel Club in Huddersfield on a Friday night you'll know most cult songs of 90s-00's still go down well. Many a good night was had in there at uni.

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

The most obscure of references here but if anyone's ever been to Camel Club in Huddersfield on a Friday night you'll know most cult songs of 90s-00's still go down well. Many a good night was had in there at uni.

Camel Club brings back a lot of memories

11 hours ago, Chad888 said:

You can say the exact same with RATM though. Killing in the name of, and Bulls on Parade. That's it, then it's just some obscure grunge rock band that gets turned off. 

Heck, Foos have every long, learn to fly, pretender, best of you.

Outside of their dedicated fans it's all just filler. They fit the theme of rock that the 16 year old attendees dads listened to when they were 20, literally early 00's.

Yup but at their peak QOTSA, were never headliners; they’ve somehow slowly been elevated there simply by not disappearing.

I bought Rated R the day it came out and whatever the one after that was and even I think they’re in no way ‘classic’ headliners.  

Maybe that’s why, they’ve always been 3rd at best types for me, having been there when they were at their most hyped  

That said the RATM comparisons are otherwise fair 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, Benj said:

Fella seems to have dropped it somewhere. 

Re- QOTSA, are they really that popular off this board?  Surely Royal Blood or Foals would be a better bet with the crowd now, to fill that guitar band not quite big enough to headline outright crown. 

My views may well be skewed by the fact no one knows (see what I did there) who the hell they are, out of pretty much every casual fan I know, despite the fact they may recognise 1-2 of their tunes. 

Prob same with Royal Blood or Foals to be honest but at least they’ve made relevant records in the past decade. 

Last album was number one here in the UK so I guess they're not that obscure. They've always been one of the bigger names in 21st Century rock.

And re: Foals and Royal Blood. I'm amazed the festival haven't bothered to ask the former to return considering how many chances they've had since their 2016 set which went down an absolute storm, and surely the latter are long overdue a headline slot?

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Last album was number one here in the UK so I guess they're not that obscure. They've always been one of the bigger names in 21st Century rock.

And re: Foals and Royal Blood. I'm amazed the festival haven't bothered to ask the former to return considering how many chances they've had since their 2016 set which went down an absolute storm, and surely the latter are long overdue a headline slot?

Not the number one argument again 🙈

Theyre obviously a big name in the genre, I don’t think they there is any main stream appeal there at all though.

A schedule filler as opposed to ticket seller

16 hours ago, Benj said:

Not the number one argument again 🙈

Theyre obviously a big name in the genre, I don’t think they there is any main stream appeal there at all though.

A schedule filler as opposed to ticket seller

I know success is also measured by streams on Spotify nowadays, but scoring a number one album, which followed an album that charted at number 2, is hardly a sign of an obscure underground artist.

2 hours ago, VCK said:

I know success is also measured by streams on Spotify nowadays, but scoring a number one album, which followed an album that charted at number 2, is hardly a sign of an obscure underground artist.

The Snuts and the Lathums want you booking headline festival slots. 

60,000 GLOBAL album sales of their last LP 🤣

The Snuts sold over 20,000 in the UK alone for some kind of context

QOTSA are not a mainstream festival, ticket shifting headliner.

Good solid undercard stuff but would be a weak booking now as an MSW headliner. MSE/ old skool setup Sub would still be fine I think, if a little uninspiring for most attendees I imagine

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

The Snuts and the Lathums want you booking headline festival slots. 

60,000 GLOBAL album sales of their last LP 🤣

The Snuts sold over 20,000 in the UK alone for some kind of context

QOTSA are not a mainstream festival, ticket shifting headliner.

Good solid undercard stuff but would be a weak booking now as an MSW headliner. MSE/ old skool setup Sub would still be fine I think, if a little uninspiring for most attendees I imagine

I'd argue using the metric for QOTSA is quite different. Bands like Snuts and Lathums sell 80% of the albums alongside tickets in the way. No stranger booking QOTSA on MSE as booking RATM on MSW is.

I don't think they were being suggested for MSE also

46 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Apparently the biggest indoor show in Scotland ever ^ it's been amazing watching him blow up

Weird record given the hydro has sold out tons of times. It says for a single show (ie one date) - i guess he just had very little tickets given to press etc? Not really much of a brag imo

9 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Apparently the biggest indoor show in Scotland ever ^ it's been amazing watching him blow up

Saw someone on my Twitter the other day call him "the best songwriter in a generation." Seems like a bold bold claim but his message is clearly speaking to the kids. Nailed on MSW headliner in 2023/24.

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I said that previously and got about five downvotes, got Radio 2 written all over him in a few years. Deserves to headline though a you say, his rise has been mad.

Decent mainstream pop music. 

Find him far more interesting that Harry Styles who a few on here seem to think is some kind of barrier busting savant. 

That said, deffo radio 2 fodder

Not sure why people have got it out for Sam Fender, i'm not a huge fan but would prefer him to courteeners getting the bump up. aka - hes a great booking for them to get and theres plenty of worse options.

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not sure why people have got it out for Sam Fender, i'm not a huge fan but would prefer him to courteeners getting the bump up. aka - hes a great booking for them to get and theres plenty of worse options.

He's without a doubt the most current, on-trend UK guitar act around at the minute so that should get him the nod for 2023, well-deserved too. Personally speaking though, and this is the same for any act, not just Fender, I like my live music to be upbeat. At a festival I don't want slow social commentaries about how bleak the world is. As you say, plenty of worse options about at the minute though.

6 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

He's without a doubt the most current, on-trend UK guitar act around at the minute so that should get him the nod for 2023, well-deserved too. Personally speaking though, and this is the same for any act, not just Fender, I like my live music to be upbeat. At a festival I don't want slow social commentaries about how bleak the world is. As you say, plenty of worse options about at the minute though.

He’s got plenty of upbeat tracks.. that sound, saturday, The Leveller, Mantra

17 hours ago, gfa said:

Weird record given the hydro has sold out tons of times. It says for a single show (ie one date) - i guess he just had very little tickets given to press etc? Not really much of a brag imo

There is some talk that they've made some changes which have increased the maximum capacity and that this was one of the first big shows since.  He also didn't have the sort of additional staging that a lot of arena acts have. But yeah it does sound like a bit of a technicality rather than him genuinely being the most popular act to play there, though admittedly him filling it at all is a rapid rise.