2023 Festival

TheWaters

Lots of weird names on the other act list that stand out - Bicep, Peggy Gou, Caribou and Bonobo all on there that would not normally play. Hope we get them - my taste has drifted from a lot of what R&L book but that would get me right back.

EDIT: probably means the dance stage will be sticking around as this is a clear shift towards booking more dance if these choices turn out popular

Edited by gfa

I always find the headliner list on the survey a bit odd. They'd never book most of these to play. I don't see most of these playing the festival ever, they're just not the R&L demographic anymore. Like what are they going to do if everyone asks for Blur? Show it to Damon and try and get them to reunite Blur? It's just not happening. When they get back together they'll probably do their own gigs, couple of Hyde Park ones and Glastonbury. They're not coming to R&L, no matter how much people want them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I always find the headliner list on the survey a bit odd. They'd never book most of these to play. I don't see most of these playing the festival ever, they're just not the R&L demographic anymore. Like what are they going to do if everyone asks for Blur? Show it to Damon and try and get them to reunite Blur? It's just not happening. When they get back together they'll probably do their own gigs, couple of Hyde Park ones and Glastonbury. They're not coming to R&L, no matter how much people want them.

If theres demand to AM levels then R&L will offer them the AM paycheck, which they'd probably agree to. Worth a shot i guess?

I went for

5 headliners my choice 

Metallica, Billie Eilish, MGK, MCR & Jack White

3 headliners out of selection

Green Day, Tame Impala & The Strokes

5 non headliners my choice

Yungblud, Turnstile, The Mysterines, The Reytons & Bob Vylan

3 non headliners out of selection

Turnstile, MGK & Yungblud

What did everyone else go for?

9 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I’d love to see the results of these polls. I reckon it’s just AM every year topping the poll. I reckon AM will probably top this years poll and they are doing it this year.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

They’d be able to book a similar act though on the assumption that they might be reasonably popular with people interested in going to the festival. I don’t think the survey counts for much really but it probably helps them understand who their demographics are. Admittedly that includes people like me filling it in asking for Arcade Fire when I know that’s very unlikely to happen and I’m even less likely to go, but there’s probably plenty of people asking for specific acts who the festival might be more keen to book. As Matt says though, I imagine a lot of it is just people asking for Arctic Monkeys every year.

My own headliners: Kanye West, Paramore, The 1975, The Weeknd & The Strokes. 

Their headliners: My Chemical Romance, Blink-182 & Tyler, The Creator.

My other acts: Architects, Machine Gun Kelly, IDLES, YUNGBLUD & Weezer

Their other acts: Turnstile, Architects & MGK (again).   

Edited by Andre91

Headliners: Drake, Travis Scott, Sam Fender, Doja Cat, The Killers

Headliners (R&L Selection): Drake, Travis Scott, Harry Styles

Non-Headliners: Jorja Smith, Playboi Carti, Becky Hill, Rex Orange County, Olivia Rodrigo

Non-Headliners (R&L Selection): Jorja Smith, Becky Hill, Loyle Carner

2 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Queens surely wont do MSE after booked for msw before, also can't see anyone like Joyner Lucas getting booked for reading he is awful and not at all relevant. I think the rest looks accurate though, maybe swap QOTSA for someone like Green Day

Eminem said he was passing the "Rap god" torch to Joyner. 2 years ago he was seemingly trying to bring Joyner up, in the same way RATM demanded that RTJ sub them.

QOTSA are a defined R&L headliner (2014), they were more or less given the MSW slot because they are happy to play anywhere as an established band. With their secret set 2017, they were approached for 2018 but didn't have space in their schedule, booked for 2021 and had to drop out. Makes sense they'd finally come. Green Day days are over I think. 

To run their list with the way I formulated their MSE headliners:

Urban // SZA, Cardi B, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Doja Cat, Eminem, Billie Eilish, Miley Cyrus, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, Chase & Status, Olivia Rodrigo, Tyler the Creator

Legacy Bands // Prodigy, My Chemical Romance, Radiohead, Greenday, Guns N Roses, Coldplay, Blur, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182, Muse, 

Indie Anthems // Paramore, Royal Blood, Sam Fender, The Strokes, Killers, Foals, Harry Styles, The 1975, Panic At The Disco, Florence and the Machine, Lana Del Rey, Tame Impala

MSE >> Tyler the Creator | The 1975 | The Killers

MSW >> Sam Fender | Doja Cat | SZA

32 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Eminem said he was passing the "Rap god" torch to Joyner. 2 years ago he was seemingly trying to bring Joyner up, in the same way RATM demanded that RTJ sub them.

QOTSA are a defined R&L headliner (2014), they were more or less given the MSW slot because they are happy to play anywhere as an established band. With their secret set 2017, they were approached for 2018 but didn't have space in their schedule, booked for 2021 and had to drop out. Makes sense they'd finally come. Green Day days are over I think. 

Fella seems to have dropped it somewhere. 

Re- QOTSA, are they really that popular off this board?  Surely Royal Blood or Foals would be a better bet with the crowd now, to fill that guitar band not quite big enough to headline outright crown. 

My views may well be skewed by the fact no one knows (see what I did there) who the hell they are, out of pretty much every casual fan I know, despite the fact they may recognise 1-2 of their tunes. 

Prob same with Royal Blood or Foals to be honest but at least they’ve made relevant records in the past decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Re- QOTSA, are they really that popular off this board?  Surely Royal Blood or Foals would be a better bet with the crowd now, to fill that guitar band not quite big enough to headline outright crown. 

My views may well be skewed by the fact no one knows (see what I did there) who the hell they are, out of pretty much every casual fan I know, despite the fact they may recognise 1-2 of their tunes. 

Prob same with Royal Blood or Foals to be honest but at least they’ve made relevant records in the past decade. 

You can say the exact same with RATM though. Killing in the name of, and Bulls on Parade. That's it, then it's just some obscure grunge rock band that gets turned off. 

Heck, Foos have every long, learn to fly, pretender, best of you.

Outside of their dedicated fans it's all just filler. They fit the theme of rock that the 16 year old attendees dads listened to when they were 20, literally early 00's.

2 hours ago, Benj said:

I think Foals and Royal Blood are definitely better bookings - especially Foals. QOTSA are definitely still in contention though given they pulled out as recent as last year. They are still definitely high up on the choices list

7 hours ago, Chad888 said:

University anthems describes the other stage well I think;

Kasabians clubfoot, everything by Oasis, early Arctic Monkeys, 1975s Chocolate, Killers Mr Brightside, 21Ps Stressed Out, Paramores Hard Times, Fallout Boys Sugar were going down.

Can assure you, as a university student, these are no longer what people are calling anthems.

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I'm 20 and have never heard of Joyner Lucas who is down as mainstage east sub. Pretty random booking - his spotify stats look decent enough but for that slot a much more prominent rapper could be booked ??

His last UK dates were 2 nights in 2019 at the electric ballroom....?

Heard of him but never listened to him, I know he's championed by Eminem but always thought of him as another Royce da 5'9 without any of the legacy that comes with it, would be the emptiest crowd a sub would ever see

8 hours ago, Chad888 said:

You can say the exact same with RATM though. Killing in the name of, and Bulls on Parade. That's it, then it's just some obscure grunge rock band that gets turned off. 

Heck, Foos have every long, learn to fly, pretender, best of you.

Outside of their dedicated fans it's all just filler. They fit the theme of rock that the 16 year old attendees dads listened to when they were 20, literally early 00's.

RATM grunge!? Naaaah. 

You can say that about many, many bands. 

I will sometimes say a band is grunge knowing it's a stupid word to describe them if the person I'm talking to is too ignorant to know the difference. I've been doing that to describe Nine Inch Nails to certain people recently otherwise they think they are a metal band like Metallica.

9 hours ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Can assure you, as a university student, these are no longer what people are calling anthems.

As still kinda a student, I can assure you some of these are definitely still uni anthems. Oasis, Mr Brightside and Sugar are all still well loved. Alongside Welcome to the Black Parade

17 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

As still kinda a student, I can assure you some of these are definitely still uni anthems. Oasis, Mr Brightside and Sugar are all still well loved. Alongside Welcome to the Black Parade

Could just be me frequenting the wrong places, don't think i've heard FOB or MCR more than a handful of times the entire time i've been here, Oasis and Mr. Brightside are obviously different but can't see anyone ever seeking them out as they're over played as it is