2023 Festival

TheWaters

On 3/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, Chad888 said:

I think guaranteed headliners next year:

Eminem, Sam Fender, Doja Cat

Then, it's been 5 years so we will see likely 1975 back, giving us...

Eminem // The 1975 // ....

Sam Fender // Doja Cat // ....

Those last 2 spots, I'm not to sure...

Eminem and 1975 are both expensive bookings but both a little underwhelming still, and R&L like to book legacy Rock acts - Muse, KoL, Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher, RATM, Queens of the Stone Age. Eminem is legacy but hip hop. Something left field like RHCP, Greenday, Blink 182?

The MSW is being used as a stepping stone to give acts that aren't big enough to headline normally, but too big to play undercard a chance to step up. Somebody like Yungblud, Machine Gun Kelly, Royal Blood.

To conclude:

The 1975 // Eminem // Blink 182

Doja Cat // Sam Fender // Royal Blood

No chance of blink-182 ever headlining again unless Tom comes back. The hype of a second reunion could carry them but with Skiba they're just not at that level anymore. 

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Debated whether to trade MCR for 21p but I’m not sure if MCR will tour two summers in a row.

There were rumours of them releasing new material and if that’s the case then they’ll definitely tour it but just depends whether there is something new in the pipeline. 

R&L seem to hit all the demographics with their 3 main headliners. Urban, harder Rock, younger fan Rock (I mean the uni hall anthems of the last 10 years that still play in student nights).

The last 5 years, ignoring the anomaly that was 2021

Urban - Dave, Stormzy, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Disclosure

Harder rock - RATM, RATM, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Muse, RHCP

Younger rock - Arctic Monkeys, Liam Gallagher, 1975, Fallout Boy, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro (plus 21 Pilots and Foals were co-headliners)

The addition of 3 new lesser MSW headliners seem to be to give headline pedigree to those that otherwise don't have enough really to step up, but would be to big to sub.

The question to who will be headlining is who is in those pools. Normally they go expensive on 2 and cheaper on 1, a good whack at some names...

Harder rock: Foos, Blink 182, KoL, RHCP, Metallica, Green Day, MCR, Slipknot, QOTSA

Younger rock: Killers, Kasabian, 21 Pilots, Fallout Boy, Panic! At the Disco, Foals, Libertines, Tame Impala, Paramore, 1975

Urban: Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Cardi B, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Travis Scott, Tyler the Creator

I don’t think KOL and RHCP can be classed as harder rock. It’s basically ‘classic’ headliner rather than heavy rock. Killers could be moved in there, as could Libertines, except they’re not big enough any more

Classic Guitar

New Alternative

Rap/ Pop

4 hours ago, foolee said:

There were rumours of them releasing new material and if that’s the case then they’ll definitely tour it but just depends whether there is something new in the pipeline. 

It would be incredibly strange to do create a load of hype with those teaser videos, do a world tour and not release new music. Their 2023 tour ends in March in Australia so I'd guess they'll then do EU and US fests in July-Sept 2023 then an EU arena tour late 2023/early 2024

2 hours ago, Benj said:

I don’t think KOL and RHCP can be classed as harder rock. It’s basically ‘classic’ headliner rather than heavy rock. Killers could be moved in there, as could Libertines, except they’re not big enough any more

Classic Guitar

New Alternative

Rap/ Pop

Thats a better description, I didn't know how to class it.

Something for the dads?  Bands from the 90s and 00s? I've always described described as legacy bands, not as far back as Smashing Punpkins, more 2002 onwards.

University anthems describes the other stage well I think;

Kasabians clubfoot, everything by Oasis, early Arctic Monkeys, 1975s Chocolate, Killers Mr Brightside, 21Ps Stressed Out, Paramores Hard Times, Fallout Boys Sugar were going down.

MSE >> Queens of the Stone Age | The 1975 | Eminem

MSW >> 21 Pilots | Sam Fender | Doja Cat 

QOTSA > MGK

Eminem > Joyner Lucas

The 1975 > Rex Orange County

21 Pilots > Yungblud

Sam Fender > Wombats

Doja Cat > Pusha T

MSE: ROYAL BLOOD, The Prodigy, Idles, Don Broco, Neck Deep, Skindred, Tigercub, Malevolence, Static Dress MSW: DOJA CAT, Olivia Rodrigo, The Kooks, Pale Waves, Pinkpantheress, Shame, Nova Twins, Kid Kapachi DS: Hannah Wants LU: Dropkick Murphys RX1: Jpegmafia 

MSE: THE 1975, Sam Fender, Jamie T, Easy Life, Feeder, The Lathums, The Mysterines, The K's MSW: KENDRICK LAMAR, Skepta, Becky Hill, Bad Boy Chiller Crew, The Hunna, Arddee, Dinosaur Pile Up, Wargasm DS: Pendulum Pit: While She Sleeps R1X: Example 

MSE:  FLORENCE + THE MACHINE, The Wombats, Sigrid, The Snuts, Gang Of Youths, Wet Leg, CVC MSW: MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE, MGK, Parkway Drive, Jimmy Eat World ,Turnstile, Creeper, Cleopatrick,Higher Power, Strange Bones DS: Patrick Toppin FR: Rat Boy R1X: Iann Dior

41 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

MSE: ROYAL BLOOD, The Prodigy, Idles, Don Broco, Neck Deep, Skindred, Tigercub, Malevolence, Static Dress MSW: DOJA CAT, Olivia Rodrigo, The Kooks, Pale Waves, Pinkpantheress, Shame, Nova Twins, Kid Kapachi DS: Hannah Wants LU: Dropkick Murphys RX1: Jpegmafia 

MSE: THE 1975, Sam Fender, Jamie T, Easy Life, Feeder, The Lathums, The Mysterines, The K's MSW: KENDRICK LAMAR, Skepta, Becky Hill, Bad Boy Chiller Crew, The Hunna, Arddee, Dinosaur Pile Up, Wargasm DS: Pendulum Pit: While She Sleeps R1X: Example 

MSE:  FLORENCE + THE MACHINE, The Wombats, Sigrid, The Snuts, Gang Of Youths, Wet Leg, CVC MSW: MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE, MGK, Parkway Drive, Jimmy Eat World ,Turnstile, Creeper, Cleopatrick,Higher Power, Strange Bones DS: Patrick Toppin FR: Rat Boy R1X: Iann Dior

You have your mainstage east and west mixed up (i think?). Assuming this, 1975 aren't going to move down to MSW, they are firmly the closing act now after their headline set in 2019

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Thats a better description, I didn't know how to class it.

Something for the dads?  Bands from the 90s and 00s? I've always described described as legacy bands, not as far back as Smashing Punpkins, more 2002 onwards.

University anthems describes the other stage well I think;

Kasabians clubfoot, everything by Oasis, early Arctic Monkeys, 1975s Chocolate, Killers Mr Brightside, 21Ps Stressed Out, Paramores Hard Times, Fallout Boys Sugar were going down.

MSE >> Queens of the Stone Age | The 1975 | Eminem

MSW >> 21 Pilots | Sam Fender | Doja Cat 

QOTSA > MGK

Eminem > Joyner Lucas

The 1975 > Rex Orange County

21 Pilots > Yungblud

Sam Fender > Wombats

Doja Cat > Pusha T

Queens surely wont do MSE after booked for msw before, also can't see anyone like Joyner Lucas getting booked for reading he is awful and not at all relevant. I think the rest looks accurate though, maybe swap QOTSA for someone like Green Day

Edited by NoBuses

50 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

Sam Fender isn't subbing MSE after doing that same slot in 2021 and blowing up massively since, he'd headline that stage as well. Same as what @gfa said about 1975 too

I'm 20 and have never heard of Joyner Lucas who is down as mainstage east sub. Pretty random booking - his spotify stats look decent enough but for that slot a much more prominent rapper could be booked ??

His last UK dates were 2 nights in 2019 at the electric ballroom....?

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I'm 20 and have never heard of Joyner Lucas who is down as mainstage east sub. Pretty random booking - his spotify stats look decent enough but for that slot a much more prominent rapper could be booked ??

His last UK dates were 2 nights in 2019 at the electric ballroom....?

He is awful, a bog standard eminem rip off