2023 Festival

TheWaters

On 3/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, andyrhodes24 said:

They're not uninspiring in the way that KoL are, but 90% of people who would watch The Killers would be there for Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me etc, it's the same as people seeing KoL for Sex on Fire (except Killers' have more top level songs).

And yeah, agree about them not playing R&L for 15 years being crazy, they would have gone down far better than some of the dross we've had since, e.g. KoL.

Isn't top level songs what its all about? They have tons of hits that people know - what more could you really want from a headline set?

8 hours ago, roughbloke said:

Pure speculation but I think we will see machine gun Kelly in one of those 6 headliner slots next year 

Would make sense considering he wasn’t booked again this year after pulling out. He’s got 2 albums out this year as well. Think he’ll play the O2 towards the end of this year and headline next year if he doesn’t slot in before Halsey this year. 

This would be cool and feasible. I do wonder if Doja and Sam will still be touring next year though. 

The 1975 / Machine Gun Kelly

Paramore / Doja Cat

Eminem / Sam Fender

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Would make sense considering he wasn’t booked again this year after pulling out. He’s got 2 albums out this year as well. Think he’ll play the O2 towards the end of this year and headline next year if he doesn’t slot in before Halsey this year. 

This would be cool and feasible. I do wonder if Doja and Sam will still be touring next year though. 

The 1975 / Machine Gun Kelly

Paramore / Doja Cat

Eminem / Sam Fender

With those 6, i'd expect someone a bit stronger than paramore to play.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:38 AM, foolee said:

image.png.7002a5de08602a3910d0bdb5e95a758d.png

and just like that

On 3/19/2022 at 1:06 PM, gfa said:

Isn't top level songs what its all about? They have tons of hits that people know - what more could you really want from a headline set?

For subs and headliners the vast majority of the setlist should be more widely know. If it's all about that one big song, any tik tok artist with 300m+ plays on one track could headline. 

45 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

For subs and headliners the vast majority of the setlist should be more widely know. If it's all about that one big song, any tik tok artist with 300m+ plays on one track could headline. 

This is the same Killers we're talking about? They have plenty of well known songs - what other indie rock act would you suggest instead i'm confused. Just as well-known as any indie rock headliner we've had recently except Liam Gallagher and thats only because he belts out oasis songs??

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is the same Killers we're talking about? They have plenty of well known songs - what other indie rock act would you suggest instead i'm confused. Just as well-known as any indie rock headliner we've had recently except Liam Gallagher and thats only because he belts out oasis songs??

What I was meaning originally was that The Killers would be an easy booking, but not as inspired or groundbreaking as the likes of BMTH, Halsey. Yeah The Killers have the hits and they'd be a good booking, particularly for the indie crowd, but there's more interesting acts out there surely. They're are an obvious, safe choice but they haven't had a properly good record out since Sam's Town in 2006, and most of the crowd would go for Mr Brightside.

5 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

What I was meaning originally was that The Killers would be an easy booking, but not as inspired or groundbreaking as the likes of BMTH, Halsey. Yeah The Killers have the hits and they'd be a good booking, particularly for the indie crowd, but there's more interesting acts out there surely. They're are an obvious, safe choice but they haven't had a properly good record out since Sam's Town in 2006, and most of the crowd would go for Mr Brightside.

Killers are a very different booking to BMTH and Halsey. The festival always has a very safe rock booking - AM, LG, Kol, Foos, Muse+Kasabian all in recent years. Its been a while and their glastonbury performance shows they still go down well

They are an older act, its never going to be particularly groundbreaking - LG last year wasn't groundbreaking and went down well and no doubt AM will this year too.

I think guaranteed headliners next year:

Eminem, Sam Fender, Doja Cat

Then, it's been 5 years so we will see likely 1975 back, giving us...

Eminem // The 1975 // ....

Sam Fender // Doja Cat // ....

Those last 2 spots, I'm not to sure...

Eminem and 1975 are both expensive bookings but both a little underwhelming still, and R&L like to book legacy Rock acts - Muse, KoL, Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher, RATM, Queens of the Stone Age. Eminem is legacy but hip hop. Something left field like RHCP, Greenday, Blink 182?

The MSW is being used as a stepping stone to give acts that aren't big enough to headline normally, but too big to play undercard a chance to step up. Somebody like Yungblud, Machine Gun Kelly, Royal Blood.

To conclude:

The 1975 // Eminem // Blink 182

Doja Cat // Sam Fender // Royal Blood

Red Hot Chili Peppers - the pinnacle of leftfield. They do have Frusciante back but i don't think that makes a difference - they were always going to easily sell their day tickets

I'm not sure if Eminem is worth the ££ anymore - theres so many more headline level rappers than when he was last booked that I don't know if they would go to him.

4 hours ago, gfa said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - the pinnacle of leftfield. They do have Frusciante back but i don't think that makes a difference - they were always going to easily sell their day tickets

I'm not sure if Eminem is worth the ££ anymore - theres so many more headline level rappers than when he was last booked that I don't know if they would go to him.

Dunno if worth the money is what R&L fully go for tbh. He’s a massive name and if they can book him they will.

6 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I think guaranteed headliners next year:

Eminem, Sam Fender, Doja Cat

Then, it's been 5 years so we will see likely 1975 back, giving us...

Eminem // The 1975 // ....

Sam Fender // Doja Cat // ....

Those last 2 spots, I'm not to sure...

Eminem and 1975 are both expensive bookings but both a little underwhelming still, and R&L like to book legacy Rock acts - Muse, KoL, Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher, RATM, Queens of the Stone Age. Eminem is legacy but hip hop. Something left field like RHCP, Greenday, Blink 182?

The MSW is being used as a stepping stone to give acts that aren't big enough to headline normally, but too big to play undercard a chance to step up. Somebody like Yungblud, Machine Gun Kelly, Royal Blood.

To conclude:

The 1975 // Eminem // Blink 182

Doja Cat // Sam Fender // Royal Blood

I'm 90% sure Yungblud is playing and if he is he isnt lower then those slots. 1975 I can see as I can Blink but not Eminem. Sam Fender to take his slot and YB under him. YB has been a staple booking for 5 years with this year being the one he isnt playing so i can see him returning.

TBH I wish theyd do away with this 6 headliner bullshit.

13 hours ago, wghennessy said:

I'm 90% sure Yungblud is playing and if he is he isnt lower then those slots. 1975 I can see as I can Blink but not Eminem. Sam Fender to take his slot and YB under him. YB has been a staple booking for 5 years with this year being the one he isnt playing so i can see him returning.

TBH I wish theyd do away with this 6 headliner bullshit.

Yungblud was a replacement in 2021 and wasn't booked in 2020. Hardly a staple booking although will be back i reckon