2023 Festival

TheWaters

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Metallica in 2023 wouldn’t shock me at all. I think they’re just as decent a shout as any other massive band at this stage. 

I would have said so if I didn't expect them at Download '23, I think they'll do one or the other. 2022 marks a decade long Metallica absence from Download and the festival is long overdue an exciting year. 

29 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I would've said the same about RATM and BMTH too this time last year! Heaviest year since Metallica in 2015, I'm open to L+R actually surprising me again. Shit, now that I mention it, get Metallica back in, why not. 

Edit: not this time last year, should have said before RATM were announced for the year that got canned

The thing is I could still see R&L booking acts like Metallica as they’ve got a history with the festival, the same as BMTH and RATM. The only reason Metallica wouldn’t do it would be to get more money from their own show or playing Download instead. Just don’t think Tame Impala or Gorillaz would do it. Possible that it opens up for Tame Impala now with 6 headliners but I think they’d rather play Glastonbury, APE or Latitude when they’re touring, similar to Gorillaz really. 

18 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

Blink 182 to return? I mean its been a while...are they even headline material anymore?

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

As soon as Tom returns, they’ll return. 

Markus Hoppus is cancer-free now so maybe that'll rope Tom in for a bit of a victory lap. 

Tom's also looking not-so-crazy these days after the US government has basically confirmed a lot of what he's been saying about UFOs. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Wait what

You miss all this? UFOs that the government has come out and said they have no explanation for.

UFOs, not aliens. They're not saying aliens are flying them. They just have no idea what the hell they are.

Which is pretty much what Delonge has been talking about this whole time, AATs "advanced aerial threats"

Edited by BenG92

3 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Wait what

The US Navy and Government confirmed that the Air Force footage Tom was pushing is indeed an Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) and they don’t know where it came from. 

Tom DeLonge has genuinely done more for disclosure that pretty much anyone else in history. He’s legit. 

44 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Markus Hoppus is cancer-free now so maybe that'll rope Tom in for a bit of a victory lap. 

Tom's also looking not-so-crazy these days after the US government has basically confirmed a lot of what he's been saying about UFOs. 

Last Angel and Airwaves album is v good. Would happily have them somewhere on the lineup.

Again perhaps a loss due to no more Big Tent

55 minutes ago, Benj said:

Last Angel and Airwaves album is v good. Would happily have them somewhere on the lineup.

Again perhaps a loss due to no more Big Tent

Agreed, the latest Angels and Airwaves album is very good. Would love to see them at R&L this year and I reckon it’s possible. 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

As soon as Tom returns, they’ll return. 

2 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Blink 182 to return? I mean its been a while...are they even headline material anymore?

Still get 13 mil listens a month on spotify.

I think due to the Mark situation once Tom has finished up with the current Angels and Airwaves run I think he’ll re join blink and headline R&L in 2023 or 2024. With Paramore coming back I can’t see them both headlining in the same year though so I’m inclined to think they’ll be back for 2024. 

7 minutes ago, foolee said:

Agreed, the latest Angels and Airwaves album is very good. Would love to see them at R&L this year and I reckon it’s possible. 

I think due to the Mark situation once Tom has finished up with the current Angels and Airwaves run I think he’ll re join blink and headline R&L in 2023 or 2024. With Paramore coming back I can’t see them both headlining in the same year though so I’m inclined to think they’ll be back for 2024. 

That’s my thought too. It’s inevitable. 

I still think Blink would go down well these days at R&L. 

1 hour ago, Hart Attack said:

Wait what

The US disclosures on UFOs echo exactly what Tom's been saying about ETs being related to consciousness, they are from higher planes but can come in and out of our reality but not being physical beings but being able to manifest a physical form for this dimension but only temporarily. Also that the CIA gave Google the tech for Google Earth, in return Google offer their AI computer systems to aide in the translation of ET messages. Absolutly insane disclosure from the CIA in the last 6 months gone so unnoticed because it isn't a Blurry tic tac filmed from a fighter jet.

I think Rage represent the last of that style act, sort of like R&L are seeing off those kind of head banging rock acts with a bang, because the crowd just doesn't seem to be responsive to it anymore. Those who won't ordinarily buy a ticket but are cause its Rage are shrinking by the day. The people who would have went for Rage, and Eminem etc have children now that probably see themselves as too old for the festival (20s).

We will see a further move to the tik tok Radio 1 zeitgeist in 2023. In 2020 Radio 1 did a full day special show hosted by Annie Mac to celebrate the fact Stormzy was the first black person to headline. They did a similar show this year to celebrate women headlining. The crowd are very responsive to this too I feel. It will be something almost unrecognisable to what R&L was...

The Weeknd / Billie Eilish / 1975

21 Pilots / Paramore / Kasabian

Edited by Chad888

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 7:06 PM, Chad888 said:

I think Rage represent the last of that style act, sort of like R&L are seeing off those kind of head banging rock acts with a bang, because the crowd just doesn't seem to be responsive to it anymore. Those who won't ordinarily buy a ticket but are cause its Rage are shrinking by the day. The people who would have went for Rage, and Eminem etc have children now that probably see themselves as too old for the festival (20s).

We will see a further move to the tik tok Radio 1 zeitgeist in 2023. In 2020 Radio 1 did a full day special show hosted by Annie Mac to celebrate the fact Stormzy was the first black person to headline. They did a similar show this year to celebrate women headlining. The crowd are very responsive to this too I feel. It will be something almost unrecognisable to what R&L was...

The Weeknd / Billie Eilish / 1975

21 Pilots / Paramore / Kasabian

I agree completely, if we thought R&L has changed over the last 5-10 years we haven't seen anything yet. Personally I don't like that we're seeing more and more tik tok artists but that's where the school leavers are getting their music and it's opening the festival up to more popular/female/mainstream acts which from an unselfish standpoint is a good thing. Hate to say it but when Download eventually moves with the times and books fresh headliners I'll probably sack R&L off

On 1/13/2022 at 7:06 PM, Chad888 said:

In 2020 Radio 1 did a full day special show hosted by Annie Mac to celebrate the fact Stormzy was the first black person to headline. They did a similar show this year to celebrate women headlining.

That seems silly since there's been both black headliners before like Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Kendrick Lamar and female headliners like Patti Smith, Bjork, Paramore way before this and last year.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon one of the headliners next year is Eminem

Right now I’d say three of the headliners are Sam Fender, Eminem, and Paramore.

Paramore x YUNGBLUD 

Eminem x Doja Cat 

The Killers (or Muse) x Sam Fender 

Ticks a lot of boxes. 

Edited by Andre91

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Paramore x YUNGBLUD 

Eminem x Doja Cat 

The Killers (or Muse) x Sam Fender 

Ticks a lot of boxes. 

Eminem / Paramore

Twenty One Pilots / Sam Fender

Fall Out Boy / AJ Tracey

Doja is touring this year so I can’t see it.

Edited by Matt42

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Eminem / Paramore

Twenty One Pilots / Sam Fender

Fall Out Boy / AJ Tracey

Doja is touring this year so I can’t see it.

I’m not sure TOP, Sam Fender and FOB will be touring either next year. I’m guessing one of Eminem, Kendrick or The Weeknd for our big rap headliner. I’d say Paramore are nailed on and Muse are a great shout with the new album out this year. 

Paramore / Kasabian

Eminem / YUNGBLUD

Muse / Cardi B

1 hour ago, foolee said:

I’m not sure TOP, Sam Fender and FOB will be touring either next year. I’m guessing one of Eminem, Kendrick or The Weeknd for our big rap headliner. I’d say Paramore are nailed on and Muse are a great shout with the new album out this year. 

Paramore / Kasabian

Eminem / YUNGBLUD

Muse / Cardi B

Think Cardi B would be MSE. She’s quite big. Not a bad bunch though.

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Paramore / Kasabian

Eminem / YUNGBLUD

Muse / Cardi B

I'm going to take this and put MCR in for Muse instead.