2023 Festival

TheWaters

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

The trouble with the 6 headliners thing is in reality there are 3 bone fide headliners and 3 glorified subs/co headliners.

Whichever way we try to look at it, we’ve really got 3 main headliners and three second stage headliners.

2021 and 2022 line ups seem to back this up, as do most peoples guesses/predictions for next year.

There’s no way Bring me the horizon or Halsey would sub the old R1 though

59 minutes ago, Sorcha17 said:

271195642_5375313189151190_5329944629983

Screw it, was bored

Some good shouts here but I think some acts are a bit low. Can’t see them bagging Blankpink below anything other than a headline. Blackpinks management consider them one of the biggest acts in the world.

1 hour ago, Sorcha17 said:

271195642_5375313189151190_5329944629983

Screw it, was bored

These headliners would go down pretty well, i'd maybe replace MCR with a more traditional rock name, Killers or RHCP would fill the slot well i think. The undercard is questionable at best:

Louis The Child has 0 following here no idea why he is above say Wizkid who played the O2 and is doing his own outdoor london show this year or Jorja Smith who headlined boardmasters last year.

Cannot see Blackpink at Reading - especially in a special guest. Completely random, a special guest would be a much more standard R&L act I assume? Not sure i see phoebe bridgers at reading either honestly.

Aitch probably would be logo in 2023, i had to zoom into read who that is next to DMA's - I have never even heard of Rina Sawayama and not a chance is she a third down.

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rina could get a slot like that if she has another successful album. She is pretty well known. 

Not heard of her once, fair enough. Seems like a strange booking though vs someone standard for the festival in such a high slot. On the glasto thread people were talking about her playing afternoon on John Peel which doesn't really reflect that Reading slot

Edited by gfa

55 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Oh yes, I agree with that . Just saying that there is a clear difference in the size of bands on the East Main stage compared to the west so we don’t really get six main headliners.

The three main stage West headliners are clearly the real headliners (confirmed further by them playing last)

12 hours ago, NoBuses said:

11 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Oh yes, I agree with that . Just saying that there is a clear difference in the size of bands on the East Main stage compared to the west so we don’t really get six main headliners.

The three main stage West headliners are clearly the real headliners (confirmed further by them playing last)

Agree with both these takes however both BMTH and Halsey wouldn't accept a main stage sub slot which also goes for Catfish and Biffy Clyro so R&L are just trying to maximise there booking potential which is clever because I think there’s less and less RATM, AM, Foos, Muses in the scene these days and a lot more big acts that aren’t or will never be stadium acts ala Royal Blood & Foals. 

29 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

The same 1975 who last time produced an incredible headline set? Vs the same tyler who headlined that lovebox one. I love both but 1975 are bigger here 

Well done sir, a fine achievement considering you are both blind and deaf. 

• Downvote 4

19 hours ago, gfa said:

Not heard of her once, fair enough. Seems like a strange booking though vs someone standard for the festival in such a high slot. On the glasto thread people were talking about her playing afternoon on John Peel which doesn't really reflect that Reading slot

Should give her debut album SAWAYAMA a listen, she's great and I would love to see her in that slot, although I don't think she's ready for it just yet

51 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Find someone in this forum that doesn't rate that headline set, it was excellent 

Me, I was there. My best mate who's a huge fan and seen them before left halfway through to see Camelphat.

Edit: Also saw them in Belgium once and Matty lit stopped a song halfway through to have a go at a guy for having his back turned to the stage, then at the end of the song said he actually loves him and thinks his really cool for having his back turned to the stage like his some sort of rebel, the guy is such a fucking loser these days and the music went to shit when he got off drugs.

Edited by Aech

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The 1975’s headline set was phenomenal. The second best headline set I’ve seen at R&L. They’ll headline MSE next time they play and go down just as well again. 

Indeed. I wasn’t a huge fan but it’s one of the best headline sets I’ve seen at Reading and I’ve seen 60+

9 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Dua Lipa/Foals

Paramore/Royal Blood

Rage Against The Machine/Doja Cat

😉

No way is Paramore going to be one of the big 3, would sell awfully this and a huge step down from this year's lineup

27 minutes ago, gfa said:

No way is Paramore going to be one of the big 3, would sell awfully this and a huge step down from this year's lineup

People really underestimate Paramore. They have been an arena band for over a decade and still play the O2 when they tour, amongst other big arenas. They’ve been away for several years and the appetite will be there. They’re nothing less than a MSE headliner. 

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

People really underestimate Paramore. They have been an arena band for over a decade and still play the O2 when they tour, amongst other big arenas. They’ve been away for several years and the appetite will be there. They’re nothing less than a MSE headliner. 

I don't think they have nearly the same draw as any of this years MSE headliners. I just think theres a lot of better options really that suit the audience better