Maybe it's time for a Download rival

gabrielomachado

18 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah I'd be surprised if they went back to R+L after that!

Idk, Melvin really likes them + their pull far outweighs the couple hundred replies saying “goffs” on Twitter! I would suspect it’s the outspoken minority on Twitter but that’s often all that matters when it comes to marketing.

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

Idk, Melvin really likes them + their pull far outweighs the couple hundred replies saying “goffs” on Twitter! I would suspect it’s the outspoken minority on Twitter but that’s often all that matters when it comes to marketing.

I’m pretty sure Melvin doesn’t worry about what people say on Twitter, if he did he wouldn’t have booked most of the bands he has done.

Every single Reading line up (and every other festival in history for that matter) gets slagged off on Twitter 

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’m pretty sure Melvin doesn’t worry about what people say on Twitter, if he did he wouldn’t have booked most of the bands he has done.

Every single Reading line up (and every other festival in history for that matter) gets slagged off on Twitter 

You can book them but book an accommodating day. 

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You can book them but book an accommodating day. 

That’s easy enough, Rage aren’t a metal band and naturally crossover with rap so you don’t need a day filled with bands like Korn, The Darkness or Slash.

Run The Jewels, Frank Carter, IDLES, Fever 333, Slowthai, Slaves, Enter Shikari etc all work well under Rage and would be expected anyway.

Edited by jump

2 hours ago, jump said:

That’s easy enough, Rage aren’t a metal band and naturally crossover with rap so you don’t need a day filled with bands like Korn, The Darkness or Slash.

Run The Jewels, Frank Carter, IDLES, Fever 333, Slowthai, Slaves, Enter Shikari etc all work well under Rage and would be expected anyway.

talking about Korn, weird to think that not so long ago they got a 3rd down Mainstage spot

7 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

talking about Korn, weird to think that not so long ago they got a 3rd down Mainstage spot

It was their only appearance too, I would have thought they had played loads in 90/00s especially with how popular they were with Follow The Leader at the time.

13 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah you’re right. Normally filled with the “but where’s Arctic Monkeys?????????????” crowd. 

11 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Yeah you’re right. Normally filled with the “but where’s Arctic Monkeys?????????????” crowd. 

Haha, there were people on Twitter still calling for Arctic Monkeys to be added even after the six headliners had been announced.

Some even wanted them as a last minute replacement for Machine Gun Kelly and many predicted they’d be the secret set haha.

11 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

The only time I have DJ was after an a free indie/new band night in a small club, it had a more alternative-indie vibe to it than "dark fruits" indie yet I had three shits keep coming up to me to ask for Arctic Monkeys. It was nearly curfew and the place was almost empty so when they asked me the last time for Monkeys I said yeah sure, so they go back to the dancefloor and I announce the next song is for them to and put Killing In The Name of then I pointed to them everytime "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" was sung.

• Upvote 1

I definitely agree a riff rock festival could have a market in the UK. With Glastonbury basically dominating the large festival space and Parklife / BST only booking bands like this once in a blue moon it does make me wonder where these bands will go. They can’t do Glastonbury every 2 years.

@jump +1 on the riot fest idea.

8 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Haha, there were people on Twitter still calling for Arctic Monkeys to be added even after the six headliners had been announced.

Some even wanted them as a last minute replacement for Machine Gun Kelly and many predicted they’d be the secret set haha.

I think R&L attendees believe AM hold R&L in higher regard than they actually do. It probably not even in their top 3 UK festivals.

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think R&L attendees believe AM hold R&L in higher regard than they actually do. It probably not even in their top 3 UK festivals.

If this new album does come out in the next year or two then you'd have to say either Glasto/BST would be in their sights in 2022/23 and maybe R&L/TRNSMT/Sheffield/stadium tour in 2023/24. Still can't believe they only did arenas last time they were in the UK

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

If this new album does come out in the next year or two then you'd have to say either Glasto/BST would be in their sights in 2022/23 and maybe R&L/TRNSMT/Sheffield/stadium tour in 2023/24. Still can't believe they only did arenas last time they were in the UK

Yeah Glastonbury is 100% more in the thoughts of Arctics than Reading is. They'll do Reading for a payday, they'll do Glastonbury because they love it. Alex has made this very clear before. 

38 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah Glastonbury is 100% more in the thoughts of Arctics than Reading is. They'll do Reading for a payday, they'll do Glastonbury because they love it. Alex has made this very clear before. 

Yeah they'll get a shitload of money for not much work if they do a UK festival or two. Not done Glasto since 2013, R&L since 2014 they're overdue, even for them. TRNSMT and anyone who went got incredibly lucky in 2018

3 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah they'll get a shitload of money for not much work if they do a UK festival or two. Not done Glasto since 2013, R&L since 2014 they're overdue, even for them. TRNSMT and anyone who went got incredibly lucky in 2018

Not off the back off that stinker album they didn't lol. 2013 had AM material ao much better.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not off the back off that stinker album they didn't lol. 2013 had AM material ao much better.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, Tranquility Base was shit, never mind that being the follow up to AM after a five year wait. Musically speaking it's a good album but I don't know what they were thinking with it or that they thought it'd appeal to their core audience.

The lulls when they played anything off it at Sheffield Arena on the 2018 tour were mad, completely lost the room at times

59 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, Tranquility Base was shit, never mind that being the follow up to AM after a five year wait. Musically speaking it's a good album but I don't know what they were thinking with it or that they thought it'd appeal to their core audience.

The lulls when they played anything off it at Sheffield Arena on the 2018 tour were mad, completely lost the room at times

The worst thing Alex did was then trying to start sing classics in the same way as he sings that album. Setlist at Glastonbury 2013 though was spot on and I thought they did well. The only downside was a slow version of Mardy Bum.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, FeverDream said:

Haha truth, though I meant more it was an indication of how Reading n Leeds aren't rock fests anymore.