Maybe it's time for a Download rival

gabrielomachado

This whole topic is something I've been kind of waiting for. For both myself and many of my friends, our music preference sits almost exactly between RandL and Download. 2000 Trees don't quite have the pull of massive acts yet and Slam Dunk is a day event so the UK doesn't have a major festival that really suites me. I know thats because my taste is not as popular as pure metal or shit pop and rap but still I just see American and EU fests that are SOOOOOOO good and it makes me really disapointed 😞

58 minutes ago, kjvffm said:

This whole topic is something I've been kind of waiting for. For both myself and many of my friends, our music preference sits almost exactly between RandL and Download. 2000 Trees don't quite have the pull of massive acts yet and Slam Dunk is a day event so the UK doesn't have a major festival that really suites me. I know thats because my taste is not as popular as pure metal or shit pop and rap but still I just see American and EU fests that are SOOOOOOO good and it makes me really disapointed 😞

If the Euro fests lines up look good you should go to them, the UK fests are massively overpriced compared to mainland Europe.  The major ones like Rock Am Ring and Hellfest are abit cheaper than Download but if you go countries like Croatia they loads cheaper especially when taking into account the booze prices.

Annoying I couldn't get Hellfest tixs as they sold quick but once Rage announce their Euro plans for next year I will probably be going to one just so I don't have to deal with Reading Festival to see them.

1 hour ago, jump said:

If the Euro fests lines up look good you should go to them, the UK fests are massively overpriced compared to mainland Europe.  The major ones like Rock Am Ring and Hellfest are abit cheaper than Download but if you go countries like Croatia they loads cheaper especially when taking into account the booze prices.

Annoying I couldn't get Hellfest tixs as they sold quick but once Rage announce their Euro plans for next year I will probably be going to one just so I don't have to deal with Reading Festival to see them.

Funny you say that I have tickets for Rock For People in (near) Prague next year in what is one of the best line ups I've ever seen for my personal taste :). I also tried for Hellfest but when there were 70,000 in the queue ahead of me I knew I was in trouble. The issue we have getting to Euro fests is the additional day needed to travel there and then by the time you either transport camping gear by plane or pay to stay in a hotel etc rather than camp it's not much cheaper than a UK fest ticket...

3 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I'd love a festival to try something like:

Fri:
Nine Inch Nails
Placebo
Alice In Chains

Sat:
Metallica
Machine Head
Gojira

Sun:
Rage Against The Machine
Cyprus Hill
Public Enemy

Download seem too afraid for it so why not a rival?

I'm pretty sure no fests will ever get Machine Head to play. They are too fussy over logos and their spot on the card. They don't want to do the typical things anymore for some reason like having support bands at their show.

2 hours ago, jump said:

I'm pretty sure no fests will ever get Machine Head to play. They are too fussy over logos and their spot on the card. They don't want to do the typical things anymore for some reason like having support bands at their show.

I think they will. They announced they lost a load of money on their last US tour. A Euro fest run would help them make it back, plus they'd headline a few of the dates ( headlined Wacken before for example).  And the fussyness is cuz they were told by Sonisphere they would sub Metallica and were announced as doing so then Limp Bizkit went into their slot so of course they were upset. Was a major mess up by Sonisphere.

Machine Head don’t want to play 45 minute slots at festivals because they have long songs and too many bangers. Same reason why their touring format is now ‘An Evening With Machine Head’. 

They should have headlined Download 2008. They never will now but if you offered them a 90min Second Stage headline slot at Download, I’d like to think it would twist their arm. 

Imagine Machine Head’s first festival show in yonks being at Download. They’d get such a heroes welcome. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Machine Head don’t want to play 45 minute slots at festivals because they have long songs and too many bangers. Same reason why their touring format is now ‘An Evening With Machine Head’. 

They should have headlined Download 2008. They never will now but if you offered them a 90min Second Stage headline slot at Download, I’d like to think it would twist their arm. 

Imagine Machine Head’s first festival show in yonks being at Download. They’d get such a heroes welcome. 

Machine Head's decision to do "an evening" forever is very egocentric for me. not even huge bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden did it. don't see why they refuse to even have an opening act, it's okay for me to no play at a festival/gig if they are not the headliner anymore, but don't see why to not play with other bands at all

5 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

Machine Head's decision to do "an evening" forever is very egocentric for me. not even huge bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden did it. don't see why they refuse to even have an opening act, it's okay for me to no play at a festival/gig if they are not the headliner anymore, but don't see why to not play with other bands at all

I don't like it because it's very anti-live music not having a support band, it's stopping upcoming bands a chance to grow as well as not letting a bigger night out happen with a band to get the crowd excited.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

Have you been to one of the ‘Evening With…’ shows? They’re absolutely brilliant. I’ve been to several and, even after three hours, I walk away wishing they had played so many other songs. Their fan base is as die hard as they come and they will always sell a lot of tickets under the ‘Evening With…’ format going forward. 

I would be so game for a MH arena run though with some support bands. Imagine a night of Code Orange > Soulfly > Machine Head, for example.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

I'd love a festival to try something like:

Fri:
Nine Inch Nails
Placebo
Alice In Chains

Sat:
Metallica
Machine Head
Gojira

Sun:
Rage Against The Machine
Cyprus Hill
Public Enemy

Download seem too afraid for it so why not a rival?

Placebo wouldn't sub now. I also don't think being placed between those bands would do anything for them. Machine Head are too up their own arse after that one Sonisphere issue, they would get plenty of playing time to sub Download.

Every band could play a lot other songs on a tour but they don't.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Placebo wouldn't sub now. I also don't think being placed between those bands would do anything for them. Machine Head are too up their own arse after that one Sonisphere issue, they would get plenty of playing time to sub Download.

That one Sonisphere thing was in 2009. They played festivals over here numerous times following that. 

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

They did actually play Sonisphere as a special guest in the end

22 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Don't underestimate how big and dedicated the Placebo fanbase is. If A Day To Remember can sub then Placebo can. Download tends to get an older crowd too.

55 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

I think something to rival R&L would be better than a download rival. Pit tent and Indie tent would be good also as they seem to be forgotten about. 

Fri- BMTH, MGK, Enter Shiakri

Sat- 1975, Sam Fender, Yungblud

Sun- Royal Blood, Skepta, Idles 

That doesn’t look like a rival to R+L, it looks like an actual R+L line up

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

I think something to rival R&L would be better than a download rival. Pit tent and Indie tent would be good also as they seem to be forgotten about. 

Fri- BMTH, MGK, Enter Shiakri

Sat- 1975, Sam Fender, Yungblud

Sun- Royal Blood, Skepta, Idles 

So another boring indie fest for indie fans? 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I think they could play 3rd down but I just don't see a sub. I'm aware lol, I was a well listened to fan of them.

We are in agreement for once 😛 Placebo third down or headlining the Second Stage would be an excellent booking. No way they could sub though, I don’t think. 

Thing is I’d like a festival that is just curated perfectly rather than wanting a band that is marginally bigger in whatever slot.

Like the NIN day at Hellfest, Ministry isn’t a big sub but having Killing Joke into Skinny Puppy into Ministry and then NIN is fucking magic or booking Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeath and Metallica altogether at Sonisphere. As opposed to Reading festival thinking booking Rage with The fucking Courteeners is a great shout.

Edited by jump

42 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

With metal acts like Gojira, Ghost, Employed To Serve, Behemoth acts who will never play R&L these days,sort of what RAR do. 

Why would those bands play a fest topped by indie and BMTH though? Why face hostile it small crowds when they could play actual metal fest's instead?