Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

54 minutes ago, Olicopter said:

I’m worried this will be unpopular but I’m really disappointed by the lineup this year 

I wasn't blown away, but it's pretty good, particularly the headliners which won't have been cheap. The problem is so many festivals have had the jump on them this year so we already knew who was doing the rounds this summer – there wasn't a huge amount of surprise, we already knew it was going to be some distillation of what was on at All Points East and mainland EU festivals in August. I doubt there'll be many punters reconsidering going after the lineup dropped though, it's still a good weekend for the price.

3 hours ago, Olicopter said:

I’m worried this will be unpopular but I’m really disappointed by the lineup this year 

Who had you hoped to see? Are you disappointed because of a lack of familiarity, or do you just not like what's there?

I somewhat agree with what others have been saying though, in that it would have looked a lot more impressive if they had released the lineup before pretty much all the other UK/EU fests had released theirs. Still, other fest having good lineups doesn't really affect the quality of this one, and looking through there's already about 40 acts I'd like to check out, plus i'm sure i'll discover even more.

Michael Kiwanuka/Cate Le Bon v Bicep 

Beach House/Low v Ty Segall maybe? hard to work out

Kraftwerk/Kae Tempest v Parquet Courts 

I was thinking BCNR were probably a good shout for Far Out headliner pre-announcement, but then figured they probably wouldn't be announced.  They're a bit difficult to place now. 

Been listening to that Bess Atwell album loads since the clue the other day and she's fuckin great - need more like her! 

On 2/5/2022 at 10:14 PM, benali said:

They've always let people pay extra on the Monday if they want to add on Settlers to their normal ticket. Not sure how much it is.

Don't see why you couldn't set up and come back a few days later, they don't keep tabs on who is coming and going from the site.

Just had a reply from the festival on twitter informing me that the settlers tickets have sold out so no upgrade will be possible at the gate. Damn 😞

10 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Who are your “must sees”? 

For me: Jenny Hval, Ichiko Aoba, Beach House, Cassandra Jenkins, Alex G, Mdou Moctar, Arooj Aftab, Keely Forsyth, WITCH and Low.

Low, Parquet Courts, Deathcrash, Keg, Ichiko Aoba, Mdou Moctar, Ty Segall, Witch, Optimo, Bingo Fury, Lucy Gooch, Strawberry Guy, Tara Clerkin Trio and Maria Somerville mainly because I love her NTS show.

11 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Beach House and Bicep for me.

I need to get into Low as they stuff I’ve heard so far has been alright and they seem the kinda band I’d like - what’s their best album?

Double Negative (and they'll play a lot of it) is their best new one, Things We Lost In The Fire for an oldie. (everyone will give you a different answer which is no bad thing!) 

55 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Beach House and Bicep for me.

I need to get into Low as they stuff I’ve heard so far has been alright and they seem the kinda band I’d like - what’s their best album?

I agree with @Tuna, Things We Lost in the Fire is probably my favourite of their older albums (Sunflower is their best song imo) and while the last few albums are all really good, Double Negative is probably my favourite of those. They’re fairly consistent across their albums, with few disappointments, but I’d say Double Negative or Hey What are decent starting points for what they’ll probably play live.

Agree with the above. They won't play many old songs, I think there were only 2 in the EOTR set when they toured Double Negative.

Hard to name a favourite album. Secret Name is up there for me. Even on the less coherent records like Drums & Guns they pull out a song like Murderer which absolutely incredible.

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Start with HEY What and Double Negative for sure as they will make up most of the set.  Their older albums are great but quite a different style. They do tend to play Sunflower quite a lot though, which is one of their older “hits”.

We'll be able to gauge the set by gigs they play in America beforehand as they generally tour with a show as it is. For example their Glastonbury and EOTR sets were virtually identical in 2019.

They are playing a couple of shows this week I think. I personally haven't seen the play Sunflower for quite a while and they didn't really do it at all on their last tour. I hope they get a long set, would love to see them do 75-90 minutes.

57 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Isn't it looking bit a bit full already, there can't much of any substance to add don't you think?

It’s a big first announcement but I think there’s still 30ish acts to be announced assuming it will be the same size as last year. Most of those will be smaller acts but there may be a handful of more well known names.

Also, I’m confused by the Jessica Winter, Pregoblin and Brian Destiny entry on the poster.  It seems to be a collective group rather than three separate acts even though each are their own respective act in their own right because there are no yellow dots between their names.

None of them are on the line up part of the website.

I think all three are connected as Jessica Winter has worked with Pregoblin, and Pregoblin is some of the Fat White Family guys, and Brian Destiny is another member of Fat White Family.

So is this some form of new collective?  Anyone got any info?

16 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Also, I’m confused by the Jessica Winter, Pregoblin and Brian Destiny entry on the poster.  It seems to be a collective group rather than three separate acts even though each are their own respective act in their own right because there are no yellow dots between their names.

None of them are on the line up part of the website.

I think all three are connected as Jessica Winter has worked with Pregoblin, and Pregoblin is some of the Fat White Family guys, and Brian Destiny is another member of Fat White Family.

So is this some form of new collective?  Anyone got any info?

Jessica Winter is 50% of Pregoblin and also does her own stuff. Brian Destiny is a sometime keyboardist for Pregoblin and also does his own stuff. I imagine it'll just be a set that is mixed between Pregoblin songs, Jessica Winter songs and Brian Destiny songs. Under the banner of Dash the Henge, which I think is their record label.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Jessica Winter is 50% of Pregoblin and also does her own stuff. Brian Destiny is a sometime keyboardist for Pregoblin and also does his own stuff. I imagine it'll just be a set that is mixed between Pregoblin songs, Jessica Winter songs and Brian Destiny songs. Under the banner of Dash the Henge, which I think is their record label.

Perfect - thank you!!  Strange that they’re not on the website in that case.